Epson TW9200 3D LCD Projector Review

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hodg100, Apr 2, 2014.

1. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,455
    2. jakimp

jakimp

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +982
      detailed review as usual Steve. if there is nothing to choose between the epson and the Sony, should they not have both scored 9 out of 10?

3. lapino

lapino

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +57
      I have the TW9200W but find it annoyingly loud in 3D mode. Keep wondering if I have a broken projector, especially since there's no mention here about the noise either.

4. Dan201

Dan201

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +598
      I have the TW9000 and agree that the 'normal mode' is too loud to be usable in a normal set up. A shame as the reason I went for the Epson was its increased brightness, feature I don't get to use. I wonder how bright it is in comparison to other projectors when set to eco. Id like it if they said how loud the projectors are at various brightness settings rather than just full brightness/operating noise.

5. Boeriemore

Boeriemore
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      I have the TW9200W. Got it up and running today for the first time.
      I have a problem with the glasses though.
      The manual states that they must be charged using either a HD wireless transmitter(whatever that is)
      or the optional DC adaptor (optional meaning not supplied)
      I first charged them from my PC's USB port.
      It took about 20 minutes when the red light turned green.
      I used them for a few minutes then switched off.
      A few days later on switching on, no light lit up so I charged them again.
      After 15 minutes green light on.
      The manual states that the green light is lit for 10 seconds when switching on and that
      this indicates that it is successfully turned on, yet mine flash on and off continually.
      Has anyone else experienced this problem and is charging off the PC OK?

6. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      The TW9200 (and previous generations) are quite loud in their 3D mode but that applies to all projectors. As soon as you increase the brightness, the bulb generates more heat and thus requires more cooling. I don't think there's any way around that unless you move up the price ladder to projectors with more expensive enclosures. However I wouldn't be surprised if you could get a brighter image out of a TW9200 in Eco mode than many other projectors in their high mode.

7. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      There's no problem charging from your PC, in fact that's what I always do but can I recommend leaving them charging for longer, say a couple of hours and then give them a try. You need to turn them on when the projector is showing a 3D image and the light should stop flashing once the glasses have sync'd with the picture.

8. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      They should indeed and that was a typo on my part, the Sony should also have been scored 9/10 overall. I have corrected that now, thanks for pointing it out.

9. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      The new Sony HW40ES will only cost around £1,800, so that could really shake the market up. We'll be getting the HW40ES in for review at the start of May but I'm about to review the TW7200, which costs about the same, so I'll be interested to see how well it performs.

10. lapino

lapino

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +57
      Yeah if I know the Sony was coming, I think I would have bought that one instead of the Epson.

11. Boeriemore

Boeriemore
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      OK. So I don't stop charging when the light turns green despite what the manual says? Will try that.

12. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      Despite what it might say in the manual (never the most reliable source of information) I always leave them charging for a couple of hours just to make sure.

13. jakimp

jakimp

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +982
      the sony is still very quiet even when in 3D full power mode. it is barely any noisier whichever lamp mode you use.

14. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,419
      Steve, did you notice any big improvement between this and the 8100 from last year?

15. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      Not really, each iteration from Epson doesn't seem that different from the one that proceeded it.

16. couto27

couto27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +121
      Some questions Steve...

1- The Room used for the Epson TW9200 review is total dark, or how much dark is the room ?

From other review it was mention this :
      In terms of direct competition the obvious choice is JVC's DLA-X35 ... is currently cheaper to buy. The native black levels are superior, as is the quality of the lens used ... So if you have a 'scope screen or a very dark room, then the X35 remains the preferred choice. However, if you use a 16:9 ratio screen or there's a lot of ambient light in your room, then the Sony VPL-HW55ES.

Tha leades to my next question

2- The x35 vs hw55 was a direct comparison made in two distincts Rooms ? Dark room and ambient light living Room ?

Because a friend told that he made a direct comparison between the x35 and hw55 in dark room, and the hw55 was much superior.

3- Where the TW9200 fits between the x35 and hw55 ?

4- Also i receive a email from epson UK stating that the TW9200 is the 6030UB in USA, what you have to say about that ?

Thank you for contacting Epson's UK Customer [email protected] Centre.
      In reply to your email, I could only find one similar specification model. The rest of the models there are similar ones but slightly different specifications such as Lumens or contrast ratio:

TW9200 EU in USA is..... Pro Cinema 6030UB
      If you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact the EPSON Customer [email protected] Centre and we will endeavour to resolve any further queries you may have.
      Regards
      Andrew Nicholls
      e-Service Support Technician
      EPSON Customer [email protected] Centre

17. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,050
      Thanks for your review Steve. I concur with everything you have to say. I calibrated a TW9200 projecting onto a Black Diamond screen recently and was really impressed. It calibrated very easily and accurately too. 3d, as you say, is particularly impressive. So, a serious contender in the £2k-3k zone and a must for demo along with the Sony HW55es if you are buying in this price bracket.

18. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      1 - We review all projectors in a pitch black dedicated home cinema.
      2 - In my opinion the X35 is the superior projector in a pitch black room, although I wasn't in a position to do a side-by-side comparison. If you can I would always recommend demoing before you buy.
      3 - Well the X35 won't be available for much longer but if you use a scope screen or have a pitch black room, that would still be my current choice. As far as the HW55 and TW9200 are concerned, both work well in dark or light rooms and are very similar in terms of performance. The HW55 has Reality Creation, which a lot of people like but I think the TW9200 has the edge in terms of 3D. It's a tough choice and once again I'd recommend demoing them both if you can.
      4 - I'm not really in a position to comment on Epson's worldwide range of projectors.

19. kungfuman

kungfuman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +107
      From what I gather the US editions of the 5030UB and 6030UB are identical (the 6030UB has some extra stuff such as mounting bracket and spare bulb) - both of which are equivalent to the TW9200. Only difference I have spotted so far is that the 5030/6030 have a THX mode which does not appear to be on the TW9200. Not sure why.

The US version 4030 is equivalent to the TW7200.

20. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      The absence of THX certification in Europe is almost certainly due to a licensing and/or cost issue but given all the components are mass-produced, I can't imagine there are any real difference in performance, especially if you get your projector calibrated.

21. neo_2009

neo_2009

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +408
      In a room with full light control, white walls and ceiling, and for night viewing only, without the chance of demoing, which projector would you choose?

22. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,050
      I can't speak for Steve, but my answer would be that the HW55 and TW9200 are so close in performance terms that other factors must inevitably sway the balance. My main concern with LCD projectors like the TW9200 is dust blobs. The possibility of such would probably incline me to the Sony projector. That said the Epson scores in 3d in that it uses the more practical RF glasses while the Sony uses IR out of the box. Indeed, some might well find the Sony IR glasses a bit of a pain as they are on the heavy side. You can buy an optional RF emitter and glasses for the Sony however and recoup most of the cost of that by reselling the IR glasses on the classifieds. I think the higher fill factor of SXRD versus LCD would sway me to the Sony too as I like to sit close to my screens. Warranties are pretty much the same although I will add that whenever I've had cause to use Sony Prime support they've been really fantastic. Never had an Epson projector so can't compare there. Really, there's not much else to separate the two. So it's a very difficult choice! In the end the dust blobs possibility and higher fill factor of SXRD just sways me to the Sony tbh. Hope that helps.

23. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      The points Jules makes about dust blob and fill factors are very valid, although how relevant the latter is will depend on how far you sit from the screen. As far as dust blobs go, they could be an issue because the light path on a LCD projector can't be sealed but with improved filtering etc., it has become much less of an issue. There are a lot of people that like the Reality Creation feature on the HW55 but others, myself included, think it makes the image look a little too processed. Personally I preferred the 3D on the TW9200 but as Jules says if you buy the RF emitter and glasses for the Sony, that helps. I think if it was me, I'd probably go towards the Sony for the reasons that Jules has mentioned but I'd definitely get the RF glasses if that was the case.

24. neo_2009

neo_2009

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +408
      I'm sorry, i forgot to had i don't have relevant interest in 3D.
      For 2D only, even with white surroundings, wouldn't the JVC be a better choice?

25. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      OK in that case I'd probably go with the HW55. As far as the X35 is concerned, even though you can block out all the light, the reflections off the white walls and ceiling will wash out the blacks to a degree, robbing the JVC of some of its dynamic range. It is considerably less bright than the other two, so as the bulb ages it might struggle with the white walls and ceiling as well. However, if you use a 2.35:1 screen, the motorised lens controls and lens memory are very useful. Of course you could always paint the walls and ceiling a darker colour but if you fancy getting the X35 I'd be quick, before they're all gone.

26. couto27

couto27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +121
      Thanks steve

27. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,419
      I'm amazed, and pleasantly surprised that the Epson is being favourably compared to JVC and Sony actually.

28. themovierooms

themovierooms
      Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +765
      Thanks for the review Steve. Epson's have regularly been good over the last 5 years or so. They probably have one of the best warranties as well. Performance wise it has always been up there, if ever there were minor grumbles the focus slip & loudness on full power were sometimes issues.

29. fredwatt

fredwatt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +42
      Great review Steve thank you. If the main criticism is dust blobs, are there any normal practices which mitigate this risk?

30. jakimp

jakimp

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +982
      buy the sony instead?