Quantcast

Epson TW9400/7400 information

Luminated67

Sorry, reading your suggestions again on digital mode, you mention iris values a couple of times ... 0 and also -3 , which one do you suggest? Cheers Paul
In my setup my iris on Digital is 0 but my screen gain is 1.1gain which is why I suggested trying -3 for yourself.

Just curious but is the sparkle in the same place on the screen, I wonder is there a residue of something on the screen itself?

Paulyc1864

In my setup my iris on Digital is 0 but my screen gain is 1.1gain which is why I suggested trying -3 for yourself.

Just curious but is the sparkle in the same place on the screen, I wonder is there a residue of something on the screen itself?
II wish I still had the old Epson for comparison now. The sparkles are fairly uniform across the screen rather than in any one place. I'll post a photo of it, if the settings don't solve it , although they may be difficult to distinguish from a still.

Luminated67

II wish I still had the old Epson for comparison now. The sparkles are fairly uniform across the screen rather than in any one place. I'll post a photo of it, if the settings don't solve it , although they may be difficult to distinguish from a still.
This is very odd, 1.3gain is a common enough screen and used by Stewart Screens which I know some US members have with their Epson 5050/6050 with no problems. Is it an ALR screen by any chance?

Paulyc1864

d598

Hey guys!

New owner of a TW9400 and we are totally blown away by it! Previously had a JVC x3 which was my first projector, but this is another level.

However, watching a film this morning I noticed that the remote actions were very intermittent or not working at all. Changed the batteries and it was the same and even stood a few inches from the unit and still intermittent. At one point it was good and fluid, and then it would freeze. Has anyone else experienced this? I have about 90 hours on it and only saved a few settings, so wondering if I could do a factory reset.

I have the Epson 5 year guarantee so will give them a call after trying a few other things.

I have changed the screen in the last few days, but it was working perfectly yesterday.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Luminated67

No, doesnt appear so, here's a link to the one I bought grandview-edge-169-fixed-frame-screen
Hopefully someone with one of these or experience of these screen can butt in, personally I'm at a loss as to why this is. I can't believe it's the increased lumen output of the projector because closing the Iris should be dropping the ft-L on the screen.

Paulyc1864

Hopefully someone with one of these or experience of these screen can butt in, personally I'm at a loss as to why this is. I can't believe it's the increased lumen output of the projector because closing the Iris should be dropping the ft-L on the screen.
Thanks.Been told to do some pruning first, then can have a play :mad:

Paulyc1864

Or maybe it’s just the transfer on the US 4K version of the Fifth Element disc .

Found this review of the disc which mentions grain and sparkles! The Fifth Element 4K Blu-ray | Reference Home Theater

Just watched ready player one, with new settings as advised by @Luminated67, incredible detail and no sparklies whatsoever! :thumbsup:

Luminated67

nikwake

Standard Member
These settings should hopefully tide you over until you get her calibrated.:smashin:
Hi, new proud owner of a 9400. I have a bat cave (black velvet on all surfaces except the screen, no lights in the room. Stewart 130 screen with 1.3 gain.
I have watched a few things and am really happy with the picture.
Currently gamma on -2 and a few colour changes I have seen recommended.
I’d be grateful for other setting recommendations. It seems bright enough with digital cinema so I may keep it on this setting most of the time for the colour benefit, but would also use natural and 3d.
I read through the beginning of the thread but haven’t found the calibration settings people use yet. Can anyone post the link?
I have 3D glasses from previous 9100 but haven’t tried yet to see if they are compatible.
Many thanks in advance.

Luminated67

Hi, new proud owner of a 9400. I have a bat cave (black velvet on all surfaces except the screen, no lights in the room. Stewart 130 screen with 1.3 gain.
I have watched a few things and am really happy with the picture.
Currently gamma on -2 and a few colour changes I have seen recommended.
I’d be grateful for other setting recommendations. It seems bright enough with digital cinema so I may keep it on this setting most of the time for the colour benefit, but would also use natural and 3d.
I read through the beginning of the thread but haven’t found the calibration settings people use yet. Can anyone post the link?
I have 3D glasses from previous 9100 but haven’t tried yet to see if they are compatible.
Many thanks in advance.

This review also lists their complete calibration settings, for the laugh I put them into one of my presets so I could compare with my own. In my case the image of too red but that could have just been my projector.

Try them yourself to see if they help but ultimately you should get a professional calibration done, the projector is worth it.

nikwake

Standard Member
Impressive....I've mentioned my FAQ with a whole load of info many, many times and it's also in my signature. Mine and a few others are linked in there!
thanks. I saw yours and the ones from the PJ central review. What about 3D? Just watching Tron 3D, looks awesome on 3D dynamic preset.
Do you guys use the iprojection app? Quite convenient as my PJ is in a separate booth area.

Alaric

thanks. I saw yours and the ones from the PJ central review. What about 3D? Just watching Tron 3D, looks awesome on 3D dynamic preset.
3D is somewhat complicated for calibration purposes. You really need to calibrate for the glasses in the chain and each of the ones that work, will have a different colour slant so you really need to use all the same brand and then factor those in - I did a comparison with the brands I have and each have their flaws so i never hit an easy recomendation

You can copy across your SDR settings which may be better than the built in ones

I like the Disney / Pixar 3D discs as most have the Maximizer set-up feature and that's great for setting brightness/contrast and 3D levels to reduce cross talk. Which is pretty good for a getting you in a very watchable ball park. It has masses of light which is great for making a 3D pop.

Shinji Mikami

Standard Member
Hi : ) I own a TW9400 for one year and very happy with it. I had a 75% dedicated room and my video source is HTPC RTX 2060 + madVR (HDR to SDR).

Like I said I'm happy with my Epson but I'd like to get more dark scenes detail. I know it's complicated specially for users like me without advanced calibration knowledge and tools. So helped with calibration patterns that I'm finding online and reading and testing advanced users settings I enjoyed my TW9400 for almost 400 hours.

I used a Natural Mode and 16-235 range in all chain from beginning to end (I only use Epson+HTPC for Full Ultra Blu-Ray movies, nothing else) but last week I started over and changed to Digital Cinema Mode and 0-255 from beginning to end and recalibrated everything again looking for more dark scenes detail.

I think I got an impressive picture quality in my setup but I would need expert advice and guidance to make sure that I'm in the right direction and I'm not doing wrong things.

Thank you !!!

mRenovatio

Standard Member
@Shinji Mikami

I have no doubt your set up looks amazing...

How dark is your room? For dark detail getting your room to 90-100% dedicated would probably have a bigger impact than extra gear and finer settings with a 75% room...

Pure speculation... And based on the results I've seen in my room as I've gotten it closer to a dedicated set up (the side walls and rear wall are the only non-dark surface)... Making the area around the screen dark had a huge impact...

If it's a multi-use room, there will always be compromise... But I think you're probably close enough to perfection given the effort you've put in... Enjoy :thumbsup:

Shinji Mikami

Standard Member
@Shinji Mikami

I have no doubt your set up looks amazing...

How dark is your room? For dark detail getting your room to 90-100% dedicated would probably have a bigger impact than extra gear and finer settings with a 75% room...

Pure speculation... And based on the results I've seen in my room as I've gotten it closer to a dedicated set up (the side walls and rear wall are the only non-dark surface)... Making the area around the screen dark had a huge impact...

If it's a multi-use room, there will always be compromise... But I think you're probably close enough to perfection given the effort you've put in... Enjoy :thumbsup:
@mRenovatio

Thank you for your detailed answer. Certanly I'm not sure how dedicated percentage my room is. I said 75% but is less compared truly dedicated rooms. Could be 50% so I'm far from reaching black detail levels you said. Yes, it's multi-use and I do what I can and wife let me do : )

(Front scene sideview)
IMG-20191227-091428.jpg

Gray carpet floor is no light reflection (2,5 meters to end) and ceiling also no reflection, but only 1,20 meters dark gray acoustic foam to end. Left wall is close screen, painted in dark gray color, like rear wall sorrounding screen, but I think that this kind of paint reflects light to the screen. Right wall is located to almost 2 meters from screen projection painted in light gray (near white). Ceiling is pure white. So what is your advice to improve my semi-dedicated room?

Graham

@mRenovatio

Thank you for your detailed answer. Certanly I'm not sure how dedicated percentage my room is. I said 75% but is less compared truly dedicated rooms. Could be 50% so I'm far from reaching black detail levels you said. Yes, it's multi-use and I do what I can and wife let me do : )
Gray carpet floor is no light reflection (2,5 meters to end) and ceiling also no reflection, but only 1,20 meters dark gray acoustic foam to end. Left wall is close screen, painted in dark gray color, like rear wall sorrounding screen, but I think that this kind of paint reflects light to the screen. Right wall is located to almost 2 meters from screen projection painted in light gray (near white). Ceiling is pure white. So what is your advice to improve my semi-dedicated room?

Hi

One of the biggest changes I had in my room was getting a black rug to replace the grey carpet in front of the screen. That made an enormous difference to contrast and only cost £100 or so. Also, I see that you’ve got signs right next to the screen which, while nice, will be obvious when you're projecting a bright image onto the screen. Finally, those speakers you’ve got close to the screen presumably reflect some light whenever you’re projecting anything bright.

So really there are quite a few things you could do to improve it, such as putting black felt etc on top of the speakers / painting the side walls black or putting felt on them, but if you’ve also got a white ceiling then you will either need to paint that a darker colour or put felt on that also.

Basically you can end up doing endless improvements trying to chase perfection which is nigh on impossible, or you can just try a few cheaper things first, such as a rug and perhaps painting the ceiling dark, and see how you get on with that. If such things aren’t possible then it’s worth considering a React screen, but they’re not cheap.

Cheers

Luminated67

@mRenovatio

(Front scene sideview)
View attachment 1304826

Just a thought but probably you would be better looking at a high contrast screen rather than adapting your lovely room.

Shinji Mikami

Standard Member
If such things aren’t possible then it’s worth considering a React screen, but they’re not cheap.
Just a thought but probably you would be better looking at a high contrast screen rather than adapting your lovely room.
Please, do you know any example about this kind of screens? And what about to get just the fabric screen and keep the current screen frame? Is it possible?

Graham

Please, do you know any example about this kind of screens? And what about to get just the fabric screen and keep the current screen frame? Is it possible?
Sure, just look up react 2.1 or 3.0 screen - you’ll find prices for various screen sizes and frame sizes. Re. The material and screen frame, if your frame is also by draper / euroscreen then they probably would sell you just the material. Other ALR screens are also around, but basically you’re looking for a silver / grey screen to improve black levels in a room that isn’t fully treated. Don’t expect miracles, but they do work well. However, price wise they’re quite a bit above a standard white screen.

Cheers

Luminated67

What @Graham is saying is no matter how good an ALR screen is it can’t do miracles with blacks during the day or with a lot of ambient light though they are a million times better than a plain white in this situation but in the dark they will give you a boost in black levels.

Unimatrix Zero

Standard Member
Hi I'm currently using a JVC DLA750 its ten years old now its been great and has never missed a beat I've not had the opportunity over the years to compare it with newer models so i guess anything new is going to impress me so would the Epson TW9400 be a worthwhile replacement for the old girl ?

Luminated67

Hi I'm currently using a JVC DLA750 its ten years old now its been great and has never missed a beat I've not had the opportunity over the years to compare it with newer models so i guess anything new is going to impress me so would the Epson TW9400 be a worthwhile replacement for the old girl ?
Unless someone who owns the Epson and maybe had the JVC previously could accurately answer that one. The JVC has better native contrast that’s a given but it’s not got the HDR handling capabilities.

I’ve only had experience of the x5900 to compare against the 9400 and like yours it’s got better blacks though I’m sure less so than yours has but I felt at the time and little was certain that the Epson throws a crisper image, one area where the Epson will be in another level is brightness, so 3D would be an option like never before plus you could jump up in screen size if wanted and not worry whether you had enough lumens to cope because it does and then some.

For you to move to a new JVC you’d be throwing more than double the price of the Epson, that’s a significant amount of money because to most even the Epson is an expensive machine.

Oddly if you aren’t into Atmos or want to be and you still are happy with the image you see sticking with what you have, I still feel I’m seeing more good quality 1080P disc than 4K ones... nothing I hate more is paying £25 quid when £15 one looks as good. That said if you crave 4K streaming and everything it has to offer then the Epson is probably the cheapest bat cave projector to fulfil that role.

Last edited:

Unimatrix Zero

Standard Member
Unless someone who owns the Epson and maybe had the JVC previously could accurately answer that one. The JVC has better native contrast that’s a given but it’s not got the HDR handling capabilities.

I’ve only had experience of the x5900 to compare against the 9400 and like yours it’s got better blacks though I’m sure less so than yours has but I felt at the time and little was certain that the Epson throws a crisper image, one area where the Epson will be in another level is brightness, so 3D would be an option like never before plus you could jump up in screen size if wanted and not worry whether you had enough lumens to cope because it does and then some.

For you to move to a new JVC you’d be throwing more than double the price of the Epson, that’s a significant amount of money because to most even the Epson is an expensive machine.

Oddly if you aren’t into Atmos or want to be and you still are happy with the image you see sticking with what you have, I still feel I’m seeing more good quality 1080P disc than 4K ones... nothing I hate more is paying £25 quid when £15 one looks as good. That said if you crave 4K streaming and everything it has to offer then the Epson is probably the cheapest bat cave projector to fulfil that role.
As much as i would like a new JVC i can't justify £6500 at the mo for a 4K model the 750 still does a great job as you say good blacks but brightness is lacking as some movies with dark scenes i do sometimes struggle to see whats going on
Best thing i can do is when things open go and see the Epson in action see if its worth upgrading or maybe hold off for a little longer till the JVC's come down in price whats £6500 today will be half that in two years time
You make a good point on the 4k disc's as some transfers are no better then the 1080p so you do have to buy carefully
I think im right in saying 4k movies come with a blue ray version in the box i could buy the films i like and still have the films in 4K for when i do upgrade

Last edited:

Trending threads

Latest News

Philips 800 Series OLED TVs come to UK in July
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 31st May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
MQA expands global partnerships for high end experience
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published