Erasing from DVD-R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stadleroux, Sep 6, 2004.

1. stadleroux

stadleroux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm on page 17 of the - vs + sticky thread, and as I understood some of the posts in it, I should be able to erase parts of recordings, such as ad breaks, made on a DVD-R, without getting the space back. I guess I must've been mistaken, because I can't see anything about partial erasing on DVD-R in my E-55's manual or the on-screen menus. I can, of course, erase a whole recording/chapter, but why would I want to do that if I won't be getting any space back in return? :confused:

2. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You would be better taking the DVD-r to your PC and editing/authoring it there onto a new disk.

Record onto DVD RAM on you maching then take it to the PC to edit/author onto a DVD-r then you can reuse the DVD RAM.

Regards

Jerry

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    I also thought I could erase part of a dvd-r while losing the space. However, having owned Pan dmr60 and now the 85, I see no way of doing this. Shame really, because it means you have to edit the programme in real time. It's the main reason I bought the 85 with it's 80GB HDD, (and gave my pan 60 to my younger brother).

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    There is no editting on a DVD-R apart from the basics of naming a title, deleting a whole title etc. On some systems you can use the Playlist feature to define what plays and what doesn't but it isn't editting as the content is still their and visible on other DVD players. This is the reason HDD/DVDR combos are so popular - because they DO allow editted recordings to be burnt onto DVD-R.

Neatness I suppose - I agree it doesn't seem very beneficial.

5. stadleroux

stadleroux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, that's probably what I'll end up doing, but I don't have a DVD writer in my PC yet... :rolleyes: At least now I'll know to buy something compatible with what I already have, but it won't be right away!

The Airplane movies are coming soon on one of our local channels - unfortunately, the one with the worst signal for me - but I guess I'll have to record them with ad breaks for now, then I can always edit and rerecord them on new disks at a later stage when I have the DVD writer.