Question Epson TW7400 - poor picture!

soundchip

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone have experience with setting up projector with optimal settings on the TW7400 please.
I've just bought one, but am disappointed with the picture quality.

I'm using alongside a high speed HDMI cable coming out of a Humax box 1100S, into the projector.
Over weekend I was projecting BBC2 HD with the snooker for consistent picture and fiddling with setting to see if I could get picture quality better.
Just wondering what I;m doing wrong?

Regards

Hi,
Does anyone have experience with setting up projector with optimal settings on the TW7400 please.
I've just bought one, but am disappointed with the picture quality.

I'm using alongside a high speed HDMI cable coming out of a Humax box 1100S, into the projector.
Over weekend I was projecting BBC2 HD with the snooker for consistent picture and fiddling with setting to see if I could get picture quality better.
Just wondering what I;m doing wrong?

Regards
Hi there, just wondering what picture settings you are using, natural, cinema, digital cinema etc...what lamp power are you using, eco, medium, high?

Do you have a lot of ambient light in the room?

What size screen are you projecting onto? As terrestrial HD channels projected, wont look as sharp or detailed. I watched the snooker on this projector, but used the BBC sports app and looked better than terrestrial TV.

The better the source component and source quality you feed it, the better the image will look.

Hi Nayfne,
Thanks for responding.

Do you have the same projector then? How long have you had?
What are the best settings you find with it are?

I'm using the default setup, how the projector came as only had few days. I have changed picture settings just too test - natural, cinema etc, but only shade changes, not particularly picture quality.

I'm projecting onto an electric white screen, 100".
Projector as a test is just placed on a table quite close to screen. How do you use the BBC sports app with the projector?, through a laptop?
Due to test with amazon prime, netflix and disney, but sadly not that impressed, but the reviews are good, which is why I wonder if doing something wrong.

Regards

Can you describe what you think is wrong with the picture? Is it blurry? Washed out? Poor colour?

Hi Nayfne,
Thanks for responding.

Do you have the same projector then? How long have you had?
What are the best settings you find with it are?

I'm using the default setup, how the projector came as only had few days. I have changed picture settings just too test - natural, cinema etc, but only shade changes, not particularly picture quality.

I'm projecting onto an electric white screen, 100".
Projector as a test is just placed on a table quite close to screen. How do you use the BBC sports app with the projector?, through a laptop?
Due to test with amazon prime, netflix and disney, but sadly not that impressed, but the reviews are good, which is why I wonder if doing something wrong.

Regards
Yes mate, i have this projector, had it for a year and a half in a dedicated black out room, it produces an excellent image imo..my sources are
1. BBQ
2. Ketchup ( just joking here lol)

I use a Apple TV 4k, a Samsung 4k uhd player and a region free Sony Blu ray player.

I use the BBC sports app through the Apple 4k TV.

My settings are tweaked, courtesy of a few calibrated settings given to me by an AVF legend on here, which i can't really share, because he paid for them! But they will differ considerably in different viewing environments.

Do you have a light colour scheme in the viewing room? I'm projecting on to a 92" screen mate.

Yes mate, i have this projector, had it for a year and a half in a dedicated black out room, it produces an excellent image imo..my sources are
1. BBQ
2. Ketchup ( just joking here lol)

I use a Apple TV 4k, a Samsung 4k uhd player and a region free Sony Blu ray player.

I use the BBC sports app through the Apple 4k TV.

My settings are tweaked, courtesy of a few calibrated settings given to me by an AVF legend on here, which i can't really share, because he paid for them! But they will differ considerably in different viewing environments.

Do you have a light colour scheme in the viewing room? I'm projecting on to a 92" screen mate.
Yes, magnolia type colour scheme.

Where do you suggest I go from here? to get things better?
How much were the calibrated settings?

Yes, magnolia type colour scheme.

Where do you suggest I go from here? to get things better?
How much were the calibrated settings?
I didn't pay for the calibration settings myself, but you are probably looking at £150-£200..but to save money, trust me, the darker the room and reflections, the more punchier the image...i have a few pictures taken on my Samsung S8 phone, i know the HDR phone camera can make things look a lot better, but I've never been disappointed with this projector since I've owned it. Coming from a Ben Q W1070.
20200628_150149.jpg
20200620_162543.jpg
20200628_145636.jpg

I’m guessing what you are describing it lack of pop from the image. Room conditions can greatly affect this because with white walls and ceiling you can get reflection bouncing back on to the screen which in turn washes up the image, much less than having a light on or some ambient light but still affects the picture.... two ways to help against this, first is painting your walls and ceiling a dark a colour you feel comfortable with but obviously the darker the better, if that’s a non starter for you or your partner then maybe switching to a screen with a grey finish because it has a similar affect as painting the walls by improving your blacks which turn makes your image pop.

The sharpness of the image is actually controllable in the menu, on the top menu is the image adjustments, don’t adjust the sharpness just left it default level 5, on down you will see Image Enhancement click it and you can turn ON the 4K Enhancement, just below it is the presets from 1 up to 5, I prefer either 2 or 3 as they give enough sharpness without looking over done.

Just a heads up but Sky isn’t that great for image quality, even it’s 4K UHD isn’t as good as a proper Blu-ray Disc so if you want your projector to shine feed it a proper Blu-ray Disc and preferably a 4K one.

I’m using the model above yours but the image sharpness are roughly on par with each other and it’s mostly better blacks mine has but this is the kind of image you should be able to get once your conditions are right.

46113D93-C2A4-44CB-8656-1CFA7364ACD6.jpeg

46534C52-9F79-4218-824A-1205ACDC573F.jpeg

Trust me these projectors are capable of wonderful images.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom