Epson V600 not scanning full image

steve12

Hi,
I have upgraded to an Epson V600 from a Canon Lide 110 to do some photo achieving. I have different sized photos ranging over the last 100 years both B&W and Colour. If I place the photos around the edge of the scanner or say a photo in each corner when scanning multiple photos there seem to be a part missing as if the scanner isn't scanning to the edges. I am scanning the the photos at 48bit and 1200dpi. i know this is probably a bit overkill but space isn't really an issue. The software I have used is Epson Scan, Epson Scan 2 and Silverfast 8 SE.
Any help and guidance would be appreciated
Thanks
Steve

steve12

I'll give it a go, cheers mate

stearman65

Hi Steve
I have a Canon Lide but only use it for documents & creating PDF files. I assume you have checked the Epsom manual to see if or how to scan multiple images?

steve12

Hi
Hi Steve
I have a Canon Lide but only use it for documents & creating PDF files. I assume you have checked the Epsom manual to see if or how to scan multiple images?
Hi Stearman65,
It's the same if I only do one photo, if you put the photo anywhere near the sides or in the corner of the scanner you loose some of the scan. Never happened with my canon lide it just used to scan the whole image.

steve12

steve12

I will post some examples of the scans later on today

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
So the info. In the Epson link didn't help?

stearman65

Hi Steve
Just had a look at the manual & read that what you are scanning should be placed 20mm from the edge of the scanning bed & 20mm apart for multiple images. I've attached a link to the manual which seems you have to set tabs & what have you for it to perform. Without the scanner I can't go any further. Epson scanner Just one other thing, most flat bed scanners have a lock button to prevent damage during transporting, has yours & is it unlocked?

steve12

Hi Steve
Just had a look at the manual & read that what you are scanning should be placed 20mm from the edge of the scanning bed & 20mm apart for multiple images. I've attached a link to the manual which seems you have to set tabs & what have you for it to perform. Without the scanner I can't go any further. Epson scanner Just one other thing, most flat bed scanners have a lock button to prevent damage during transporting, has yours & is it unlocked?
Thanks mate, seems like you have to place your photos away from the edges so that they don't crop part of the photo off. Absolutely crazy to be fair as it makes lining up the photos straight on the scanner difficult. may end up sending it back and getting the cannon lide 400, it should be good enough for achieving my photos. will have a look at setting tabs that you mentioned although didn't notice any to start with. Thanks again mate.

steve12

So the info. In the Epson link didn't help?
Hi,
No mate , couldn't find the setting that the instructions mentioned. It could just of been me though.
Thanks anyway

steve12

Well there's more than one way to skin a cat as they say , made a quick border guide out of some black card I had. Seems to of done the trick. for the price of the printer you would think that they would include a plastic guide.
Thanks everyone for your help
Steve

Attachments

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
But it appears to be scanning the whole of the black strip though? Presumably if you scan A4 it doesn't chop bits off which might be what it appears to have done here.

Was going to say mine needs a small space at the "top" of the scan to calibrate for transparencies.

steve12

Hi,
Yes initially the black strip is scanned but you can crop the photos before the final scan. The image was scanned at 1200dpi 48bit colour and come out at about 85mb each. Its not the best solution to be fair, but its the best I can do. Am in two minds if I should send the scanner back and get the Canon Lide 400 and then get a dedicated scanner for doing negatives and slides or make the best of the v600

Attachments

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
It sounds like the auto-detect function is not working correctly. I found the Epson scan software would sometimes zoom in on the prescan when it felt like it which gave a perception of cropping. In fact thinking about it my HP would often do the same.

What standalone scanner were you thinking of as they seem to be few and far between either cheap (and nasty) or relatively expensive? They are certainly not as convenient as the Epson range in terms of their Auto scanning.

I think it would be a step backwards if you went to the Canon Lide. It's not all about that claimed resolution that they can do.

steve12

I was thinking of the LIDE400 originally as I had been using the Lide110 and it was fine but I saw the good reviews on the v600 so thought I would upgrade. The v850 was out of my price range and more scanner than I would ever need. There only really seems to be the V600 in the price range, as you said their either dirt cheap or really expensive. There's the V550 but if that has the same problem with cropping the edges then no point in getting it.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
It's the software cropping the edges though as I was meaning that on your screenshot of the scan you can see all of the black borders from what I can tell. If the scanner didn't scan to the edge then you would have that cropped too. It's settings rather a physical issue.

AMc

Distinguished Member
I have an Epson v370 - it's auto detect is a bit zealous with cropping (see below) with the Green square icon selected
I don't have any problems with it over cropping if you select the marquee and then it's fine.

1610618289322.png

It won't scan to the very edge of the glass on the hinge side beyond the embossed indication of the Letter paper format.
Now I look closely there is also set of registration marks at the top where the scan starts on the opposite side to the hinge - that indicates it might lose the first couple of mm if you but the image right up into the corner.

FWIW unless you're doing something with those scans like printing them several times bigger than the originals then you're scan settings are very much more than you need.
For reference my camera takes JPG at 350 dpi - 4608x3456 pixels (roughly 16Mp) and that's good enough to print well over A4 (According to GIMP - it's 33cm x 25 at 350dpi).
The Epson default for print photographs destined to be printed is 300dpi
If you're scanning at massively beyond the resolution of the screen then the scan may not look great - when you zoom in to 1:1 pixels on screen then it's going to look grainy too.
You need that higher dpi for negatives and slides but that's a whole new adventure!

steve12

The only way that I can get full scans is to first put down a border then put the photo up to it. You basically cant put the image anywhere along the edge of the scanner without losing some of the image.

steve12

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett