Epson TW7100 v TW7400

Eisley

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm trying to decide between an Epson TW7100 (£1490) and TW7400 (£1799). I had a TW2900 until now. I will mostly use it for watching movies (4k where possible) and will eventually get myself an Xbox Series X (and currently have an Xbox One). It will mostly (if not entirely) be used in a darkened room projecting onto a wall. I have searched and read a few differences between the projectors but cannot work out which would be better. Is there an easy answer? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

I have not looked at them individually but a quick skeg shows the 7400 having better 4k experience and HDR. Yes its false 4k but looking to the future there is going to be more 4k and HDR around so that would push me towards spending the extra.

If your never going 4k, you might save a bit. I know you are buying but the 7400 might have better resale price cos of the 4k, if you ever decide to upgrade.

Not looked recently but real 4k was a lot more expensive and the 7400 get good reviews so is cost effective

I have not looked at them individually but a quick skeg shows the 7400 having better 4k experience and HDR. Yes its false 4k but looking to the future there is going to be more 4k and HDR around so that would push me towards spending the extra.

If your never going 4k, you might save a bit. I know you are buying but the 7400 might have better resale price cos of the 4k, if you ever decide to upgrade.

Not looked recently but real 4k was a lot more expensive and the 7400 get good reviews so is cost effective
Thanks for your reply. That's very helpful.

??? both projectors have the same resolution, their both marketed as 4k upscaling pixel shift.

Hi. I'm trying to decide between an Epson TW7100 (£1490) and TW7400 (£1799). I had a TW2900 until now. I will mostly use it for watching movies (4k where possible) and will eventually get myself an Xbox Series X (and currently have an Xbox One). It will mostly (if not entirely) be used in a darkened room projecting onto a wall. I have searched and read a few differences between the projectors but cannot work out which would be better. Is there an easy answer? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.
did you decide in also looking at these 2 option.

What worries me is my room, it's an open plan kitchen diner and painted all white so not sure if the tw7400 will bright enough and will be approx 5m away from the screen..

I really would like to try b4 i buy

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I didn't see any notifications about new posts to this thread until today. In the end, I got the 7100 which, to me, seems super bright.

I only have two minor negative comments about it. The first is that it struggles sometimes when there are large patches of darkness with a gradient on screen which look clumsily pixelated, but this is very occasional so not a big deal.

The second (and something I've still not worked out) is that the brightness takes noticeable jumps upwards and downwards when the image changes to a much darker or brighter image. I think this is to do with the iris (but I know little about these things) and it's trying to make the dark images more viewable by increasing brightness, and dropping the brightness back down when bright images are shown. I appreciate what it's trying to do, but it's very clunky so you notice the obvious steps up and down in brightness which are distracting. I haven't worked out how to stop it doing it as I'd prefer not to have that.

(One other note is that I use an Xbox Series X for all my projection and, sometimes, switching between different apps like from Netflix to Amazon Prime seems to confuse the projector as the screen goes blank for quite a while (even though I can hear the Xbox is still running/responding). No idea what that is about. Probably more to do with the Xbox than the 7100.)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom