Epson TW9400/7400 information

I desperately need a new pj and had to decide between the JVC NX 5/7 or the 6050UB.

I ended up buying the Epson 6050UB (TW9400) instead of a JVC NX5/7 because it is brighter, cheaper lamp & fits our needs and non dedicated HT multi purpose, non "bat cave" room better than the NX series without $$$ breaking the bank :)

I ordered the Epson 6050UB over a month ago, but because of the "coronavirus" delivery got pushed back to ...? Anyway, I finally got word from my authorized Epson dealer that it is finally in route and he will hand deliver it sometime this week.

This is a my dilemma/problem: Because we have been ordered to "shelter in place" due to the CV, my dealer can't/won't come in and install our new 6050UB becausehe is in the high risk age group (as am I). That's not a big deal, I can hang it, however he was going to also "align the panels", check/align the pj's "uniformity" and do an "initial calibration" before the CV messed everything up. Anyway, I've never done any of this before.

Does anyone have any tips on "aligning" the red and blue panels, and on checking/correcting picture "uniformity on the Epson 6050UB/5050UB (9400/7400)?

Most important question: I have a 100 inch 16/9, 1.2 gain ALR STEWART Firehawk SST screen. My ceiling mounted Epson 6050UB will be a little over 12 feet throw distance from the screen.

Does anyone have any HDR, SDR settings/calibration advice you have found that works well that you can give me?

Do you know where I can find any "custom settings" for the 6050UB/9400 that others have created? I know they are probably posted somewhere, but the owner thread posts are enormous and I have no idea where to find these answers.

Or any free online calibration programs/tools that would prove helpful? I can't afford a new Speers and Muncile UHD calibration disk at the moment. All I have is a rudimentary calibration program on a Disney Blu-ray disk.

If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you could share them with me because I have no idea how long we will be in "shelter in place" lock down, and since we don't have a TV, the projector is our only form of entertainment and I would like it to perform as well as possible under these trying circumstances in light of not being able to have our new Epson 6050UB professionally calibrated.

I look forward to your reply and thanks in advance for your help and guidance regarding the above.
Everyone please take care and stay safe.
Once you have it hung and level most of the basic set up is fairly straight forward.
Panel alignment etc is done from the pj's menu.
In the first instance using anything other than the default settings for the first 100 hours (I think) isn't really worth adjusting too much as you need to allow time for the lamp to burn in.
If you watching 4k hdr feeds then use digital cinema or cinema, everything else should be OK using natural and or bright cinema.
The basic settings you would get from the Disney discs are fine initially, which hopefully will get you a decent enough picture.
My advice sit back and enjoy it for now let it settle in and relax.
Have fun keep safe.

I desperately need a new pj and had to decide between the JVC NX 5/7 or the 6050UB.

I ended up buying the Epson 6050UB (TW9400) instead of a JVC NX5/7 because it is brighter, cheaper lamp & fits our needs and non dedicated HT multi purpose, non "bat cave" room better than the NX series without $$$ breaking the bank :)

I ordered the Epson 6050UB over a month ago, but because of the "coronavirus" delivery got pushed back to ...? Anyway, I finally got word from my authorized Epson dealer that it is finally in route and he will hand deliver it sometime this week.

This is a my dilemma/problem: Because we have been ordered to "shelter in place" due to the CV, my dealer can't/won't come in and install our new 6050UB becausehe is in the high risk age group (as am I). That's not a big deal, I can hang it, however he was going to also "align the panels", check/align the pj's "uniformity" and do an "initial calibration" before the CV messed everything up. Anyway, I've never done any of this before.

Does anyone have any tips on "aligning" the red and blue panels, and on checking/correcting picture "uniformity on the Epson 6050UB/5050UB (9400/7400)?

Most important question: I have a 100 inch 16/9, 1.2 gain ALR STEWART Firehawk SST screen. My ceiling mounted Epson 6050UB will be a little over 12 feet throw distance from the screen.

Does anyone have any HDR, SDR settings/calibration advice you have found that works well that you can give me?

Do you know where I can find any "custom settings" for the 6050UB/9400 that others have created? I know they are probably posted somewhere, but the owner thread posts are enormous and I have no idea where to find these answers.

Or any free online calibration programs/tools that would prove helpful? I can't afford a new Speers and Muncile UHD calibration disk at the moment. All I have is a rudimentary calibration program on a Disney Blu-ray disk.

If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you could share them with me because I have no idea how long we will be in "shelter in place" lock down, and since we don't have a TV, the projector is our only form of entertainment and I would like it to perform as well as possible under these trying circumstances in light of not being able to have our new Epson 6050UB professionally calibrated.

I look forward to your reply and thanks in advance for your help and guidance regarding the above.
Everyone please take care and stay safe.

I've written a fair bit about this on there. There are also some links to MY calibrated settings. The won't be perfect, but take 5 minutes to enter and may well be better than the out of the box ones, so worth a check.

The Disney maximizer is great and there are also some free downloads to patterns. You should certainly tweak the brightness/contrast for Bluray use on my settings anyway!

As for the panel alignment. A LOT of people don't delve that deep and you'll probably get a good picture anyway. You can have a look at these settings and they're pretty easy, particularly the full panel ones. The finer ones are not much harder once you've figured out the controls and are very similar to CRT projector convergence. You can also turn this setting on/off anyway if you think you've made things worse!

Once you have it hung and level most of the basic set up is fairly straight forward.
Panel alignment etc is done from the pj's menu....

My advice sit back and enjoy it for now let it settle in and relax.
Have fun keep safe.
I plan on doing just that.
Thank you for the advice. Stay safe as well

I've written a fair bit about this on there. There are also some links to MY calibrated settings. The won't be perfect, but take 5 minutes to enter and may well be better than the out of the box ones, so worth a check.

The Disney maximizer is great and there are also some free downloads to patterns. You should certainly tweak the brightness/contrast for Bluray use on my settings anyway!...

Thank you for your detailed advice....

Where exactly will I locate your custom calibration settings?

These threads are so long, especially the 6050UB Owners thread on AVS, I literally have no idea where to find them.

Thank you for your detailed advice....

Where exactly will I locate your custom calibration settings?

It's not a forum. It's an FAQ for the projector, which is pretty easy to follow on installation, basic calibration, meter calibration and so forth. There are links to 3 different peoples calibration settings there, but also details of the machines various settings. Lots of links to reviews, 3D glasses, trouble shooting, service menu and all sorts!

Oh, I SEE! Said the blind man :)

Sorry, I was exhausted when I read your post. It didn't "click". Up until 4:00am, couldn't sleep... I wonder why ;)

Thank you so much. Between your advice and others I now have a good overview of what I need to do. Especially since this is my first 3 LCD projector ever.

Goodbye SONY PJ dimness and ongoing "panel degradation 'issues'"!

AV & AVS are such wonderful online AV communities.

One more thing that strikes me as really funny/strange is that the top of the line Epson TW9400 is WHITE, whereas the Epson 6050UB here in the United States is BLACK.

Here HT, even non dedicated HT theater owners want BLACK projectors, whereas overseas it's just the opposite, you want WHITE projectors...

I don't get it, will someone please enlighten me?

One more thing that strikes me as really funny/strange is that the top of the line Epson TW9400 is WHITE, whereas the Epson 6050UB here in the United States is BLACK.

Here HT, even non dedicated HT theater owners want BLACK projectors, whereas overseas it's just the opposite, you want WHITE projectors...

I don't get it, will someone please enlighten me?

Technically the 9400 and the 9400w offer the same performance so there isn’t a so-called top model, this isn’t the same with the 6050ub because it’s got a higher spec than it’s white cousin the 5050ub.

Great news, our Epson 6050UB (TW9400) was delivered today!

The Epson dealer said it was literally the last one available for the time being. He had ordered one for himself when he ordered ours. Only onever arrived/was available and he generously sold it to me. I am so thankful.

Ok, brief update.
First off thanks to everyone on the forum for all of your helpful advice re: setting up our Epson 6050UB/TW9400. They were really helpful.

I got the projector hung, setup and dialed in over a period of three days.
The first thing my wife said after she fired it up for the first time and saw the picture it throws was:

"WOW, is that picture SHARP!"

*And no visible "screen door effect".

Right out of the box in Natural the 4K picture is fantastic.

Because the Epson 6050UB is so BRIGHT for the first time we can watch on our 100" 16/9 ALR STEWART screen with the light's on and still have a great picture. Yes it is definitely better/superb contrast with the lights off, but it sure is great to have the option.

We purchased 2 pair of Epson 3D glasses. Watched Tron Legacy, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avatar and Titanic in 3D. Everything worked flawlessly.

The projector does an excellent job upconverting 1080p Blu-ray disks and other 1080p sources.

Needless to say we are exceptionally pleased with our purchase and highly recommend the Epson 6050UB/TW9400 to anyone who is in the market for a 4K projector.

^Glad you are enjoying your 6050, it’s a cracking machine.... :smashin:

I think that when the 9500 comes out, and presumably has some auto tone mapping features (and hopefully FI in 4K, although that’s not as important), it will be unbeatable for anything but cartoon money. The 9400 is superb as it is.

It‘s odd that, aside from getting a 7900 on a good deal, there is nothing in the enormous price gulf between the 9400 and the ‘entry level’ (cough) N5

I think that when the 9500 comes out, and presumably has some auto tone mapping features (and hopefully FI in 4K, although that’s not as important), it will be unbeatable for anything but cartoon money. The 9400 is superb as it is.

It‘s odd that, aside from getting a 7900 on a good deal, there is nothing in the enormous price gulf between the 9400 and the ‘entry level’ (cough) N5

I've not heard ANY real news , just user speculation on a new Epson model. On past release data it would be end this year, early next.

Historically they appear to do a big upgrade every 4 years with a refresh every 2, of which the 9400 was the refresh, though it fixed and improved quite reasonably on the 9300, particularly in regards to HDR.

If they go with Native 4K which is where JVC went then i can see a BIG price hike, though say £4k would fill in that price gap and still be massively competitive!
Brightness, contrast and software tweaks would be nice, but I'm not sure i'd be upgrading at the ~£2.5k price.

Also who knows how this CV thing is going to hit.....This hobby is a luxury and a lot of people are going to be hurting from it, let alone blown development time lines!

In all honesty only someone like Allan from IdealAV could answer this question but in fairness if it's due within the next 6 months I would be detrimental to their business to say as sales of the 9400 might dry up. Unless the changes are mostly cosmetic.

I think it will be a pseudo-4K again as the price hikes are enormous for 4K. Having said that, pseudo 4K with auto tone mapping, plus improved FI etc and even some increase in black level would surely make a 9500 (or whatever it’s called) an absolute stormer. Very few people could financially justify an N5 if a 9500 came with a new tone mapping feature for half / nearly half the price.

9500 came with a new tone mapping feature for half / nearly half the price.

*IF* it's just tone mapping and assuming Epson doesn't release a firmware boost like JVC did, then there may be a third way, via UHD players - I have a feeling that my Panasonic UB420 does some of this already (cut down 820)

In all honesty only someone like Allan from IdealAV could answer this question but in fairness if it's due within the next 6 months I would be detrimental to their business to say as sales of the 9400 might dry up. Unless the changes are mostly cosmetic.

hi Ken

in light of your post i've just had a quick conversation with the powers that be ;)

their is/was nothing coming this year to replace the 9400 and thats from the horses mouth, and in light of whats happening at the moment with Covid 19 their will be nothing for the foreseeable future until things start to settle down again.

With that in mind the 9400 continue's to lead the Home Cinema table regards performance and sales at its price point no question. I'm uncertain if production is halted atm at Epson HQ but if so then available stock will run out at some point in the not too distant future i'd have thought.

cheers and stay safe everyone

Allan

My guess is that Epson will bring a lamp based native 4k projector wich will probably cost around 4000-5000 euro but they will also keep/make new faux 4k for under 2.5 euro with slightly better performance compared with 9400.

At last this is what I would do if I were in their shoes.

You know that you can force your player to send the 4k signal at 60fps, right?

Ah no I didn't, cheers - but to be honest motion is so good on the LS10000 I’ve got that I never really use FI, although I’m not opposed to using it on the lowest setting for 1080 material on occasion, which suffers from barely any soap opera effect at all.

hi Ken

in light of your post i've just had a quick conversation with the powers that be ;)

their is/was nothing coming this year to replace the 9400 and thats from the horses mouth, and in light of whats happening at the moment with Covid 19 their will be nothing for the foreseeable future until things start to settle down again.

With that in mind the 9400 continue's to lead the Home Cinema table regards performance and sales at its price point no question. I'm uncertain if production is halted atm at Epson HQ but if so then available stock will run out at some point in the not too distant future i'd have thought.

cheers and stay safe everyone

Allan

Thanks Allan, always the go to man for Epson info.;)

I think every manufacturer has cold feet with regards to changing models or even furthering development until they see what everyone’s buying habits are like beyond this virus.

I’m in the grocery business so whilst very nervous having myself and staff dealing with the public but actual business is brisk. But if you are in any other retail business your sales are limited to online/phone call sales so must be having a dramatic affect on things.

On the subject of what might happen with Epson, is there any likelihood that we will see a similar HDR software upgrade like what JVC did with their N series?

Thanks Allan, always the go to man for Epson info.;)

I think every manufacturer has cold feet with regards to changing models or even furthering development until they see what everyone’s buying habits are like beyond this virus.

I’m in the grocery business so whilst very nervous having myself and staff dealing with the public but actual business is brisk. But if you are in any other retail business your sales are limited to online/phone call sales so must be having a dramatic affect on things.

On the subject of what might happen with Epson, is there any likelihood that we will see a similar HDR software upgrade like what JVC did with their N series?

Business considering what happened to me last November is not too bad, i'm ok. But work to repair the damage has ground to a complete standstill :(, no demo's since last year is taking its toll tbh

i'll ask the question with regards to a new fw but please don't hold your breath, Epson are a company who follow the rule of

"if it ain't broke don't try to fix it " ;)

but i'll ask anyway :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom