1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

equipment racks, do they really make a difference?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by fred123go, Oct 8, 2003.

1. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,
    I just wanted some of your views on equipment racks for my dvd player, receiver and centre speaker, as i am going to get a projector soon.
    Does a 170 quid rack from hifibitz.co.uk really improve the sound at all to a 49 quid one from ikea? I am obviously, as most of us, to a tight budget and would prefer to spend as little as possible on racks and furniture, and possibly more on cables, which i think it more important.
    Your views will be most appreciated,
    Cheers all,
    Fred

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    i don't think the price is that important, but make sure its of pretty solid build!

Some amps and players can weigh quite a bit, upto 35kgs.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Personally I think your choice of cabinet should be based on asthetics, strength (safety), and the internal space to house everything. Not the manufacturers claim of sonic or visual improvement.

Its only my opinion, but I've never believed they make any difference. So I designed and built my own for £50!
    (fortunately I don't have a wife to tell me how ugly it is!!)

4. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Got mine from Argos, It has a door on to keep little fingers off of the dials and switches.

5. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a rack from Argos, too, for £20. Not sure if it's quite audiophile standard, but it seems to be quite solid, and perfect for my hifi separates.

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have a bloomin' expensive av rack and I can say without fear of contradiction that I can hear b*gger all difference. but it's a smashing piece of furniture and my gear looks great on it ... which is nice.

7. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Think of this as well, solid floor/wooden floor, if you have a wooden floor, then a solid, heavy rack may help. The same only more so for speakers, (Some people fill the bottom of their floor standers with sand!), you've, got to stop resonance. Soft furnishings help in order to nuetralise room as well, particularly carpets. All the reverb/delay etc. is already in the recording. But the biggest difference comes from good speaker positioning. If you have the luxury to experiment, do so to find the sweat spot.

Cheers

Croc

8. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I will vouch for positioning, a tiny movement will affect the sound stage, I spend Hours positioning my speakers just right if I ever have to move them.

9. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I have a Soundstyle equment stand which cost me a cool £400!but it diy inprove the sound from my Arcam cd 92 cd player but that also sits on a Cyrus Isopat platform iam also geting a Michell Gyro SE turntable so in provement in picture and sound is worth the cost in the stand i think the more high end the equment is usuing a proper equipment stand is a must because it stops vibration disturbing picture and sound on less expensive gear a good idea is to use 2 squash balls cut in half put one half in each corner of your dvd player also it works for amp cd player as well

10. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,482
    You tend to get what you pay for...Some features of the more expensive racks include the ability to spirit level the whole rack. Precision engineering so that the individual shelves are level. Building in damping, cable management etc....

So if those features are important to you go for it and they WILL NOT improve sound quality but WILL ensure no further degradation is happening to it.....