Epson TW9200 vs TW7100

phAge

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a TW9200 for about six years now, and have been very satisfied. However, a few weeks ago it developed a dust blob which I just can't seem to ignore.

I'm currently exploring my options; from attempting to remove the blob myself, to finding a qualified service technician, to just retiring the unit.

If it comes to replacing the PJ I've looked a bit at the TW7100 - but can't quite determine how it stacks up to my current TW9200?

Obviously the resolution is better, and the input lag means I can actually use it for gaming, but how about the rest of the image? The contrast on the 9200 is rated at 600.000:1 while the 7100 is only listed at 100.000:1 - considering that the contrast in the 9200 is (IMHO) merely "good" that sounds like a rather large difference and a potential dealbreaker?

The TW9200 was Epsons flagship when it launched - can the TW7100 match that at half the price, even six years down the line?

The current replacement for the epson 9200 is the 9400 ... infact new model still uses the same 1080p dark chip panel as your old projector. You’ll get a new light engine with 4k hdr abs wcg support latest hdmi 2.0 and what is probably the best affordable buy right now

the 7100 is more affordable again and actually capable of decent result but not to level of 9000 series :)

The current replacement for the epson 9200 is the 9400 ... infact new model still uses the same 1080p dark chip panel as your old projector. You’ll get a new light engine with 4k hdr abs wcg support latest hdmi 2.0 and what is probably the best affordable buy right now

the 7100 is more affordable again and actually capable of decent result but not to level of 9000 series :)
Cheers - I suspected as much. Looks like I'll have to see if the 9200 can't be fixed somehow. Does Epson service these units (outside of warranty) or will I have to find a 3rd party?

Cheers - I suspected as much. Looks like I'll have to see if the 9200 can't be fixed somehow. Does Epson service these units (outside of warranty) or will I have to find a 3rd party?

hi phage, not sure where you are, but in my country they do fix these... however the problems with dust blobs is a difficult one to comment on... to point i am not sure how fixable... they might just want to replace whole light engine...but that is quite prohibitive in cost as basically its the whole guts of the unit. really comes down to the service centre and what can or wiling to do. if that is the case its probably cheaper to get something new. This is also if they even have any refurb light engines (thats what they typically fit) for what is a quite older model. I'e had a refurb light engine fitted to an epson on mine and to be honest it wasnt acceptable as a repair... even to the service agent who highly recommended I not accept the refurb and get epson to replace the unit in entirety... which they ended up doing.

Id check in with your local service centre, check with the tech there and talk through the issue. again some centres are not willing to do that here where i am. they want to inspect the unit and charge what is a significant sum even to do that !

hi phage, not sure where you are, but in my country they do fix these... however the problems with dust blobs is a difficult one to comment on... to point i am not sure how fixable... they might just want to replace whole light engine...but that is quite prohibitive in cost as basically its the whole guts of the unit. really comes down to the service centre and what can or wiling to do. if that is the case its probably cheaper to get something new. This is also if they even have any refurb light engines (thats what they typically fit) for what is a quite older model. I'e had a refurb light engine fitted to an epson on mine and to be honest it wasnt acceptable as a repair... even to the service agent who highly recommended I not accept the refurb and get epson to replace the unit in entirety... which they ended up doing.

Id check in with your local service centre, check with the tech there and talk through the issue. again some centres are not willing to do that here where i am. they want to inspect the unit and charge what is a significant sum even to do that !
I'm in Denmark, so not even sure Epson services consumer products here (luckily I saved the box if it needs to be shipped...).

The curveball is that I have pretty good private insurance: in essence repairs can never run me at more than ~$150 and, if that isn't possible, I get 50% of the original cost of the unit back (about $1300) towards a replacement.

However, while I would prefer to just get the 9200 fixed and get on with things, I'm definitely not interested in getting a sup-par unit back with a refurb light engine, so the question right now is how I make sure that the 9200 is *properly* fixed?

Would you insist on getting the repairs done at an Epson facility, and what - if anything - should I do before and after repairs to make sure I get an essentially new unit back?

(My first 7200 also had dust blobs, and when I got that back fro repairs the red LCD panel had taken a knock - fortunately that was so obvious that a replacement unit was shipped immediately).

However, while I would prefer to just get the 9200 fixed and get on with things, I'm definitely not interested in getting a sup-par unit back with a refurb light engine, so the question right now is how I make sure that the 9200 is *properly* fixed?

in my case ... the local tech got me in to have a look at it as he wasnt happy himself and showed me cleary why and why not to accept as a solution. apparently they only change out refurb light engines as there is no ways to fix these here where i am. I can't speak for self or what tech you might use. apparently it needs a full clean room style arrangement and very careful work - I beleive its only done by epson and not even in my country. hence the change over.

Would you insist on getting the repairs done at an Epson facility, and what - if anything - should I do before and after repairs to make sure I get an essentially new unit back?

would insist on having a look at it yourself to make sure acceptable... mine was still under warranty so i had the luxury of not accepting the result... not sure what happens if its an out of warranty repair ?

(My first 7200 also had dust blobs, and when I got that back fro repairs the red LCD panel had taken a knock - fortunately that was so obvious that a replacement unit was shipped immediately).
yes unfortunately susceptible to dust these things... the problem with a refurb light engine is also you get a refurb so no idea on track record or prior condition....

Hmm, yeah. Just got off the phone with Epsons repair shop in Denmark - they'll get a technician to call me back, but it sounds like getting the light engine replaced will be costly to the extent that my insurance will probably prefer to pay half the cost of a new PJ.

OK - looks like I'll be sending in the unit for repair, so they can determine whether or not the blob can be removed. Replacing the light engine is out of the question, as the model is out of production.

If they can blow away the dust, I assume that there is nothing they can do to break/damage the internals in the proces, so there is nothing to worry about re: getting a PJ with reduced image quality back?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom