Epson vs Optoma

evilkash

Standard Member
Options for Projector are:

1. Epson EH TW 5900 or 6000
2. Optoma HD 33 or 300X

Budget being around £1200 max

Any help or input would be appreciated!

I know there are forums on the Epson range (and Optoma) but limited comparison and I got very tired after the 30th page of posts so as a begginer any help or input would be appreciated.

Ill be using it for Movies, Playstation and Music channels. I want 3D though I wont use it much yet, likely to increase in future, and full HD.

Do both of these support 1.4a HDMI? (I know 3D can run off fast 1.3 cables)

thanks!

AV Online

AVForums Sponsor
If you're considering an Optoma then the first thing I would check is if you're susceptible to seeing rainbows with DLP projectors and if so, whether you can live with it or if it's a deal breaker. Personally I've preferred the W6000 over the HD33 out of the two we've had in our showroom for both 2D and 3D performance.

evilkash

Standard Member
Excellent advice, thank you. If the picture quality (assuming Rainbow-ing is not a good thing but I know it doesnt bother / affect everyone) is better on the Epsom then i'll go for that

Any idea if it utilises full 1.4 (i.e. is it real 3D)?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Taking image quality out of it as I have seen neither projector, the main differences between LCD and DLP are.

DLP tends to have more on screen pop.
You don't have to worry about dust blobs.

LCD are quieter
Epson warranty is slightly better in that the bulb is covered for 3yrs (for a 1 off replacement).

The other reason LCD are usually better is they have lens shift and better zoom which helps with placement unfortunately Epson have missed it off the 5900/6000 so no advantage there.

AV Online

AVForums Sponsor
LCD are quieter
Epson warranty is slightly better in that the bulb is covered for 3yrs (for a 1 off replacement).

The other reason LCD are usually better is they have lens shift and better zoom which helps with placement unfortunately Epson have missed it off the 5900/6000 so no advantage there.

The W6000 certainly seemed much quieter to me, especially when on eco but it's still a long way off the 4400's soft whir. There is horizonal as well as vertical keystone on the Epson vs only vertical on the Optoma but with correct positioning you won't want to be using either anyway.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I'll agree with the fact that the 4400 is better than the EH-TW6000 on performance, but when comparing it against the HD33 things are a lot closer due the Optoma being a single chip DLP projector. The Optoma is slightly sharper and offers 3D whereas the EH-TW4400 cannot offer 3D.

Of course both Epsons are brighter than the Optoma and the 4400 is on a par with the HD33 on black levels yet can be used in almost daylight conditions which defies the standard usage of a home cinema projector (not to bad effect either).

The EH-TW6000 is where is should be with the technology differences at it's price point and people who view this projector are amazed as are we with it's performance levels and it far better than it should be at it's price point.

There have always been differences between DLP vs LCD and the 3D technology has shown that this is still true. DLP single chip isn't for everyone though, hence why it's importance to see both in action and another reason why we always offer a realist demonstration to any one who wishes to see the differences between them.

In a nutshell though both projectors are fantastic and have help bring 3D to the market at an amazing price. Even though neither projector has lens shift this has not put anyone off them when making a purchase.

I would also like to mention that if you are demoing both projector's! Ask if either has any keystone added as neither are fantastic once applied and you will only see the full potential of these projectors once this has been set to zero. If you do need to use keystone ask for your demonstrator to add some to see what happens to the image!

It's also very easy to summarise both the both projectors as the Epson offers a brighter image which makes it even better with 3D for those who want more punch with 3D when wearing the 3D eyewear, yet the Optoma offers a more rounded cinematic image with 2D with less brightness in 3D mode.

All in all both of these two 3D projector excel and neither of them are bad in any way. It's all down to what you expect for the projector and which image you prefer. I always say trust what you see with your own eyes and ignore everything else.

Regards, Shane.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom