1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equalisers and turntables and DVD/CD stuff

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by BT52, Jan 22, 2003.

1. BT52

BT52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Um, basically in need of some advice.
    I have a Marantz 6200 surround sound amp which I use for DVDs and CDs.
    I have Mordaunt-Short 900 series speakers and am currently using a PS2 as the DVD/CD player.

I would like to
    a) Incorporate a graphic equaliser into it somewhere, but can't see how to.
    b) Get a better DVD/CD player if people think it is worth it?
    c) Get a half-decent turntable

Any suggestions ?

Mark

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    a) Cant help you there !! why do you need one in the first place ? These should generally be avoided.
    b) Definitely worth it IMHO : you can pick up a Tosh 220 for pennies and it will blow your PS2 into the weeds in all departements apart from playing games :)
    c) Another definate yes, you should look a Project Debut Phono TT, this has an inbuilt phono stage (which your amp may lack) and costs a paltry £140.

Good luck !!

3. BT52

BT52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.
    Regarding the EQ point. I understand the reluctance for purists to use them, but my system didn't exactly cost thousands, and my room is hardly ideal.

I also don't believe that the production of every CD around is done to my taste, some are truly awful, and I would rather suffer a negligible loss in quality for a sound I prefer, but I don't want something REALLY bad. I suppose I ought to get a better player than the PS2 and then judge perhaps?

I'll look into the DVD player and TT you suggested.

Cheers
    Mark

4. BT52

BT52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't help noticing the Toshiba 220e for about £185 supports DVD-A as well.

I assume it has everything the 220e does? Except it doesn't come in black, which is really irritating...

MArk

5. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
  6. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Mark your post makes no sense dude FWICT, for one the Tosh 220e does not support DVD Audio. Are you thinking of another DVD player here ?

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    First off ... I assume that Mark meant the Toshiba SD520 was that DVD-A player. Before getting off on one at him please remember that a 2 is below the 5 on the numeric keypad. I also find it ammusing his compaint is that it's NOT avaliable in black when so often we get posts moaning that someone loves the sound of a speaker or DVD player or Amp but it's ONLY in black or NOT in the right shade of Silver or Gold. :)

Anyway ... about the only place you're likely to get a Graphic Equaliser is from a professional sound dealer ... but I urge you not to. The biggest weekness in your system is your source ... and buying an EQ isn't going to do Jack **** for the sound going into your amp. In fact I'm not even going to tell you how you **could** connect it cause then you might be tempted to try it!!

First, get yourself down to Richer Sounds. Ask them nicely and they'll sell you a Toshiba SD220e for under £100 (£120 multiregion). This will drastically improve your DVD playback and would be a resonable improvement for your CDs too.

Now while you're at Richer Sounds, ask them nicely again and you'll walk away not only with the Toshiba SD220e, but also with a Sony XE570 CD player. This will blow the Toshiba out the water when you're playing CDs through the analogue inputs on your SR6200. And the price of all this ... just another £100 so you'll total spend will be £220 if you go multiregion. Even better would be a NAD C521i CD player but that will be £200 or so.

Now just to finish everything off ... while at Richer Sounds, get a Cambridge Audio Arctic interconnect for £20 (if you're feeling slightly flusher get the Pacific at £10 more) and then get the cheepest piece of co-ax digital wet string as they have - if they don't have anything cheeper get a 1m Cambridge Audio Atlantic interconnet and just use half of it.

All for around £250 you'll end up with the sources and cables to connect into your SR6200 that will give you more improvement in sound than spending £500 on a Graphic Eq ever could.

And by all means spend more on components ... if you want DVD-A then look at the Toshiba 520 (it's £220 at Richer Sound multi-region) or if you want to try DVD-A and also SACD look at the Pioneer 656 - remember if you go for DVD-A / SACD you'll also need 3x stereo interconnects. I would urge you to find the £100 for a dedicated CD play whatever DVD you buy unless you can afford a Denon 2800MkII at a minimum or even better something like the Arcam DV88+ (but these start at £750 for the Denon and £1000 for the Arcam).

Victoria

8. BT52

BT52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! Thanks for all that.
    Yes I did mean 520, (would love to use the "numeric keypad - my finger slipped" excuse, but sadly I tend to use the keys under the function keys, so brain failure is the sad truth...).

I'm amazed people complain about black units, whenever I go into Comet/Currys etc I see a sea of silver. I still haven't got a widescreen TV because they are are almost all silver!

I'm actually not all THAT bothered about the DVD side of things, I just wanted a decent CD player and thought a DVD player would be just as good for these prices.

I guess not though....:blush:

Going to have to rethink, do CD players get significantly better above £100, and why would I pass an analogue signal into the amp? :confused:

9. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Yes ... as you move up the price bracket CD players get better ...

I would say £100 (this is RRP £140 I think) on a Sony XE570 is the least you should spend ... it's significantly better than anything avaliable below it in price. Then above that I would look at the NAD C521i at £200 ... then you'll see a step up in quality to a NAD C541i at £350 or a Arcam Diva CD62T at a similar price. Then moving up to £600 you find the Arcam CD82T which is significantly better again ... but above the C541i / Arcam CD62T you'll find that your SR6200 becomes a significant hinderance to the sound ... even the C521i sounds better with a £500 integrated stereo amp than it will with the SR6200.

Personally for a CD player to put with the SR6200 I'd be look at £200 for a NAD C521, or if you want matching kit I think RS have a Marantz 6000OSE (think thats right model number) for around £240.

You'd want to use Analogue interconnects between your CD player and Amp because the CD player will have better DAC (digital to analogue conversion) circuits for music than the Marantz SR6200 ... in fact CD players normally have better DAC circuits than a complementary priced AV Amp / Reciever / Processor would - i.e. the £200 NAD is better than your SR6200, and a Arcam FMJ CD23 has better DAC than the FMJ AV8 (for music). Hope that makes sence!

Anyway ... in summary ... to improve your music you need to buy a CD player ... a <£200 DVD player just won't cut it for music. However ... a £100 DVD player WILL be significantly better than using your PS2 as a DVD player.

Victoria

10. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  11. BT52

BT52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, that's all a great help.
    I'm convinced by the seperate CD player argument.
    I'll look at the NAD and Marantz (hope they're black;) )

Thanks Gary, Not black, but I'll wait and see what a decent CD player sounds like first before diving into that area now.

Mark

12. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Do I sound that uptight ? :eek:

13. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    You sounded like you were having a bad day :))

14. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    The NAD is a kinda charcole / battleship / very dark grey ... not exactly black ... but almost.

The Marantz is black.

15. BT52

BT52

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can find the 6000 LE for £213, but also the 6000 KI for £299.

My feeling is that the LE is probably better value?

Regarding turntabkes Project Debut II does seem to get good reviews. Are there any others I should consider?

Mark

16. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Rega P2 - around £200 plus cartridge ... but you'll also probably need a phono pre-amp.