Epson TW9400/7400 information

I have that method saved to try out when I have a go. No shield though so will have to try and do it manually through files I have saved on my NAS to use for Greyscale/CMS.

1800 Calibrated lumens is still pretty amazing and reasonably accurate too by the sounds of it. Can't imagine you've got anywhere near that in your HDR accurate mode.

Sent my meter off to Ricky to get an up to date meter correction file so will be interesting to have a go when it's back.

Is a VERY interesting read on contrast. The projectors are all a bit old now, but the basic principles hold true.

The amount of HIGH end PJs we see in totally unsuitable rooms, where people are chasing performance and paying big bucks to do it, is shocking. There's a fair similarity in terms of audio and room correction too. A better projector performs better, sure, but the room is always the limiting factor

As for screen size, the black level is more dependent on the projector, assuming you don't massively change the fabric. If you want to increase black level, you can go for a Grey screen, though you do sacrifice some white level. You effectively shift the contrast down the scale.
Thats probably why Luminated's performnace is so good.

He has a perfectly treated room and his grey screen has likely shifted his black level down from the Epson's grey to near JVC true black.

In return, he lacks the white end of the spectrum but in my experience, black is WAY more important for perceived contrast and depth to the human eye. A bright bright white is not nearly as impactful for contrast and definitely a worthwhile trade off.

This is basically what I'm hoping I'll gain when I MVEL22 my side walls and 1M for the ceiling.

Is a VERY interesting read on contrast. The projectors are all a bit old now, but the basic principles hold true.

The amount of HIGH end PJs we see in totally unsuitable rooms, where people are chasing performance and paying big bucks to do it, is shocking. There's a fair similarity in terms of audio and room correction too. A better projector performs better, sure, but the room is always the limiting factor

As for screen size, the black level is more dependent on the projector, assuming you don't massively change the fabric. If you want to increase black level, you can go for a Grey screen, though you do sacrifice some white level. You effectively shift the contrast down the scale.

Yeah. I've seen ont he JVC a few people with N7s in untreated rooms. They paint the walls grey, talk about a grey rug they bought and then talk about how amazing the contrast from their N7 is.

In reality, they're probably playing with a marginal PQ difference from a Sony PJ or even an Epson because they're not giving the right circumstances for the PJs' contrast to come to light.

but each to their own. I was in a smaller room last year which I couldn't black out or make dedicated so we all just need to extract the best possible performance we can from what we have or can buy.

What was 9300 vs N5 brightness like mate? did u ever use both them with iris fully open?
calibrated the N5 is brighter. i use the iris fully open and low lamp for sdr and high lamp for hdr

Yeah. I've seen ont he JVC a few people with N7s in untreated rooms. They paint the walls grey, talk about a grey rug they bought and then talk about how amazing the contrast from their N7 is.

In reality, they're probably playing with a marginal PQ difference from a Sony PJ or even an Epson because they're not giving the right circumstances for the PJs' contrast to come to light.

but each to their own. I was in a smaller room last year which I couldn't black out or make dedicated so we all just need to extract the best possible performance we can from what we have or can buy.
think that is a fair point - my room is my lounge as well so full batcave out of the window - i do have darkish walls and a dark grey ceiling with dark furnishings but there is still clearly reflected light in the room

i briefly considered a trade for my N5 to an N7 but both my calibrator and the retailer said dont do it as in your room you will not see the benefit of the extra spend.

i do think my black level in the image is quite good tho lol

Oh i totally get room limitations and Wife Acceptance Factor and dual use living rooms and so forth and at times we work with what we've got and what we can do. There are SOOO many compromises to choose from in the Home Cinema Game!

Personally my room limitations were pretty self imposed and in some respects did me a favour! I WASN'T going down painting the walls black or even a neutral fading grey, because I wanted my room to be pretty easy to convert back into a living space should I move at some point - As such some nice black velvet fabric and some staples was WAY easier and wouldn't take long to remove, bit of poly filler. Sorted!

My floating screen on steel wires was so i didn't need to build a frame into the fabric of the room. It also means acoustic interference from the structure is ultra minimal

I probably blew the design brief with the raised floating platform/BOSS structure and maybe painting the door matt black, but i could cut up and gloss paint is pretty forgiving on coverage.

Wished i'd got a decent dark carpet, but the big black rugs cover in front of the viewing area.

My main gripe is so called pro rooms and the REALLY high end, that make me shake my head!

i do use a react ALR screen as well and that definitely helps in a less than perfect room

calibrated the N5 is brighter. i use the iris fully open and low lamp for sdr and high lamp for hdr

That's a VERY sweeping statement and I'd guess there's various room factors and screen size involved.

I'm on a 120" 1.0 acoustic screen 16:9 and a very accurate SDR calibration yields -4 on the TW9400 iris. Though my room is also a velvet coated batcave!

HDR is a bit of a bugger to calibrate and compare and the Epson has quite a few options.

The N5 appears a good projector, but well, we've been round that circuit a few times, with quite a few people and it's probably best avoided.

@djpaulc247: I have the bracket you mentioned, and it took some hours to setup correctly. There's tweaking with a torch to level it, but it's a solid mount.

@All: When using simplehomecinema guide for the Dynamic HDR settings, do you use all his settings, Custom color temp, Grayscale, Gamma: custom, RGBCMY etc?

I'm going to do the firmware upgrade, but in regards to panel alignment disabled. I have adjusted my screen with lens shift. Will that be resat if I disable this?

i am saying that from personal experience by my eye in my room of both projectors calibrated by the same guy - on that basis my view is as stated but admittedly not at all scientific but to be honest i would rather go by what i see than a calman chart

I have the walls painted grey and for some time I tought that this is it.

Untill I started adding black velvet curtains on the sides of the screen and black velvet on the ceilling thus creating a box 2m long around the screen.

I can tell you that even for Epson it's a huge difference. :)

When using simplehomecinema guide for the Dynamic HDR settings, do you use all his settings, Custom color temp, Grayscale, Gamma: custom, RGBCMY etc?

Yes, otherwise it's pointless, unless you have calibration tools and you are using his setting just to have a starting point.

Color temp must be on 7, otherwise the green will be back invading whites.

Yes, otherwise it's pointless, unless you have calibration tools and you are using his setting just to have a starting point.

Color temp must be on 7, otherwise the green will be back invading whites.
Thanks looking forward to try it out since I've been disappointed by HDR and I have a Vertex 2.
What about panel alignment and lens shift.

Hey Folks,

So I got around to do some calibrating today and didn't think I would get very far tonight but turns out in my case that very little adjustments were needed to get from my eyes a much more deeper richer colour. The gamma looks good and the white balance is more in line with my calibrated C9 Oled. It's for SDR, I not going to even dare try HDR out for the moment.
Calibration was done with a Elitescreen 3D, Software- ColorSpace HTL - IDispay OEM, Pgen w/ Teds patterns.

Any thing I miss out is because I left it at stock, so I won't bother putting them in. Just reset and fill in.

Mode: Natural
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 51
SkinTone: 6
Custom
Offest R: 45
Offset G: 50
Offset B: 48
Gain R: 55
Gain G: 53
Gain B 55
Greyscale: No Adjustments
RGBCMY: No Adjustments
Gamma: -2
Lens Iris: -16
Calibration done with Auto Iris Off, then turned on High

This is my first attempt at projector calibration so I may have some more tweaking to do, but using some test images I have and comparing them to other settings I was using I am finding these settings look real close to my Tv which I am using a reference. Also since there is some many variables involved in projection like for example the screen gain. It can really mess with the white point.

But since the settings are pretty simple to put in, it's worth trying out. I would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks

Jim

Attachments

• Screenshot (115).png
    Screenshot (115).png
    257.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I'm going to do the firmware upgrade, but in regards to panel alignment disabled. I have adjusted my screen with lens shift. Will that be resat if I disable this?

Panel alignment is a specific setting within the menus. It has no effect on the lens shift or any other direct settings, apart from the panel alignment bit. A lot of people don't tend to go through setting it unless there are some extreme alignment issues

1800 Calibrated lumens is still pretty amazing and reasonably accurate too by the sounds of it. Can't imagine you've got anywhere near that in your HDR accurate mode.

Sent my meter off to Ricky to get an up to date meter correction file so will be interesting to have a go when it's back.

A quick look at old calibration runs, puts my bright setting at 28 and HDR accurate about 11, so 33 Yftl is a significant jump in light output - I'd have to actually check them to be sure the comparisons are valid, but that'll be next week as we're about to go away, but i wanted to have a quick look at old runs!

I've an i1 display 3 colorimeter iirc and then also an old i1 pro spectro, which has it's own calibration tile. I've calibrated one against the other and built a cross calibration thing, which should mean the colourimeter is accurate, but it is much better and faster at reading low light stuff

The simple answer is YES if above 6 Meters unless you are EXTREMELY LUCKY which I don't know of too many who have been. When you go longer you NEED an optical HDMI I don't know how many times we have to stress this.

An optical HDMI will state 'Source' on one end and 'Display' on the other that's how you know you have the right type of lead.
38-9341_01.jpg

Sorry if I come across abrupt with my post its not intentional but this question comes up so often and when I mean often I really mean it's been discussed at least a billion times. The one used by quite a few of us including myself is the ATZEBE but if you want to save a little there's this one which is a bargain for an Optical HDMI.
Thanks. Ordered the ATZEBE

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Well taking a break from the speculation threads. Watched John Wick 2 last night (again).

The combination of about 2.5m of Mvel22 on wall and ceiling and calibrated (by me) SDR image on a grey screen looked fabulous.

Wish I had a decent camera as would have taken a pick.

Really do think the image I am getting now with this PJ is far ahead of what we get at the cinema, the sound already was, so feeling very happy about AV right now.

Well taking a break from the speculation threads. Watched John Wick 2 last night (again).

The combination of about 2.5m of Mvel22 on wall and ceiling and calibrated (by me) SDR image on a grey screen looked fabulous.

Really do think the image I am getting now with this PJ is far ahead of what we get at the cinema, the sound already was so feeling very happy about AV right now.

You have a killer setup mate. HTP1 must be awesome too.

Grey screens IMO are ideal/neccesary for Epsons. Help lower the black floor substantially which IMO increased perceived contrast by a lot.

I can't wait til I get my curtain track in and can do some MVEL22 treatment.

Really do think the image I am getting now with this PJ is far ahead of what we get at the cinema, the sound already was, so feeling very happy about AV right now.
Treating the room I feel is the single most effective thing anyone can do to improve their home cinema and yet it’s also amazing how many dedicated rooms with super exotic gear that aren’t.

Treating the room I feel is the single most effective thing anyone can do to improve their home cinema and yet it’s also amazing how many dedicated rooms with super exotic gear that aren’t.

Yep agreed, I was curious so I watched John Wick 1 with my normal set up Friday night without any treatment, ie reasonably dark walls and white ceiling. To be honest I just couldn't be bothered to put it all up as I use hook and eyelets on the fabric, the ceiling in particular is a faff. But we will call it a test haha.

John Wick 2 last night with the Mvel22 put up. It's just soooo much better. Not even just the image quality which is of course better. Just having it mostly dark is another level of experience. I shall probably get another piece to go under the screen and on the centre/rack/floor in front. Becomes a bit of an obsession this ................

Yep agreed, I was curious so I watched John Wick 1 with my normal set up Friday night without any treatment, ie reasonably dark walls and white ceiling. To be honest I just couldn't be bothered to put it all up as I use hook and eyelets on the fabric, the ceiling in particular is a faff. But we will call it a test haha.

John Wick 2 last night with the Mvel22 put up. It's just soooo much better. Not even just the image quality which is of course better. Just having it mostly dark is another level of experience. I shall probably get another piece to go under the screen and on the centre/rack/floor in front. Becomes a bit of an obsession this ................
You do become obsessive about it, as @Alaric said even light coming in from under the door becomes a distraction. LOL

Can you post photos of how you put it up? I'm needing ideas for my RT.

Can you post photos of how you put it up? I'm needing ideas for my RT.

No probs, if anyone comes up with a better solution that would be good......................

Hope this is remotely useful. Basically have hooks in the ceiling and on the side walls. Just showed the ceiling piece otherwise you wouldn’t be able to see anything as it’s too dark lol.

I put eyelets/hooks in where it was reaching the limit of needing too much tension or it would sag too much. I added a little bit of hot glue around the eyelet too. Not sure if does anything but could see the eyelet pulling itself out of the fabric over time.

Anyway two rows of hooks in the ceiling. Painted them white so they are not too visible when not in use…….. The side pieces also have blackout lining to cover a doorway and the bay window you can see.

Attachments

• 71732EBE-154E-4763-A2CC-FDBC359C08A3.jpeg
    71732EBE-154E-4763-A2CC-FDBC359C08A3.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 40E51A87-831F-49B9-A187-475FC3BA6B23.jpeg
    40E51A87-831F-49B9-A187-475FC3BA6B23.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 7931536D-9676-4BFC-8774-11A10C477B1D.jpeg
    7931536D-9676-4BFC-8774-11A10C477B1D.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 2EEB05B3-DE16-4F58-9B62-012394E9F567.jpeg
    2EEB05B3-DE16-4F58-9B62-012394E9F567.jpeg