Epson TW9400/7400 information

I got a Draper react from Alan at ideal. It's fantastic. Draper accidentally sent a white one first so I used that to set up while they re-sent the order and it was terrible. It was in a bright Living room though and at night it was a good bit better but we can use the draper react screen during the day and it's pretty good for rugby etc. The white one would have had me sending the projector back!
When I say grey screen I'm talking about 0.8-0.9 gain screen. They're no where near as good as a light rejecting screen in a bright environment such as your living room but do perform better than white.

news update

after speaking with Chris this morning i'm thinking delivery will be next week now if i'm honest, their are 3 deliveries in the pipeline over the next 3 weeks so stock is definitely on the way i'm told.

Warranty

the warranty which i'm including from Epson is 5 years on the actual projector and 3 years on the lamp or 5000 hours, i asked if it was unlimited lamp warranty and Chris is asking the question. i'm thinking but hope i'm wrong, that it will be 3 years on a single lamp

Allan

For a normal living room I would agree, but I’m wondering with my properly light controlled room which includes the walls/ceiling will I truly benefit from a grey screen over a white one.

Cool, I was just re-enforcing the other users post. I don't have experience in your conditions so I can't speak to that

Cool, I was just re-enforcing the other users post. I don't have experience in your conditions so I can't speak to that

Just found out the mate who’s getting the 9400 very soon for me to go view has recently changed his screen to a grey one so I’ll be able to see how it looks and his is a light controlled room too.

Hi all,

First, I've been following the threads re Epson 7300/7400 and 9300/9400 and found all the contributions very helpful.

We have just downsized and in the process we/l had to loose my dedicated hifi/AV room. So I said goodbye to the Barco 808 graphics CRT that had given excellent trouble free service for 15 years and was still going strong at 1080i.

We moved and I just suggested we might consider something smaller that wouldn't be too big to dominate our new living room. Well to my great surprise, I got a yes! But with one condition, the new projector had to be white.

So after looking and reading I'm going to get an Epson TW.... The issue I would like your help in deciding is which model. The 7400 or the 9400W (must be white).

We have white walls, ceiling and a light grey floor so a very long way from black.

The projector will sit above our heads and we mostly watch Blu-ray in the evening and Eurosport during the day.

Which should I go for?

Thanks

7400 is quite a bit louder, especially factoring in position above your heads. Upgrade wise the 7400 doesn't offer a compelling upgrade over the 7300 as far as I can tell. If they're similar price wise then perhaps get the newer version, otherwise maybe a 7300 would suit you best?

The 7400 also doesn't do 'full' 4K, worth noting also that the wireless 7400/9400 have limited wireless capability at 4K due to bandwidth issues, same capability in wireless as the previous models. 9400 HDMI is full 18.2GB/s this time round on the plugged in HDMI.

Just found out the mate who’s getting the 9400 very soon for me to go view has recently changed his screen to a grey one so I’ll be able to see how it looks and his is a light controlled room too.
Keep u posted! Probably better with white but always worth seeing as many types as possible!

I’m looking to upgrade my 9200/Draper react combo later in the year with a 9400 and a larger screen. It’s going into a light controlled room and i’m not sure if I should just go for a white screen or another react. I’ve been impressed with the react but just wondering if it’s worth the premium in a bat cave.

news update

after speaking with Chris this morning i'm thinking delivery will be next week now if i'm honest, their are 3 deliveries in the pipeline over the next 3 weeks so stock is definitely on the way i'm told.

Warranty

the warranty which i'm including from Epson is 5 years on the actual projector and 3 years on the lamp or 5000 hours, i asked if it was unlimited lamp warranty and Chris is asking the question. i'm thinking but hope i'm wrong, that it will be 3 years on a single lamp

Allan

Out of interest on the Epson UK website if you go to the 9400, Tech Spec, Other, it states the Warranty is 2 Years and Lamp 36 months or 3000h.

Hi all,

First, I've been following the threads re Epson 7300/7400 and 9300/9400 and found all the contributions very helpful.

We have just downsized and in the process we/l had to loose my dedicated hifi/AV room. So I said goodbye to the Barco 808 graphics CRT that had given excellent trouble free service for 15 years and was still going strong at 1080i.

We moved and I just suggested we might consider something smaller that wouldn't be too big to dominate our new living room. Well to my great surprise, I got a yes! But with one condition, the new projector had to be white.

So after looking and reading I'm going to get an Epson TW.... The issue I would like your help in deciding is which model. The 7400 or the 9400W (must be white).

We have white walls, ceiling and a light grey floor so a very long way from black.

The projector will sit above our heads and we mostly watch Blu-ray in the evening and Eurosport during the day.

Which should I go for?

Thanks
Coming from a CRT projector, especially a 15 year old one, you will likely be very impressed with the brightness of the Epsons. The image on my Tw7300 is very watchable with the lights on particularly on bright content such as sports. I currently have light colour walls( though soon going to darker)

Hi all,

Which should I go for?

Thanks
I have had the 7300 and 7400 together and they really are the same more or less, main issue I could not use the 7400 in high lamp mode above my head as went off like a jet engine and got worse longer you had it on, ended up going with the 7300 at £450 cheaper, I find if you have 4k devices going into it they do a better job of upscaling to 4k than the 4k enhancement the pj does. Mine is used night and day and does a great job in both conditions, never had a 9300 so I can't say if there is 1600quidish of extra contrast etc there over the 7300.

Hi all,

Which should I go for?

Thanks

Hi all,

Which should I go for?

Thanks
As alltaken has already said, if you can save a few £ go for the 7300 rather than the 7400 as it isn't really an upgrade and supposedly noisier to boot.

The main advantage to the 9400 in your situation is the 18Gb/s HDMI chipset. The 9400 will accept 4KHDR@60hz whereas the 7400 is limited to 4KHDR@24p. There won't be a difference with 4K Blu-ray's but the 7x00 limits your options when it comes to streaming and gaming in HDR.

Most of the additional contrast that the 9400 provides will be wasted in a light coloured room but it will still have a higher on/off contrast ratio than the 7x00 in the same conditions.

Out of interest on the Epson UK website if you go to the 9400, Tech Spec, Other, it states the Warranty is 2 Years and Lamp 36 months or 3000h.

very true it does but i’m discussing the “extra extended ” warranty that is on offer at an extra cost, (not to you guys). if you read back through the thread i’ve mentioned it several times and trying to finalise exactly what’s included and the one thing left to finalise is the lamp warranty, it’s going to be 3 years but not sure if on a single lamp or unlimited.

As soon as i know i’ll let you guys n gals know on here

Allan :smashin:

Just bought an 7400 less then 10 hours used from someone that wasn't happy and decided to switch to a JVC, he does't remember the exact date of purchase. Now the thing is I've tried to register on Epson by serial number, do I have any chance to get the warranty? is it valid across all EU?

Alltaken, chinstroke, digger99, 494930,

Thanks for all your inputs and my next steps/ purchase will be:

First, a 7300 if I can find one,
Or a 9300W if at a good value price and if none of the above a 9400W when they become available.

Thanks for your help...

OK guys. Anyone for help to set up hd linker for ehtw7400 ? Goal is to have 4k/hdr working with games / xbox. I do not care, if it is in 24fps or reduced HDR to 8bit...... UHD movies with HDR/4k/24Hz is working out of the box. For gaming it is 4k/SDR out of the box. Any help, how to set linker to downscale to 4k/hdr/24Hz ? So PJ can work with it as its 10Gbps... In general I am satisfy and If I did not bought already linker, I will not bother to buy it, it is that good already and HDR is not that much different to bother.

OK guys. Anyone for help to set up hd linker for ehtw7400 ? Goal is to have 4k/hdr working with games / xbox. I do not care, if it is in 24fps or reduced HDR to 8bit...... UHD movies with HDR/4k/24Hz is working out of the box. For gaming it is 4k/SDR out of the box. Any help, how to set linker to downscale to 4k/hdr/24Hz ? So PJ can work with it as its 10Gbps... In general I am satisfy and If I did not bought already linker, I will not bother to buy it, it is that good already and HDR is not that much different to bother.
You don’t want to game at 24Hz it would give a terrible experience. To game at 60fps with HDR you’ll need to run 4:2:0 8-bit rather than RGB.

difference between FHD and 4K is really visible /100" elite screen and 3.5m view distance/ and that was the reason for upgrade. Its nearly impossible, what Epson can do from 1080p picture /eshift/ to show "fake" 4k

You don’t want to game at 24Hz it would give a terrible experience. To game at 60fps with HDR you’ll need to run 4:2:0 8-bit rather than RGB.
also this solution will be fine.... 4k/hdr 8bit 4:2:0 I did not manage to let it work, yet.

also this solution will be fine.... 4k/hdr 8bit 4:2:0 I did not manage to let it work, yet.
Not sure how it works on consoles or with the Linker but I know it works when I set my PC up like this to play Forza and a few others with HDR.

If I drop to 30fps then 4:2:2 10/12bit that also works for 4K HDR as it's below 10.2Gb/s.

Hello,
I’ve attached my settings for my linker which I use on my 9300.

Hopefully they will help:smashin:

Attachments

• 57D832E1-6DCA-4A1A-8FA3-704FE4342BEA.png
    57D832E1-6DCA-4A1A-8FA3-704FE4342BEA.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 121
  • 2D9A20E1-AA44-4E0C-B4DB-CF440338651B.png
    2D9A20E1-AA44-4E0C-B4DB-CF440338651B.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 108
Hello,

thank you so much. It looks like I tried everything, but HDR is working only with 1080p with 7400 :( ... let me try your settings as last option.

Hello,

You. Are. My. Hero. :) thank you, it is working now. See pcs. Because of your pcs, I managed to discover, I had old firmware on linker and after updating, new options pop up in upscaler menu showed up for color options. Is it possible with another settings achieve somehting like 8-12bit HDR, with 4K, but with 30Hz or even lower, or ot will not work as Xbox will think HDR 10 for gaming is not supported, because It needs 60Hz to check green line and put it on. thank you very much one more time, SUPER.
RZ2jUbLqcJ.jpg

One last mark regarding this PJ, when I switch to 4k, 60Hz... PJ starts produce another sound, which is a little different than fan noise from ECO power mode. It is similar decibel, perhaps 2-3dB louder, nothing critical, but it is there and is little annoying. When I switch PJ to 4K, HDR, 24Hz... that sound is gone. It looks like it has something with 60Hz only.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom