1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Erm Help - Newbie, cinema and multiroom

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by s8utt, Mar 27, 2005.

1. s8utt

s8utt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I'm new to this place but I'm looking for some expert help :hiya:

I've got 10 50w (Jamo U80) ceiling speakers dotted around the house, http://www.electrovision.co.uk/cat/CAT_PAGE/jamo/ceiling.htm

I've also got a lcd tv in the front room, sky+, dvd player, dvd recorder, ps2 and pc.

What I want if possible is one amp that can handle all of this, I went in the local hifi shop and the saleman pointed me to a Sony 7 x 100w amp ( think it was this one http://www.be-direct.co.uk/productDetails.asp?id=16138 )
    I'm after 2 functions from the amp, either surround sound in the front roomwhen watching movies, Or the 10 ceiling speakers working. I wouldn't want both on at the same time

Is this possible ? The salesman said that I could drive the surround sound through 6 channels and the 10 speakers through the remaining 100w channel

I dont know but it sounds a bit too good to be true.

Is this right, and if not what sort of setup do I need to pull this off, I dont want to spend thousands, my budget would be around £600

Any ideas please ?

Thanks

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    as far as i know this amp has 7 channel surround sound output (ie l, r, c, sl, sr, sbl, sbr), and then it also has another two front speaker outputs for another room (which use the same amplification as normal l and r???). Therefore, someone correct me if im wrong, but run your living room sound of the main outputs and then daisy chain the ceiling speakers off the "B" set, or "zone 2" outputs, and then on the front/remote you can switch between which zone/s you want running.

3. s8utt

s8utt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds cracking, so daisy chain mean connect in parallel or series ?

Also I take it that I wire 5 speakers to one output and the other 5 to the other ?

If this is correct and it'll work that would be cracking

Cheers m8

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    im not sure about the daisy chaining, im still learning all about hi-fi etc and am not sure about impedance when in series etc, from my physics lessons i believe in series the overall resistance (impedance) increases, or adds up, as you go and in parrallel it gets less and less but im not sure how to apply this to audio! we'll both be waiting for an answer from someone else here because im interested!

5. s8utt

s8utt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any more takers ?

6. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    While I haven’t done this, and it is at your own risk

I would wire the speakers up in a combination of parallel and series to try and keep the resistance within the amps tolerance band.

So I would go from the +ve of the amp to the +ve of speaker 1. –ve speaker 1 to + speaker 2 and so on and have three speakers in series. Finally from the –ve of speaker 3 to the –ve of the amp

I would then repeat the remaining 2 speakers along the same lines as above ie from the amp to the amp.

Assuming 8ohm resistance for each speaker, this would present a load of 24ohm and 16ohm respectively for each series. But in parallel, the effective load is <10 ohm.

And, as I said, I take no responsibility for any damages caused.

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    yes to expand on what harry said the load would be 9.6 ohms on the amp (1/24 + 1/16 = 1/R, r=9.6). so what harry is saying is connect a series of three and then in the same output of the amp connect another series of 2? to make the two separate series in parallel, reducing the load to 9.6 ohms, then do the same on the other spare channel to get your 10 speakers!

And, as harry said, I take no responsibility for any damages caused!

8. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Series.

I am glad that my explanation made sense to someone :thumbsup:

Be aware that each pair of speakers will not have an independant volume control. Either they are all on or all off.

9. s8utt

s8utt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks fellas, so its looking good

Just a quick question then, what if I wanted to do this 'properly' what setup would i need ?

10. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10