Epson TW7200 vs Panasonic AT6000 vs Sony HW40ES

Cip

Standard Member
Reaction score
HI,

I'm new here and looking to buy a projector.
I will use it in a room 4m x 5m, H=2.6m and will be positioned at 4m distance from the projection wall at the height of 1.6m
I will be sitting at 2.8m from the screen so I am looking for a projected image of about 100' (depends of the quality of the projector).
The room have all the walls painted in mate white and I will be watching during the night (2d movies 1080p or 4k)

I can buy one of the following (all are new):
Epson TW7200 = 1474 Euro (this is the projector I would like to buy)
Panasonic PT-AT6000 = 1644 Euro
Sony HW40ES = 2125 Euro
Sony HW65ES = 2751 Euro

My question is: How good are these for watching 2d movies (i'm not interested in 3d movies). I'm interested in details and colors accuracy.
Do they come close to a plasma of 100 inch (if such a plasma were available to buy)? If there is a noticeable difference in image quality between these projectors I would prefer to buy the better one (even if it's more expensive) instead of being sorry later.

The Epson model you mention is not an equal with the others. It is a cheaper unit. Epson make more expensive projectors that are on par with the others. I'd go with the HW65 if you can afford it or the HW40. The Panasonic is a good price but has been around a bit longer.

The Epson model you mention is not an equal with the others. It is a cheaper unit. Epson make more expensive projectors that are on par with the others. I'd go with the HW65 if you can afford it or the HW40. The Panasonic is a good price but has been around a bit longer.
Is there a big difference between the Panasonic and HW40 in terms of 2d image quality ? Is there any place where one can see high quality pictures taken from projected images ? ... so I can make an idea about the difference ? Thanks

I'm not sure pictures of the images would be helpful. Have you checked the reviews on this site and others?

I'm not sure pictures of the images would be helpful. Have you checked the reviews on this site and others?
Yes. For 2 days I read reviews of projectors. I started with sub 1000 Euro projectors and now I'm already up to 2750 :). But still I didn't find any one saying if you get better quality from a projector (and how much would that cost) or a 65 inch TV. I know that a bigger image is more immersive and addictive but I don't know if a 1920x1080 resolution is enough for a 100 inch projected image nor how good it actually is.

After reading many many reviews I find out which projector is better than the other but not how good it actually is.

On tv's is very simple: A decent plasma si very good when paired with a blue-ray. A Led / Lcd will never have accurate colors but is very bright and crisp. If you have a good video source the problem is half solved. With projectors I didn't find any single review or article explaining what is acceptable, what is good and what is very good in terms of image quality.
When you read TV reviews you find out if the TV is good or bad and that's it. When you read a projector review you find out if the projector is good or bad for it's price range and there is always a higher range of prices and there are always better projectors. You read that a 1500 Euro projector is very good and then you find a 2500 Euro projector which is much better but then you find a 5000 Euro projector which is in a different league ... so you end up with basically no answer. If you go back to the 1500 Euro projector it makes you think it's pretty bad if there are so much more expensive projectors with same resolution.

So this is my dilemma :) ... and i bet others have the same questions (unless they already have a projector).

For me a TV is for general viewing. Watching the news and other stuff. A projector is for watching an event- like a movie or football, in a darkened room. So decide what you be watching because a projector is not an alternative to a TV.
As for definition, 1920 x 1080 is excellent. As always, sit at the right distance from the screen.

I will be watching movies only (2d 1080p or 4K).

At least nine people out of ten will be blown away when they see even cheap projector. Your choices should be at the level where room starts to be bigger factor in PQ than projector, you should be pleased with any of them.

That said, for some people projector is too much of a hassle and they just use TV because it's so much easier. But if you have a dedicated place for projector and you enjoy watching movies you should definitely try it.

Btw, how about the screen and sound, have you thought of them, also big part of movie experience.

For the screen I will initially use the wall. If I'll not be satisfied then I will try to use a white material / canvas used for printing stretched on a big frame. The desired size will not be a problem to create. Also, the texture can be mate or glossy with with a bigger or smaller granulation --> I will study the problem a bit before doing this.

Sound: I have a basic 2.1 and I will use an optical cable. In the future I plan to upgrade it also.
Image source: Minix Neo x8-h --> It has optical audio, it can output the same refresh as the Movie fps, it can play 4k movies.

If i buy the epson TW7200 probably I will go with a 4K projector in 2-3 years when they will be more accessible.
If I buy the Sony HW65ES (which I saw in reviews that it has one of the best image for 1080p) then probably I will not buy any 4k too soon.

Regarding the settings: Spending a few hours for calibration should not be a problem.

Today I sampled the TW9200 and TW6600 + one 4K model from Sony. The day after tomorrow I will see the Sony HW65ES.

The TW9200 was quite impressive and I liked it a lot. The TW6600 didn't display so many colors / nuances so it is less impressive.
Unfortunately I can not test the TW7200 as only one unit is available to buy and that is sealed.
My question is: How different / close in image quality is TW7200 to TW9200 (for 2d only) ? According to some reviews these are pretty close so I believe I would be quite happy with the TW7200 (considering the price). If it is a noticeable difference then i would probably go with the Sony HW65ES which is very close in price to the TW9200.

I would go for the Sony HW40ES if I was you. Unless you want to pay another €600+ for an adjustible iris on the Sony HW65ES which I don't think you will miss on the HW40ES (I just adjust brightness to do similar thing).

I went from Epson TW1000 to the Sony and no comparison picture wise regarding motion resolution and black levels.

Also if I were you I would change the white walls to much darker colour - will destroy your black levels with all the reflected white light off walls.

Your other question about comparison to TVs - I have a 50" LG plasma in same room as PJ and I never use it - picture is way better from PJ. Also it's projected over 3m (145") wide in a 5m x 5m room and no problems displaying 1080P - no pixels visible.

So, I've done some more research and put everything on paper:
Sony HW65ES delivers better image than HW55ES
HW55ES is a little bit better than HW40ES (the former have no adjustable iris and this affects the black levels)
HW40ES is a little bit better than Epson TW7200

Unfortunately I can not test the TW7200.
The HW40ES is too expensive compared to TW7200 and just a little bit better on 2D quality (according to review-ers).
So in the end it will be the Epson TW7200 or the Sony HW65ES. Both have very good quality / price and the second is twice as expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom