Equipment insurance.

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by craigizmo2k2, Sep 11, 2012.

1. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Guys,

After watching a professional drop his 5D MKII after a drunken idiot ran in to him last weekend, I've realised I want to insure my own gear.

Only issue is I don't have receipts for any of my stuff, including pieces like my Sony DSC-F717, Canon 350D and 17-85 IS USM etc etc. Are there any places who won't demand proof before making a claim if something were to happen?

I fully understand why proof is required, I am literally asking because if all places insist on it, there's no point in me insuring my gear. :(

Anyone got any advice to offer?

2. Goody

Goody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    In the event of a claim, an insurer may still require proof that you had the item. I presume you still have the manuals for the items, which would at least go some way to demonstrating some form of ownership. Alternatively, why not take photos of the items together.

An insurer is right to expect some form of proof of existence before settling a claim.

3. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Good advice.
    My brother just claimed for a stolen bike he bought second hand on the basis of photo's of him riding it, so well worth doing. :smashin:

4. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Oh is that passable, then? I have lots of photos of my gear being in use (by me) :D

Do we know of any insurance companies which this has worked with? With the equipment I am about to buy, I will actually have receipts, I just don't want to end up paying for insurance for stuff I might not be able to claim on.

I would hope a claim is never going to be placed, but as I'm getting more and more in to the hobby...and I now have a step daughter....*shudder*

5. eddiewood

eddiewood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,145
    Why not just ask them?

6. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    I have emailed one yesterday (can't recall the name) but it was recommended historically on here and was NOT E&L!!

I'll make some phone calls this weekend.

7. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    You know that a lot of household insurance policies will cover photographic gear, even pro gear? Usually, if a particular item of equipment is above a certain amount you will just have to actually list it in your insurance but often the value is over £1500 for a single item. Often the only time you really need dedicated camera insurance is if you are a pro and earning money from photography and therefore need public liability insurance etc as well as cover for your gear. If you look at the wording of most/all dedicated camera insurance policies you'll see that you don't really get any additional cover. For example you still can't leave your gear unattended and some still have very particular policies about leaving gear in a locked car and not just about not leaving it on display but what types of locks the car has and where the car is parked.

8. SevloW

SevloW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,173
    Yeah, my house contents, with accidental damage, covers my camera gear wherever I am, including overseas on holiday.

9. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,560
    I wouldn't bother with separate insurance unless you have some very expensive professional gear that might not be covered by good home insurance as mentioned above or you do dangerous activities that might be excluded.

I would imagine that pros with their thousands of pounds worth of gear do have separate specific insurance of course

10. Christms789

Christms789
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Take photos of all your equipment and their serial numbers. The latter is particularly useful if the equipment is stolen. It gives you some chance of getting the gear back IF the police recover it. Take some of you holding each of them. With luck this should satisfy most insurance companies.

Think twice about claiming on home insurance. I did when I damaged a lens. It cost me more in increased premiums over the following years than I got from the insurance company for the lens after they had taken the excess off.