Epson TW9400/7400 information

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a look on AVS Forum this morning and it looks like some info is starting to come in on Epson’s new projectors:

Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub owners thread - Page 515 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

EPSON EH-TW9400 et EH-TW9400W : novembre 2018 – – Le Blog de PHC –

The 9400 sounds like it ticks all the boxes with 2600lm, 18Gbps HDMI / 4K HDR with 60hz, HLG, frame interpolation in 4K (NB: update 01/19 - FI only for HD, not 4K) and still 3D. Same kind of prices as the 9300/7300 by the looks of it.

Last edited:
Hmmm still 4k simulation versus the new JVC's giving true 4k? That will be interesting to compare.

With JVCs eshift range seeming to be discontinued and with no apparent replacement (that we know of at least), that seems to leave Epson to fill that price gap. JVC are crazy to not have at least one eshift model out there to pick up sales at around the £4k mark which they would continue to do.

It's a pity Epson haven't increased the contrast capability of the new models or used R-LCD in this range too. No sign of an LS replacement either which is a shame - the current 10500 had a bit of a price drop recently which gives the impression of a replacement, but maybe they're waiting for CEDIA to reveal that. Fingers crossed for contrast and lumen improvements, and a 4K model as well, though I wouldn't be surprised if that will be next near now.

I love my LS10000, it’s superb. Just misses out on the HDR but WCG is attainable with a bit of effort. But the 9400 sounds superb. I’m honestly shocked by the pricing on JVC’s new entry level - I appreciate the tech is expensive but 6K plus!

Maybe JVC doesn't sell as many or make so much on the cheaper models and sold more mid to high, so were happy to go with 4K and higher prices. The N5 is only marginally higher than the mid level eshift so still within the price range of their larger market.

All purely guesswork, but at those prices Epson should see a larger uptake of their TW and LS models I would think.

Well if my 9000 ever decides to give up the ghost it looks like it will be replaced by another Epson that's for sure. I'm all for paying a little premium to get a little extra but not double for a true 4K model especially as there seems to be very little difference compared to faux 4k. Epson do seem to have the cheaper end of the spectrum all to themselves other than the DLP's , which I am sure they are loving. All we need now is a true 4K next year for under £5k or even under £4k and we'll be laughing.

think pricing will be much like the outgoing range and availability late in this calendar year maybe November / December

you really cant compare the JVC N5 with the Epson 9400 and complain that one is native 4k and the other is not as one is more than twice the price of the other

as someone who has owned a 9300W for 2 years and watched 1800 faultless hours on it I really would suggest that anyone buying in this price range really should audition the Epson range as I still find the image quality produced to be outstanding for the overall picture quality and convenience of fully powered zoom focus and shift with lens memory that no one else is giving you at this price point

For me not implented 18GHz HDMI speed to TW7400 is big step back. What i saw on IFA 9400 looks more some like 9300 except on some tools on HDR menu and 18Ghz HDMI speed. Buts its was for me very difficult to evaluate the picture after the show with JVC and his new projector.

On EPSON they show us movie Jumanji (where i miss some contast), TombRaider and Black Panther where back was very good.

Epson will must meet in a duel with JVC and his not native 4K generation x5900/x7900 where in sale he can lose members...

In EU price for TW7400/9400 its to much high.

Anyone know about UK Pricing and availability yet?

nothing confirmed as yet but i'm lead to believe pricing will be at what the official launch price was in 2016, 9400 @ £2999, 9400W @ £3299.

December has been mentioned to me, but also as above nothing has been confirmed

These will wipe the floor with the £3k competitors imho

Allan

For me not implented 18GHz HDMI speed to TW7400 is big step back. What i saw on IFA 9400 looks more some like 9300 except on some tools on HDR menu and 18Ghz HDMI speed. Buts its was for me very difficult to evaluate the picture after the show with JVC and his new projector.

On EPSON they show us movie Jumanji (where i miss some contast), TombRaider and Black Panther where back was very good.

Epson will must meet in a duel with JVC and his not native 4K generation x5900/x7900 where in sale he can lose members...

In EU price for TW7400/9400 its to much high.

i'm not sure where you get your thoughts from but Epson and JVC are not competing at all any more atm. Epson entry level home cinema projector is £2999 whereas JVC's is £6499 so you simply cannot say that is a fair comparison.

Also the lack of 7400 not having 18gbs HDMI speed is not a backward step, the 7300 has never had it in the first place :D

i'm not sure where you get your thoughts from but Epson and JVC are not competing at all any more atm. Epson entry level home cinema projector is £2999 whereas JVC's is £6499 so you simply cannot say that is a fair comparison.

Also the lack of 7400 not having 18gbs HDMI speed is not a backward step, the 7300 has never had it in the first place :D

Yes thats you are right, but for me 7400 loses some points compare to 7300...
And i think thats Epson TW9400 can be competing to JVC x5900 or x7900 if the price will be reduced like was announced in US...

nothing confirmed as yet but i'm lead to believe pricing will be at what the official launch price was in 2016, 9400 @ £2999, 9400W @ £3299.

December has been mentioned to me, but also as above nothing has been confirmed

These will wipe the floor with the £3k competitors imho

Allan

Allan,

Will you be having some sort of launch event with special avforum members discount for the 9400 ;-)

Allan,

Will you be having some sort of launch event with special avforum members discount for the 9400 ;-)

yes i probably will :thumbsup:

How many times did you tell us that the JVC's entry level was now the 7900? :D

That won't be £6499 will it?

How many times did you tell us that the JVC's entry level was now the 7900? :D

That won't be £6499 will it?

no and it won't be £2999 either ;)

i'm pretty certain riddleace is referring to the new jvc models which are coming

i still don't see Epson being worried or JVC for that matter, both manufacturers are offering pj's at different price points and both for me are the best at their respective price points.

Tell me something which will compete and i'd certainly like to see it here and give it a good looking at............

How come Epson US give you a ceiling mount and a spare lamp with their pro projectors?Do Epson Europe do anything similar or have we got the shit end of the stick as normal.

the USA do a version they sell through professional installers and a version of the same model they sell through normal retail channels

the 4050 will I suspect be the equivalent of what we will be sold as the 7400 - I imagine that they will have a 5050 that will be what we see as the 9400

the 4050 is the pro install version that normally comes with mount spare lamp and cable cover with a 1 year longer warranty but at a higher price than the projector only model.

in what we were sold as the 9300 in the USA they sold the projector only as 5040UB and the install model as 6040UB - same projector and I seem to recall $1000 more for the 6040 which included the extra stuff.

so no we are not being had over yet again this time - just the way Epson sell in the USA

the USA do a version they sell through professional installers and a version of the same model they sell through normal retail channels

the 4050 will I suspect be the equivalent of what we will be sold as the 7400 - I imagine that they will have a 5050 that will be what we see as the 9400

the 4050 is the pro install version that normally comes with mount spare lamp and cable cover with a 1 year longer warranty but at a higher price than the projector only model.

in what we were sold as the 9300 in the USA they sold the projector only as 5040UB and the install model as 6040UB - same projector and I seem to recall $1000 more for the 6040 which included the extra stuff.

so no we are not being had over yet again this time - just the way Epson sell in the USA

and don’t forget if purchasing the 93/400 you get free lamps for 5 years and a free mount if you choose your dealer carefully ;) :D

Last edited:
I knew it was worth me waiting. For my needs and budget the 9400 would seemingly fit very well indeed :)

I knew it was worth me waiting. For my needs and budget the 9400 would seemingly fit very well indeed :)
I would definitely save a little bit harder and stump up for a JVC X7900, that is a very, very good projector.

I would definitely save a little bit harder and stump up for a JVC X7900, that is a very, very good projector.

I do appreciate that and I have considered it but it is quite a price hike.

I do appreciate that and I have considered it but it is quite a price hike.
Really depends on what the new price come so in at and then dealer discounts on top.
Depending on the zoom and aperture setting the JVC will have something in the range of 10 times the on off contrast ratio of the Epson.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom