Epson TW8100 (EH-TW8100) 3 Chip LCD 1080p 3D Projector Review

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by The News Bot, Dec 3, 2012.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +445
      Reviewed by Stephen Withers, 3rd December 2012. The consumer truly is spoilt for choice at the moment but if you're looking for a projector that combines exceptional value with a great performance, then the Epson EH-TW8100 should be at the top of your list. It certainly holds its own in a competitive market and whilst there are minor issues, you'll be amazed at what can be achieved at the sub £2,500 price point - Highly Recommended.
      Read the full review...

2. Douglas Harley

Douglas Harley
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Hello,

Re the comment about focusing the Epsons being a two person job, because they don't have motorised focus controls. I use a pair of binoculars. You simply stand by your projector, and focus the binoculars on the screen. Then you can adjust the focus ( on the projector ) quickly, easily and accurately. Possibly more accurately than one with a motorised control.

3. Douglas Harley

Douglas Harley
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Great review!

I'm trying to decide between the Epson EH-TW9100 and the Panasonic PT-AT6000E.

Exactly what equipment do you use to do your testing and calibration? Exactly what equipment would I have to purchase to do the same tests at home? Assuming the equipment you have is outside my budget, what would you recommend as a lower budget option to get close to the tests that you perform?

Thanks for your time.

4. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      Great idea, I never thought of that!

I use a Klein K-10 colormeter, a Sencore MP500 signal generator and CalMAN Professional calibration software, all of which is very expensive to be honest. For something a bit more affordable you could try something along the lines of this: http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Spy...-Software-Calibration-Package_345/Review.html

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
    5. Douglas Harley

Douglas Harley
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Hello Steve,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the excellent work you do on the reveiws.

Also, I'm not sure this question has been asked yet, but if you had to choose between the Panasonic PT-AT6000E and the Epson EH-TW8100 ( or 9100 ), which one would you choose, and why?

Thanks again.

6. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      Well I didn't cover the PT-AT6000 but looking at Phil's review, the two seem very similar in terms of performance. Neither include glasses but the TW8100 at least uses the new RF standard, for some reason the PT-AT6000 still uses infra-red, despite Panasonic's 2012 TVs using RF. The Panasonic has a few more features like lens memory, which is handy if you use a 2.35:1 screen, but it's really up to the individual to decide if those warrant the additional £750. My advice is to try and demo them both and then make your mind up.

7. lgreis

lgreis
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Good afternoon, I have no way to calibrate the RGB and RGBCMY, can i use the values ​​you have in the review, since it is the same model, and then calibrate the color saturation and tint with a blue filter thx glasses? And the values of rgb and rgbcmy you have in natural mode are the same in cinema mode?
      Thanks

8. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      The RGB and RGBCMY settings I used were for the specific unit I was reviewing and my viewing environment, they really can't be transferred to another unit. As an example I calibrated a TW6000 which then developed a fault, when I calibrated the replacement, the settings were markedly different. However, the Natural colour mode and 6500K colour temperature are actually quite accurate, as seen in the graphs in the test section. So if you use those and check the Brightness and Contrast controls using the guide lines in PicturePerfect Step 3 (PicturePerfect Step 3 : how to set up the brightness, contrast, colour and sharpness on your TV | AVForums.com - UK Online), you should get a very good picture.

9. fredwatt

fredwatt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +42
      Thank you for the detailed review Steve - gives us a wonderful detailed perception.

Can I ask a question about noise? In another sites review for the 9100 I noticed they chose to mention that the noise was noticeable in Normal mode, but not noticeable in Eco mode.

I am considering this or a 9100. I'd be mounting this in a living room above the seating area. Do you think that we might notice any drone or fan noise from the device when watching a film at low volume levels - we have neighbours :)

I wasn't sure if it was an attribute of the device or might have been the reviewers epson.

10. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      As I said in the review: "When running in ECO mode the TW8100 is genuinely quiet, meaning you can be sat quite close to it before you will hear anything whilst watching normal content."

In terms of 3D which uses Normal mode: "It is worth noting that in the 3D modes, the additional brightness is added by using the higher bulb setting and as a result the TW8100 is louder than when in ECO mode."

Hope that helps.

11. fredwatt

fredwatt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +42
      Hi Steve, thanks for your previous comments - appreciated. I have strongly been thinking of purchasing the 8100, but just read this concern about 'picture convegence' on the American forum. The photos do illustrate a flaws which I would not expect.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1427196/n...20-available-in-october-and-november-2012/480

The problem as outlined seems to be effecting the new epsons 8100/9100 - people who seek replacements end up with the same issue. It does look bad.

Did you see anything during your review? Can you comment about what people are finding. I have never owned a projector so my knowledge is poor..

I am very concerned, as I do not wish to purchase a product which might have a implementation problem. Thoughts?

12. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      I talk about the convergence in the review, the sample I had was quite good but I do appreciate it is a bit of a lottery. However there is a panel alignment feature that you can use the correct any mis-alignment, so personally I don't think it's an issue. Those photos you linked to are being taken right up next to the screen, I doubt that you would even be able to tell for a sensible viewing distance.

13. fredwatt

fredwatt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +42
      Thank you for replying Steve (and it's Saturday). I value your opinion. I read about the option to reduce the effect, it's mentioned on other reviews and in the American forums. This appears to be a 'soft' video processing option to resolve/hide the effect so it's still there just processed out (if it's fair to say that).

I will be watching from 2.8 meters so will not see the shadowing - I was worried about beaming up a computer source over hdmi and having issues with distorted text.

The 8100 appears to be a wonderful projector on all other accounts, very positive reviews by your self and others. I'll watch the American forum for a while.

Thank you for your honest opinion it does 'ease the mind'. A bit of a lottery this one.

14. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      The TW8100 does offer exceptional value and performance but as always Fred, I'd recommend demoing the projector if at all possible before parting with your hard-earned cash.

15. Tom2681

Tom2681
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Hello,
      Quick question:
      I understand that this projector switches from eco to normal lamp mode when switching from 2D to 3D.

But:
      Is this simply caused by the presets? (3D Dynamic and 3D Cinema)
      In other words, am I still allowed to choose eco mode when viewing 3D or is the option grayed out altogether?

I realize that using eco mode with the glasses might screw the brightness and possibly the color temperature, but I'm just wondering if it's possible at all.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
    16. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      Yes it is a default of the presets but as far as I know you can elect to change the Lamp Power Consumption setting when in one of the 3D modes.

17. Tom2681

Tom2681
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Just what I was hoping for.
      Thank you. :smashin:

18. mikal

mikal
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      great review, what kind of canvas suits best for this PJ?

19. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,258
      The choice of screen largely depends on your viewing environment.

20. TheTalos

TheTalos

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +23
      I've used binoculars in the past and it does work quite well. Another method which I find even better is putting my DSLR camera on a tripod in front of me optical zoomed into the test pattern. I can then watch the screen on the back of the camera with both hands free to adjust the projector. Also the camera & tripod are very stable whereas with binoculars zoomed in you're trying to look at a shaky image as well as wobbling the projector by adjusting it. (Could just be my hands though, maybe I need to drink less whisky.... or more?)

Mike.