Epson's new Eh-TW 6600 entry level pj with lens shift

Hi mate, would you mind commenting on the fan noise when you test this new epson tomorrow? Many thanks :)

you need to do your own review as in seeing it for yourself ;)

I`ve got one here in the morning fresh outta the box so I`ll be looking at it myself here :smashin:

Brilliant Allan, let us know what you think of it ;) cheers

Hi mate, would you mind commenting on the fan noise when you test this new epson tomorrow? Many thanks :)

the fan noise is 23db according to the spec on epsons site in Eco mode but I'll have a listen for you

Many thanks sir.

well I`ve just had a morning with the new Epson 6600

first impressions getting it out of the box is that's it feels like a very sturdy projector, I`m talking case sturdiness now btw, very solid and in no way can this be called a flimsy plastic pj at all

lens adjust from the front, zoom and focus felt very smooth, the adjustable top controls for up/down - left/right felt typical Epsonesq so nothing bad to report their at all

box contains 1 pair of 3d glasses and all the usual paraphernalia, disc and instructions

so I fired it up and in 5 mins I was looking at a very nice 3.0mtr width image filling my screen nicely, nothing bad to report at all tbh, it looked good, ok not as good as the 9200 but lets face it, its half the price

so with no calibration done whatsoever, the image was sharp, colourful, very decent black level especially for a pj at this sort of price point, this was in eco mode, iris turned off btw. I think SHR was set to 3 and no darbee was being used

Fan noise, certainly in eco mode its no different as far as I could tell to any other Epson I`ve set up here and I`ve had them all, normal or high lamp for 3d brings the fan noise up but it does with them all, certainly in eco mode I couldn`t hear the pj at all once a normal listening level film had started

I left the auto iris off as well as I don`t use them so nothing to say about that really

at £1399 its a bargain and less than a decent 55" tv panel, put this in a living room with an ambient type screen in their and it`ll do well, very well

Allan :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Sounds Great ! Many thanks for the review especially re the fan noise.

Hi, Allan thanks for the info but now that you've the 6600 in action how would you compare to the 3200? thinking of getting one but if its not much of an improvement might wait and save up the pennies for a 9200, cheers for your advice

Hi, Allan thanks for the info but now that you've the 6600 in action how would you compare to the 3200? thinking of getting one but if its not much of an improvement might wait and save up the pennies for a 9200, cheers for your advice

its been about 3 years maybe 4 since I`ve seen a 3200 so its a difficult one to answer, maybe impossible to give an honest one as well, what I can say is the 6600 from opening the box to 5 mins later didn`t look too bad at all, colour looked a bit saturated on normal mode I think it was but backing it off I think 3-4 notches made the flesh tones look a lot better

would I save up for a 9200? well take a read of this taken from Projector Central and I`ll let you decide

Projector Central say:
"Epson Home Cinema 5030UB, which was released last fall, but which now features a mid-life kicker with a firmware upgrade that noticeably improves detail definition. After viewing the upgraded 5030UB, we conclude a couple of things. First, the firmware upgrade is well worth the time to seek out for any current owner of the 6030, 5030 or 4030 models. It very noticeably improves detail resolution, and it is highly unusual to see a projector firmware upgrade have such an obvious impact on image quality. Prior to the upgrade the 5030 could not match the Sony HW40's sharpness and detail resolution. Now that gap has been closed and the two projectors are almost indistinguishable when it comes to image sharpness.”

also at my Atmos event this weekend 3 people actually said that my 9200 was one of the best images they`d seen and I haven`t done the fw update yet either lol

Allan :smashin:

Cheers again Allan, looks like you've made my mind up for me better carry on saving the pennies lol, I knew the 9200 was always going to be better but when the 6600 came along it tempted me because it's affordable for me at this point in time.

I have an Epson TW3200 & have to say the PQ is excellent with great colour accuracy. After reading Alan's comments I thought the 6600 might be a good move to get 3D but having read the AVF review of the 6600W by Phil Hinton I have been put right off! Clearly the 9200 would be a better option if you can afford it but I'm really surprised that Epson would in fact go backwards quality wise from the 3200 at this pricepoint?

Are there any more opinions on the Epson 6600? Basically I need a projector with wireless HDMI, horizontal lens shift and front facing exhaust vent (s) as it will be shelf/bookcase mounted against a rear wall. The avf review put me off initially but after more reading various opinions of the USA versions of the same projector (3500/3600e-wireless) and a couple of reviews linked in the thread over there, the concensus from across the pond seems more positive. Talking of virtually crosstalk free 3D, a fantastic bright image and decent motion. The only real downside that everyone agrees with are the black levels which are not great. I'll be using in a darkened room but with white/cream walls so a deep black level doesn't concern me too much. I know there are better projectors (for image quality) available for not much more money, but the main problems there are;

Epson 7200 - no wireless included.
Epson 9200 - wireless version available but beyond my budget.
Sony HW40 - no wireless & rear facing exhaust.

Also I was looking at the Benq 1070 and variants (short throw etc). I could bypass the need for wireless HDMI and H.lens shift with a short throw but I just don't fancy having the projector parked in the middle of the room with the kids running about - as the kids will get their fair share of time watching their films.

So I'm swaying towards the 6600w again but would love to see some more UK users opinions before I decide.

Cheers

to be fair it's best to have a demo but lets be realistic here

there simply is nothing as good as this Epson which will do what you want it to do until you get to the 9200W

and with the promotion that's going it really should be a no brainer

Allan :smashin:

Are there any more opinions on the Epson 6600? Basically I need a projector with wireless HDMI, horizontal lens shift and front facing exhaust vent (s) as it will be shelf/bookcase mounted against a rear wall. The avf review put me off initially but after more reading various opinions of the USA versions of the same projector (3500/3600e-wireless) and a couple of reviews linked in the thread over there, the concensus from across the pond seems more positive. Talking of virtually crosstalk free 3D, a fantastic bright image and decent motion. The only real downside that everyone agrees with are the black levels which are not great. I'll be using in a darkened room but with white/cream walls so a deep black level doesn't concern me too much. I know there are better projectors (for image quality) available for not much more money, but the main problems there are;

Epson 7200 - no wireless included.
Epson 9200 - wireless version available but beyond my budget.
Sony HW40 - no wireless & rear facing exhaust.

Also I was looking at the Benq 1070 and variants (short throw etc). I could bypass the need for wireless HDMI and H.lens shift with a short throw but I just don't fancy having the projector parked in the middle of the room with the kids running about - as the kids will get their fair share of time watching their films.

So I'm swaying towards the 6600w again but would love to see some more UK users opinions before I decide.

Cheers
There are aftermarket wireless HDMI options if you decide that the Epson TW7200 (or Sony) is more to your liking. The TW7200 offers a more flexible lens shift, if required in your setup?

Hello everyone

Haven't posted for a while. Just getting back into the world of projectors having been forced to sell my Optoma hd20 prior to moving house a couple of years ago.

Am now looking at either an Epson tw3200 (£790 from Epson, plus £85 for 3 year warranty extension) or tw6600 (£1099 from Richer Sounds, with Epson's warranty topped up to 5 years). Am looking at LCD due to the long throw and placement flexibility.

Am currently favouring the tw6600. Am factoring in the 3D capability (although that's not a biggie for me) and the speakers. Presumably the wireless transmitter that comes with the tw6600w could be added at some point in the future, too, if I wanted wireless capability?

Just wondered what you might think? All opinions/views welcomed, especially if you've owned or used both projectors. Is the 6600 worth the extra outlay? And what are the most striking differences in terms of performance? Thanks for your help - not easy to find a tw3200 to demo now.

cheers, Phil.

Last edited:
Richer Sounds online out of stock.

I just bought a TW6600 at my local Richer Sounds (Reading) for £1069. Phoned 'em up and asked if they had any and they did so I went down and picked it up. Having previously owned a Sanyo PLV-Z3 I was surprised at how much sharper and brighter the Epson really is (then again, it is ten years newer and 1080p compared to 720p, so I guess I shouldn't be). Also surprised there doesn't seem to be a reduced power bulb setting like there is on a Sanyo, or for that matter that there's not an Epson TW6600 owners thread on AVForums. But generally it seems to have been a good purchase, though I've only watched one movie so far and I am having trouble pairing my Samsung 3D glasses with it (have been told by three separate outlets that they are supposed to be compatible with each other, just have to mess about with that some more, I guess).

Regards

Mark

Is there not an Eco bulb setting on it?

Have ordered mine need to pick up this week. What warranty did you get as Richer Sounds have changed their policy.

They wanted to flog me a six year thing but I'll use it so relatively little that I didn't bother, it being 10% of the price.

If there is an eco setting I can't find mention of it in the manual, nor in the menus.

Regards

Mark

I am having trouble pairing my Samsung 3D glasses with it (have been told by three separate outlets that they are supposed to be compatible with each other, just have to mess about with that some more, I guess).

Hah, turns out that I had managed to somehow pick two of my five Samsung glasses that had run down their batteries to such an extent that they would not pair with the projector. I only had a short time to test yesterday and when the first two glasses wouldn't pair I started to think they simply weren't compatible, but trying again this evening with a third set it paired immediately, and thus I can confirm that Samsung glasses do work (when the battery's fresh enough) with the TW6600. Phew, wasn't looking forward to purchasing four more sets of Epson's own at £70 a pop.

Regards

Mark

There's not much on the forums about the tw6600 but it looks decent from the reviews.

I have a 1 gain electric screen and mostly light grey walls (the ceiling is blue) - the projector would mostly be used in the evening for blurays but would be used in the day sometimes for the footy.

I need lens shift and the depth of most of the competition is a limiting factor (the sony and JVCs are just too deep for where it's going)

What would be better for me - this or the panasonic At6000? Actually not much in it price wise.

I went for the Epson as Richer Sounds do it for £1069 and is easily available to me, whereas they don't do the Panasonic, but Amazon do do it for £1250 so quite a bit more. If RS did do it I would have definitely considered it as I gather it's got a slightly quieter cooling system, but I can't fault the Epson for throwing a very bright, sharp 1080p picture, so I'm happy I bought it.

Regards

Mark

If it's of any interest to anyone I've solved a problem I was having with my 6600. Namely it would randomly drop out the picture about an hour and half into a film - screen would just go completely black. Wait twenty seconds and it would come back on, the sound having continued via the AV amp all the while so necessitating a rewind to catch what we lost. Irritating to say the least! At first I figured it was possibly too long an HDMI lead so dropped from 10m to 7.5m, but that didn't fix it. So tried an HDMI in-line booster, both at the AV amp end, and then at the projector end. Again no fix. I thought I'd got it by adding a Lumagen processor to the chain, but that too didn't fix it either.

So then I tried messing with some of the projector settings. I removed all power switch-off timers I could find. Didn't help. Then switched off the HDMI control completely - didn't help either, so then I switched it off at the AV amp end too. That didn't help. By now I was running out of options, so as a final try I switched HDMI control back on in the Epson but switched off the two sub-catagories of 'Power On' and 'Power Off'. I also switched the HDMI cable to feed into HDMI 2, the non-MHL port on the Epson. And wouldn't you know it, bingo, not had a single drop out since in several movie screenings!

Now I haven't wanted to jinx it by going back and seeing if it was the change in the HDMI settings, or the switching ports, or a combination of both (I actually suspect it was the HDMI settings that worked, though why they should I really don't know). I've even less idea why it might be the MHL port.

So there you are, if you're getting random picture drops late into a film try setting your HDMI Power On, Power Off settings both to disabled. It might just save you some hair.

Regards

Mark

Are you connected to a twin output AV receiver perchance, with a TV on the other out
?
I have this issue with other projectors, and it is actually down to the behaviour of my Sony TV.

In "quick startup" mode; it remains in a mode for about an hour where the HDMI is still connected to the receiver. After the hour is up it shuts down (you hear a relay click in the TV) and at that point exactly the AV receiver drops out then comes back.

In my case the "fix" is to disable quick startup mode. This makes the TV power down fully about 2 minutes after going into standby, which is just about enough time for me not to care - it takes almost a minute for the projector to warm up to watchable.

That's interesting, and yes I am, but it's a Samsung not a Sony and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a 'quick start' mode to mess with anyways. But with my fix turning off the 'power off' settings maybe it's doing something similar? It would appear to be HDMI related whatever it is.

Regards

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom