• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Equipment required to upgrade fixed dish to steerable

Rob at Loanhead

Standard Member
I currently use a fixed dish with a quad LNB feeding two twin-tuner Freesat PVRs. What equipment is required to make the dish steerable, and will I need to run extra cabling between the dish and the tuners?

Many thanks,

Rob:confused:

hal8000

You can get a Horizon to Horizon (H-H) motor that supports Diseqc commands. Amazon sell Technomate HHH motors.
You wont need any extra cable. LNB1 goes into the motor, out of the motor and to LNB output 1.

Consult the Humax manual first as not sure if it will accept a diseqc
input and a second input at the same time.

swedish cook

If its a Humax HDR be aware that motorised support is very limited, specifically you will be limited to a single tuner and switching back to dual tuner mode is not quick (you lose all your series recording schedules for one thing).

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Assuming you have a "Sky" dish, wouldn't it be better to leave the current dish in place and go for a custom motorised system, rather than trying to convert?

Much less hassle, possibly a bigger dish, and the existing set up as a reserve!

Good luck. :smashin:

logiciel

I wouldn't think that adapting an existing dish, or using Freesat machines, were good ways of going motorised.

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
There are no good and bad ways.... you just need to decide what you want, how your going to get it and how much your willing to spend.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
The Foxsat is one of the most sensitive receivers there is - put it on a motorised satellite system and it will get that much more out of the dish & the all important weaker satellites, plus it's HD.

There's a Foxsat hidden menu not documented in the manuals or even mentioned in the spec... Once you access that the Foxsats can control diseqc motors using either USALS (automatic setup control) or Diseqc 1.2- (more manual setup motor control but better on Foxsats).

You can motorise a sky dish & get a lot out of one [30+ sats & 1000s of channels] but far better is [a decent] 80cm dish or above (90cm-1m or better a 1.1m now with a new sat at 7w) as better & more free English channels can be received.

When you want to go back to full freesat mode it's just one fast click on the menu & the motor automatically drives back to Freesat & all record options are back on but as said it does drop record setting when you go into motorised mode.

It's not a bad way to go motorised if you already have a Foxsat HD or HDr - mainly due to that tuner sensitivity but there are better receivers for going motorised. BTW.. we install mainly Darkmotor Superiors & dropped TM motors a while back-

swedish cook

... as said it does drop record setting when you go into motorised mode.

It's not a bad way to go motorised if you already have a Foxsat HD or HDr - mainly due to that tuner sensitivity but there are better receivers for going motorised. BTW.. we install mainly Darkmotor Superiors & dropped TM motors a while back-

So, if you go back and forth into motorised mode it becomes a PVR that forgets what to record .... I'd say that qualifies as a bad way to go.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
So, if you go back and forth into motorised mode it becomes a PVR that forgets what to record .... I'd say that qualifies as a bad way to go.

In that you already have a pretty decent HD box that will drive a motor so you don't need to buy another hd receiver.... but it isn't so good that it drops the recording settings & just uses one tuner - if you use the recoding settings a lot -not so bad if you don't use it much, not everyone does.

Actually when you have a decent motorised ... you don't... go back and forth - going back to Freesat is something you would stop doing..

Last edited:

swedish cook

Must disagree, if you leave it in motorised mode its only single tuner which is appalling - much better, if you already have a HDR and you want to occasionally watch channels on other satellites, then better to just attach motor and one of the spare lnb connections to a cheap generic receiver. It does mean that you need to be careful when you move the dish that the HDR doen't want to record, and careful to leave dish back where it started when your done. Not as good as a top end PVR though.

If you don't have a spare lnb connection then you can use a manual switch to switch the connection between the PVR and a generic receiver.

Last edited:

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
Must disagree,...

with what.. I in part agree with you - we know about the issue with HDR- we've installed a lot of motorised systems that use the FoxsatHD or the Foxsat HDr- they've sold more of those than any I know that can also drive motorised satellite... did one a few days ago..

You could get a cheap generic stb but then you really are better off with a decent HD box with a sensitive receiver on motorised & the Foxsat is one of the most sensitive & is HD/ DVB-S2 -so a cheap generic would lose the sensitivity & HD/ DVB-S2.

and when you have a decent motorised you don't use Freesat or FTA on 28e as much -

On balance it has loads of pluses but the hdr has 'that' issue with the single tuner/ record options & the software isn't as slick as I said .. compared to something like a Technomate TM5402HD for the motorised & just leave the Foxsat on Freesat on a sky dish... that is a nice setup .... but another £140.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom