EQ'ing Speakers

gpt

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this is in the wrong section - But as there are people here who build speakers, i figured this section is where the knowledgeable response may be. I Was just wondering how you guys go about EQ youre DIY or existing speakers.

Ive got my subs now where I am happy with the curves I can create/manipulate - and how they perform. So ive switched my focus to my XTZ cinema series. Ive no doubt these are excellent speakers but they have sometimes sounded bright or harsh to me compared to my Kef towers of old. I have just don a sweep and decided to focus on the 100hz-500hz range (with particular emphasis on the 100-250 bass range)

1596207503368.png

You can see where my nice sub line rolls off after 100hz and the speakers kick in. These have been calibrated with Audyssey only on a marantz sr7011 with no Dynamix EQ or volume (Yellow line)

I then tried a *ROUGH* treatment of a room with a load of heavy feather sofa cushions stacked all of the way up the corners and along my rear wall and in reflection spots of my front speakers just to see if I got any big variation - which is the red line - and as you can see - not really.

So how do you guys go about EQ your DIY speakers? Do you dial; into audyssey a bit more with the app and set your own curves? Ratbuddysey? or get extra hardware like the mini DSP's?

Correct me if im wrong but a 20db range between a lot of the frequencies seems excessive - especially when we work hard to get such variation down to 5dbs on our subs

If any mods feel this is in the wrong section I apologise and just move it on :)

Dirac all the way

Dirac all the way
Yeah I havent got DIRAC - But im getting somewhere. I bought the Marantz app - Editted my target curve and stopped Audyssey correcting frequencies above 450hz. It was making things worse by increasing volume of higher frequencies! It always made the speakers sound a little harsh so im glad ive got the App - especially after a lot of the negatives I heard about it. Ive got a network cable running straight from my marantz AVR into the modem and ive had no connection issues what so ever.

I would be interested to see what sort of target curves some guys work to, or any other tips and tricks people have. Theres so many pages and pages of threads out there on audyssey its hard to pool together the knowledge

Im also curious what the normal db variation is across the frequencies and how detectable this actually is to our hearing. Then I need to look at correcting the issues...

You’re asking all the right questions, some of which I would like answers too. My freq response is flat +-4db from 15-100hz, bar a null at 40hz. I too found audessy to be way to bright and harsh to listen to when correcting high frequencies, it did a decent job of the bass but it tried to correct the null at 40hz by bringing the whole spectrum down to within 4db of it, therefore eating a lot of extra spl headroom, i scrapped audessy altogether and am now back with my trusty Yamaha A3050, I prefer what YPAO has done!

Try taking a target line around 75 dB between peaks and nulls,dont get too hung up on graphs they don't sound as good as they look as we all have sound preferences.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom