1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson TW3200/3600 owners thread

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kbfern, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmog

Jmog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Gorm, I've added you as friend. Try now :)

2. Gorm

Gorm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I keep getting:
    1. Jmog has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove Jmog from the recipient list and send the message again.
    So here goes a Ghetto PM:

"Hej Jmog

Jeg står selv og vil anskaffe mig en TW3200 (regner med at få en demo af MightyMouse, han bor lidt tættere på).

Mit spørgsmål drejer sig egentlig mest om lærredet hvilke tanker har du gjort dig? Udover den faste rammer, som du har nævnt.

Jeg har kigget lidt forskellige steder og er faldet over et tab tensioned motoriseret lærred fra Tyskland til ca. 4.500,- kr., men det virker lidt voldsomt ift. projektorens pris.

Venlig hilsen

Gorm aka Morten"

3. Jmog

Jmog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Hi Gorm and Bjur

I disovered I can receive PM's from people with a high enough count of posts. But since I am not one of them, I have no way of answering ;-)

Bjur, to answer your PM: Sure, you can come over and demo the unit. Send me a PM with your email and we can work out a time you can come by.

Gorm, apparently we are barred from exchanging PMs so far :lesson:
    But your question about what thoughts I had in deciding which screen to get will be my pleasure to answer. I'll write it in English - the others might find it inspiring their own plans for screens :)

At first I thought that an Elite Screen rolldown screen would be fine. Then I started reading about the different types, different brands and the pros of going for a framed screen instead of a normal rolling screen.

Since it's really not more expensive than a roller and the screen will be hanging on a wall that's only used for projecting the image, the pros of a framed screen (will never curl) sold it for me.

Then I started looking at screen material. High gain or low gain? Well, the TW3200 is quite bright so high gain seems to be overkill. Pretty much everyone (myself included after the first couple of days) runs it in eco mode and Cinema mode to avoid crushing the contrast and black levels with too much brightness. So low gain (around 0.8-1.0) would seem ideal.

Then we come to fabric - white or grey high contrast? At first I thought white would be the way to go due to better colour reproduction, then I became obsessed with contrast and considered the grey ones and finally I found that I for a little extra money can get the best of both worlds:
    Lissau Plano Frame 16:9 Widescreen Fast-ramme Lærreder - True Color dug med gain 1.0 - ISF Cert., AV-Connection A/S

This is an ISF-certified (already I feel tingly) screen which is absolutely fantastisc when it comes to both black levels and colour reproduction. At first when reading about this, I couldn't quite make out whether the focus on colours meant that it was not as good at doing black levels as the grey one. Either fantastic colours or fantastic contrast? Tough choice.

Today I went by a home cinema shop (Hifiklubben - Åboulevarden in Copenhagen) where they had three Lissau screens in their demo room. Two white ones (very good) and then the true colour screen in 125" size with a 1300 Ansi Lumen projector delivering the image. The image was soooo good. The contrast and the reflective properties were superb. And the colours? Utter perfection - they were running The Dark Knight Blu-ray and it looked exactly like it did in the cinema.

...so right now I am almost hoping my friend of a friend can't deliver, because I can't imagine him being able to find anything this good ;-). I want to see my PJ project onto this screen so badly it hurts. 600£ is a lot of money and if you asked me last week whether it would be worth spending this much on a screen I would have laughed at you.

Now... the laughter is gone.

4. Gorm

Gorm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Guess we will have to get our post counts up then =)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on picking a screen. Unfortunately the wife will not allow having a fixed screen in the living room, no matter the colour.

But I must say the Lissau "True colour" looks down right awesome albeit a bit pricy, it gets even worse with the motorized version... Yieks.

Think im stuck on finding a high contrast motorized tabtensioned screen at a resonable price... not an easy task.

5. Projectorhead

Projectorhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi folks!

This is one of those 'what would you do' posts.

Now that I've had about 8-10 hours on my 3200 now, they're a couple of things which are slightly bugging me, and I'm not sure whether to live with them - knowing these things can bug even more over time - or to ask Projector Point for a replacement which they said they'd provide me with if there was any problem back when I first placed my order.

Basically there is the slight convergence issue which I have documented earlier in this thread. It's not noticeable very often when watching a film, but it is there. Most noticeable on any black edges framed by white light. More noticeable on txt on end credits. However I did notice it now and again on a black & white DVD, and a bluray earlier this evening. It's just an extremely thin (probably a pixel width at most) red fringe to the left of an object (i.e. letters on bluray end credits, or on a BD menu), and a slight green tint to the right. Sounds worse than it is, but it is most definitely there. Of course one watches a film at a distance of a few meters from the screen, not right up close!

The second issue is that the sharpness is definately not as good on the right hand side of the screen. I can get it absolutely razor sharp on menu txt on the left of the screen, but it tails off towards the right. I have experiemented with lens shift to see if that alters it, and have made sure the projector is spot on straight with the screen. It is. On moving film I have to say it's not really noticeable, but anything ultra-sharp like a 1080p PS3 game or menu txt I am aware of it.

Now these quirks or not major by any means, but then again £1000 is a LOT of money (for me at least) and I was just curious what others think. Return it or live with it?

Thanks,

- John

6. Talgo

Talgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Return it ... you will never be happy

BTW mine has neither of these issues

Tal

7. Projectorhead

Projectorhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    You're right - I have emailed them. They did say they'd replace it if I had any issues.

Fingers crossed :rolleyes:

Good to know that yours has no issues - I must have got a rogue unit. I did notice the box had a couple of dents/holes so perhaps it got knocked when being delivered.

- John

8. Talgo

Talgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Hope it works out for you John, I am sure it will be resolved.

I watched the karate kid (new one) last night on the tweeked settings (cinema, brightness -3, contrast +2, gamma 2.3, auto iris normal, epson super white on, Eco) and it was very impressive.

Has anybody had a play with any other settings or used a calibration blu ray ?

Hopfully this week I will get the plastering done so I can mount the projector on the ceiling, then I can start looking at screen bordering and light reflection control.

Tal

9. Bjur

Bjur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

@Gorm: You can look on one of the earlier pages, there's a link to the motorized I bought for reference. I haven't used it yet though.

10. Gorm

Gorm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Be sure to let us know how you like the screen =)

11. Gorm

Gorm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    According to their website they do not deliver to Denmark or am I mistaken?

12. Jmog

Jmog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Is it the one with the German Ebay auction?

"Versand nach: Europa" :)

13. Gorm

Gorm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  14. Bjur

Bjur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  15. Projectorhead

Projectorhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thankfully Projector Point are going to replace my 3200 - whew! They said regarding convergence issues, up to 2 pixels either side of the edge in question is deemed normal by manufacturers, so I guess mine was fine there. However the sharpness should be 100% & uniform across the entire screen, and as mine isn't they'll replace it for me.

Have to say the level of customer service from Projector Point really is absolutely second to none, and special thanks to Murray :thumbsup:. If only all companies were this concerned with customer satisfaction!

I hope version 2 is fine and no knocks from the courier this time.

- John

16. Duke

Duke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    WOO! and indeed HOO!

Just pulled the trigger about 20 minutes ago and now I can't wait 'til Thursday for my 3200 to arrive. Funds cleared earlier today but I was up in London on a job and I had no way of ordering. I couldn't get home quick enough.

But now I've got two VERY long days to decide which from my (limited) collection of Blu-Rays to test it out with - hmmmmm.:confused:

I can't wait:clap:

17. Talgo

Talgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Good news Duke it will be worth the wait !!

18. ezechiel1917

ezechiel1917

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I've received my 3200 yesterday and so far I'm really happy with it. It's my first projector, as I got tired upgrading my LCD tv almost every year because it always felt small after some time.

I really like Epson's colors, in Cinema mode it's much better than any lcd/plasma I've seen. Gradations are perfect. I was little bit worried about black level, but it's not bad. Ofc it won't match my LCD with local dimming, but I can easily ignore that when overall picture feels more alive and better. I love motion resolution, I'm used to lower response time from my previous LCDs, but I can hardly find any on Epson. During gaming (60Hz) it's really smooth, no need for any useless motion interpolation like current LCD/plasmas, almost feels like good old CRT. I really like good lens shift options.

Also this thing is huge, I knew the dimensions before and I've seen the photos before I got it, but it's still pretty big. To be honest I was expecting little better sharpness and 1080p detail , but I'm starting to love it, finding new details in image here and there, so details are there, it's just picture will feel always sharper on smaller display. I'm currently projecting 120" picture to white wall, and it seems I won't be needing any special screen. It's good enough as it is now. Maybe screen would help with perceived sharpness but if I've bought screen I'd like motorized one, and I'm afraid it will develop unevenness after some time of usage.

I was expecting the unit to be less noisy, you can still hear the fan during silent parts of movie (and I hate any noise, hum etc.) but it's tolerable and much better than any DLP projector I've tested before. That is for ECO mode, normal mode fan noise is much more annoying, fortunately I won't be using that.

To sum it up, for the current price and expected 4000h+ lifetime of bulb it's pretty much must have for anyone considering a purchase in this price range.

PS: No red glows or any other noticable flaws in image so far, I'll continue checking for it.

PS2: How often is updated lamp time? Mine is still showing 0H after few hours of usage.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  19. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,936
    I think the lamp counter starts at 10hr,nice projector stunning value for the money.:)

20. Merlins

Merlins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Have to say this has been some interesting reading especially I was in this position earlier in the year after getting a DLP then finding issues so swapping for the 3500.

Have to say still love that projector and this sounds also just as good.

Funny though that there are the same comments posted here as there were with the 3500 at one point (see the thread for the projector to see the conclusions) so sounds like normal behaviour to me.

Have to say I did notice it a little with the pixels etc but only on extreme lens shift.

But have to say once your immersed into a film you would not notice anything and its better to just enjoy the image then to try and find faults.. :thumbsup:

21. jsebright

jsebright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mine (3200) turned up yesterday, so down with the old (yamaha lpx500) and up with the new. I thought the old one was big, but this really is a monster. Fortunately I was able to reuse the mount (some "universal" thing from CPC) without problem, although trying to hold it up with one hand whilst securing it into place with the other was challenging.
    Was struck by the improved definition and contrast. Popped on the bluray of Avatar and was really impressed with the detail and colour (eco + cinema - didn't have time to mess with much more). Wife insisted on watching some tv programme on BBC1hd which looked upscaled to me (Edwardian style shops in Shepton Mallet) - would probably not have noticed this on previous PJ. Also, it is quieter in eco mode, but still pretty noisy in standard - that's OK as it's plenty bright enough.
    Really pleased so far. Hopefully no problems, but good to know that others have had good experience with projectorpoint in case. Looking forward to a few years of enjoyment from this new beastie. :)

22. anth.payne

anth.payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    This may be an inteesting read for you all:

www.home cinema central.com.au/reviews/reviews_epson_TW_3600-vs-TW3200.html#butt

23. Duke

Duke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Cheers Talgo, I'm absolutely convinced it will be worth the wait. Come on the weekend - non stop movie action I do believe:clap:

24. Merlins

Merlins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Wow thats what I call a write up...

Now not feeling so bad missing out on the new 36xx series..

Seems its all the same and the contrast differences would make no difference in
    my normal room conditions with light walls etc..

Looks like the 3200 is the one to get and at that price its a bargin.

25. pmiller056

pmiller056
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had my 3200 for about a week now. Stunning picture quality compared to what I had before with 'out of the box' settings. Very quiet fan, particularly in eco mode - ideal for later viewing with the kids in bed because I don't have to turn the sound up to compete with the fan noise. Works well with 10m of HDMI cable to a Panasonic upscaling DVD player. Don't have Bluray yet - probably will come once I've paid off the projector. Now noticing lots of picture detail on standard DVD I've never seen before.

Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with HDMI splitters or distribution boxes? I have a 'Pair and Go' 4 way splitter which works well with the Epson projector, but my Panasonic A/V amplifier refuses to work with. All permutations of cables and other equipment have been tried and Panasonic won't talk to Pair & Go. Sigh.

Cheers

Peter

26. Mark153

Mark153

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Disappointly I've encountered a red tinge in the bottom left of the image on my 3200. At first I thought it was just the film, but B&W scenes and still images all show the same slight redish tint in the lower left quadrant. Its not as extreme as the effect highlighted in the old thread here, but its enough to be a distraction :mad:

To ascertain it isn't just me seeing things I have tried projecting onto a magnolia wall, flipping the projection to rear mode, altering the lens shift to default (lucky I have a portable screen!), connecting via different cables, and even moving things to a different room - but its always apparent in the same place... so it must be the unit :(

Thankfully ProjectorPoint have been very good about it and are rushing out a replacement tomorrow. Fingers firmly crossed it will be second time lucky, as I just can't warrant this kind of spend on something I won't be 100% satisfied with.

Yes, I do: I ordered one of these from HDCable earlier in the week, and it works beautifully. I am feeding 4x HDMI video devices into it (BDP, HD-DVD, V+ box, HTPC) and obviously outputting these two ways to either my plasma or the PJ. Sadly though the matrix is being returned for a replacement too as the included IR remote didn't work :(

(...not a good week so far!)

27. Projectorhead

Projectorhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry to hear you've had problems with the 3200 too. I had slight convergence issues plus a slight loss of focus on the right hand side of the screen. Likewise Projector Point have a replacement off to me tomorrow - 5 star customer service :smashin:

Hope your new unit is problem free.

- John

28. Duke

Duke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I'll keep it brief.

1. Thank you Projector Point. Delivered on time and in good nick. Thanks Chris.

2. Hurriedly got the 3200 set to play a film and found the coffee table too close to the screen. Spent the first hour swapping it out with my old PJ on the ceiling. PAIN.

3. Not sure what I have to tweek, but wasn't left speechless with the image. Much better detail and contrast (and brightness) but colours aren't WOW compared to my old Panny- I guess I was expecting too much. Have tried eco and cinema settings (which I will stick with) but have yet to muck about with colour, contrast, temp etc. Still an improvement mind, but bright scenes (eg daylight) don't seem to have the depth. This may be down to the fact that strong light (daylight scenes) actually does bleach colours slightly. Just thinking about old holiday snaps on bright days/direct sunlight.

4. Under one of the menu options it lists 480p as the image but I know full well it has loads more detail. Tried switching from component to HDMI and it still says 480p. What gives? Am I getting genuine 1080p. Seems like it, but this has me puzzled.

5. Did anybody else try it with component first and find it defaulting to 4:3 aspect? Haven't had the same problem with HDMI.

Other than that I'm happy, I'll run some more Blu's through it on Friday and Saturday and see if I can get used to it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  29. gurney

gurney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That will be the resolution that your source device is sending it. I had the same 'issue' with my Xtreamer which was set to 720 from last projector. Switch it to 1080p and - voila!

30. Jmog

Jmog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Haven't tried component but isn't what you describe normal? Scart and HDMI singals contain a control signal that tells the display "this is wide screen" so it can automatically put the image in wide mode. I don't think component has the control signal ability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.