1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson TW3200/3600 owners thread

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kbfern, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmog

Jmog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    And now it's time for animation :). Nothing makes you happier about the colours your TW3200 can reproduce than putting a movie with animation in your player. It looks gorgeous.

DVD. The Road To Eldorado. What's not to like here - watching animation in this size really lets you appreciate the fine details the animators put in. And the colours of this particular movie are rich and varied.
    [​IMG]

BD. Surf's Up. We go from hand drawn animation to the 3D CGI of this rather entertaining flick. The colurs here are almost post card material.
    [​IMG]

DVD. Akira. This movie has quite good colours considering its age (1988). Pioneer really made a good transfer of this when they released the DVD:
    [​IMG]

More Akira - this time a closeup. I have no BD calibration discs so I tried playing around with the THX Optimizer on the Akira disc. I ended up going back to Epson's default settings for Cinema mode since I couldn't get a result that made me happier:
    [​IMG]

DVD. The Lion King. It's the ciiiiiiircle of coooolouuuuuurs ;-)
    [​IMG]

DVD. Valhalla. This Danish animated film actually has a transfer which is quite bad, but I thought this scene to be the exception and a good example of good colours.
    [​IMG]

BD. Paprika. This animated movie from Japan has some striking colours to begin with. Having it on BD and projecting it onto an 120" image really accentuates that. The reds and the blues really come to life. It looks mind boglingly good:
    [​IMG]

More Paprika. No, it's not a poster - it's just a scene from the film projected onto a wall. can't wait to see it on a proper canvas where it will look even better.
    [​IMG]

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,936
    It is strange that when looking at one setting for a few hours how accustomed your eyes and brain become to the image.

So much so that when you switch to another setting you initially think how much worse it looks.Until you give the new setting a chance for 20-30 mins then switch back again and suddenly realise how poor the first settings were.:D

I found that the theatre black settings (cinema setting on the 3200) on the TW3500 were definitely the best settings for my room as similar results were obtained to your findings JMog.:)

3. Jmog

Jmog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    You're absolutely right :). It's a mistake to completely disregard a setting the first time you see it no matter what you think it looks like.

If the default setting was Dynamic I would probably have liked that and when chainging to one of the others complained about their lack of colour.

4. Bjur

Bjur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  5. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,936
    I was at my cousins house a few months ago and he switched his tv on (42" panny plasma) and I said Ugh!! how can you watch that.

The colours knocked your eyes out they were so garish.I said how long have you been watching it like that for, he said since we had it 6 months ago.I quickly checked the settings they were in dynamic so immediately tweaked to a more suitable colour gamut and asked him what he thought.

At first he did not like it but I said live with it for an hour or so.An hour later we switched back and he was aghast at what he saw with it in Dynamic mode and said please switch back to my settings.:D

6. Jmog

Jmog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Hi Bjur

No problem, It will be my pleasure to demo the TW3200 for you :).

I haven't decided exactly on which screen to get yet. You see, I have a friend of a friend who works in a company that sells hometheater screens. He "might" be able to hook me up with something for a very low price, but he won't know for sure what or even if it's possible until late next week. That's too good an opportunity to pass up so I don't dare buy anything until I've heard from him. The wait is killing me though since I REALLY am aching for a dedicated screen. This projector is so good that all the drawbacks of using a painted wall are painfully visible.

If he can't deliver then I was thinking of maybe this one:
    Komplett.dk - Elite Screens 16:9 lerret 221x125cm

Yours doesn't sound bad. I especially like that it comes with a popcorn maker :-D

My sources for feeding the projector with movies are a Denon DVD-1930 DVD player and a PS3 for Blu-rays.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  7. Jmog

Jmog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Oh my sweet heavens!

I just discovered that my painted screen isn't really 120". When I made it 4+5 years ago I just turned on the pj, maximized the zoom to the size I thought looked good and started painting. I only measured exactly how big it was once.

Turns out that I made the stupidest mistake you could imagine. Yes, you guessed it: I included the black frame.

So it turns out my image is really around 105". Boy am I glad I discovered this before buying a 115" screen! It would have been a waste of money. Now I know it's definetely a 100" screen I am going for.

But this is actually kind of fortunate. A 100" screen is cheaper, so I might be able to afford one of better quality than I would have gotten with the same budget at 115".

8. Bjur

Bjur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Okay how big is the room and how far do you sit from the screen?

9. Jmog

Jmog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I sit about 4m from the screen (3,64m from lens to screen). The room is probably 4m x 6m i would think.

The pj would let me go up to 122" from that distance but my tv is in the way. As you can probably see from the pictures of my setup (page 2 in this thread) the TV's top is alligned with the screen's bottom.

10. jsebright

jsebright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have been following this thread (& previous one) for some time now, and have just placed an order with projectorpoint. Upgrading from a 720p Yamaha LPX500 - nice projector, but quite a few generations back from the epson. Really looking forward to the extra detail and (hopefully) a bit less fan noise - so I can keep the volume down 'til the kids are asleep and still hear the dialogue.

11. anth.payne

anth.payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Quick question... I'm looking to buy a TW3200, and just wondering how close you'd beable mount the projector against a wall to allow enough space for the HDMI and power cable?

Space is pretty tight, and I know these units are 14" deep alone

Thanks, Anthony

12. Jmog

Jmog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Too much time browsing for screens and reading articles has resulted in my threshold for how much I want to spend... doubling. Also I am no longer considering rolling screens but fixed frame screens (the wall will not be used for anything else).

If my friend-of-a-friend can't make me a sweet deal then I will go for one of these three:

Lissau Plano Frame 16:9 Widescreen Fast-ramme Lærreder - Gray flex dug, gain 0.8, AV-Connection A/S

Lissau LS Frame 16:9 Widescreen Fast-ramme Lærreder - Kontrast grå flex dug, gain 0.8, AV-Connection A/S

Projecta HomeScreen Deluxe 16:9 Fast-ramme lærred - Høj kontrast Cinema Vision dug, gain 1.1, AV-Connection A/S

13. Jmog

Jmog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Pretty much depends on how thick/flexible your HDMI cable is. If it's very thin then bending it should not be so hard. Mine is quite thick so I need at least two inches.

The power connector is a standard type - the same kind your computer uses. I know you can get these in a variant where it bends 90 degrees from the socket. Something like this:
    Googles billedresultat for http://media.digikey.com/photos/Assmann%20Photos/AK%20500%5EU-1.jpg

14. anth.payne

anth.payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    2" should be fine for me...

I'm planning on getting a good quality HDMI cable

I just need to ensure that I can get atleast a 10ft throw for a 100" screen

The room is 12'4" wide, but I also need to allow for the width of the TV/mount

15. Gorm

Gorm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Where do ya live in Denmark Jmog?

16. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,936
    I think it's wonderful wonderful .................

17. Jmog

Jmog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Copenhagen.

18. Projectorhead

Projectorhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Still enjoying my 3200, but of course now the Honeymoon period is a few days in the past starting to nit-pick a little!

Was wondering what the general conscensus is on acceptable convergence? I've noticed that on the ultra-sharp HD txt on bluray menus, one can see a VERY slight red fringing on sharp edges. To put it into some perspective, this is from looking at a 100" screen with my face less than a couple cm away from the screen! At the most this fringe area is probably a pixel or so in width, and an HD pixel at that. Seems to be slightly better on the left of the screen (the fringe is more noticeable on the extreme right).

Is that acceptable and normal, or should it be absolutely dead-on perfect? Oddly I also occasionally notice it on black & white material, but I guess that's because I am looking for it now?

Have also noticed that when using lens shift the image can wander around a little i.e when using up and down, it can move left & right slightly too. Not a big deal. I also tried using extreme levels of lenshift as an experiment and noticed some colouring in the corners, so I think that explains that symptom - just stick to reasonable use of lens shift and all should be OK :)

Still happy with it though - 2001: A Space Odyssey looks absolutely amazing!!! Felt like I was in space it looked so sharp and vivid! (and no I wasn't smoking anything :p )

- John

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  19. Gorm

Gorm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thats far far away =)

Any chance I can reach you via email or PM?

20. Jonathan S

Jonathan S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Is that from a normal viewing distance (on b&w)? And the same for b&w DVDs? That would be a disaster for me!

21. Talgo

Talgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Had a play with settings at the weekend after watching Avatar (stunning), then The last Air bender in 2.35:1 I am trying to get better blacks (the holy grail) as I think even in a totally dark room the black looks grey.. (its not the best paint scheme with magonlia walls and white ceiling and only projecting on to a white ikea black out blind) anyway I got better black by setting Cimena mode to -4 brightness switching on auto iris and epson super white. I think Eco looks better than normal as its not as bright .. I think that may be the problem the things so bright its lighting the screen up even on total black.

I am still 'over the moon' with it don't get me wrong and I don't want to spend hundreds on a screen because I don't think it will make much difference. I might try to rig up some black felt above and below the screen to see if this helps.

I also tried sky HD on it that was very nice but Jamie Olivers big fat head in HD on a 90" screen is very scary !!

Tal

Edited to say I set gamma to 2.4 also

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  22. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,936
    Black felt above and below and in addition if you can manage the sides will definitely make a difference.

The fact you have mag walls is as you realise not helping the contrast levels at all.

Also as you point out it is a super bright pj and really you should always use in eco unless you are viewing in daylight conditions in a room that you don't have good light control.

23. Projectorhead

Projectorhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    When noticing it on black & white material yes it was from DVD, but - to be fair - it might well be due to the edge enhancement of that format rather than any convergence issues. It's very very faint and hardly noticeable but once I'd seen the red fringing when I happend to be extremely close to the screen I think I was looking out for it being something of a perfectionist.

I'll have to try it with a black & white bluray (I have Psycho which should do it) to see for sure if it's noticeable at normal viewing distances.

I definately have a little red fringe on letters when viewing HD txt on screen however. Have done a little more reading and this seems to be fairly normal for LCD projectors however - seems to be only the most expensive which are spot-on perfect with convergence. As it isn't noticeable on films (still have to try a black and white bluray though) I think I'll just try and forget I noticed it ;)

- John

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  24. Bjur

Bjur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    @Jmog: have sent you a PM:)

25. Gorm

Gorm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm I couldnt send him a PM .. odd

26. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,936
    Pm's are locked for new members until a certain count is reached.

You can pm a mod and ask for your pm function to be enabled(I think pm's work to mods even when a new member).

If it doesn't work ask on the thread by clicking the little triangular button to alert a mod.:)

27. Mark153

Mark153

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I took delivery of my 3200 on Friday afternoon. I'm using an old portable 16:9 screen (80") and sit approximately 2.2m back from it, so we're right on the cusp of maximum zoom.

The first BD spun was Baraka and immediately I knew I'd made the right decision - no artefacts, no visible line structure, no chicken-wire effects, but a truly breathtaking image worthy of the term "home cinema". I suppose it was inevitable that I would be bowled over coming from an Epson TW10H and a 720p LG plasma... but I just hadn't conceived the kind of punch and clarity the 3200 can deliver. And this was before I had shut the curtains :) It really is whisper quiet too. No different than sitting in the back of a real cinema and hearing a feint projector noise quite honestly.

With the room as dark as it gets (white ceiling and peach walls don't help), I set about running through the Spears & Munsil calibration BD. Broadly speaking I arrived at the same kind of settings as others have mentioned: Cinema Mode, -5 Brightness, +2 Contrast, ECO on, auto-iris off, 2.2 gamma etc. I still think some fine tuning is required, but inevitably I've been too busy spinning discs and cooing over the sheer quality of it all.

Even SD material has been impressive. For larks I popped on the PAL DVD of Robocop, as its a fairly weak transfer (lots of MPEG artefacting etc). What a pleasant surprise! If this is how good a weak DVD transfer looks, then maybe my SD collection has some life left in it yet. I even tried a couple of XviD rips, and once again, while you cannot refute its a digital-looking (and highly compressed) source, there is still a "wow" factor that I genuinely didn't expect to get on anything other than HD content.

I only have one minor niggle so far, and that's moire patterns. Take the climatic battle in Transformers as an example. There's a lot of bright backgrounds and glare throughout, and when projected to the screen you can see a feint line pattern structure if things are particularly bright. Shift the image up onto the wall (or a piece of white paper) and everything's fine. Image settings in the PJ don't help, but moving the focus ever-so-slightly seems to eliminate it. Evidently the material structure of my screen isn't 1080p-friendly, which is a relief in that its not a faulty unit but it's also highly frustrating, as I don't really have the budget to do a new portable screen as well :(

28. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,936
    We had the same problem with moire a few months ago when another member had the same issue with his TW3500.

The only solution I am afraid is change the screen if you can't put up with the artifact.

29. Gorm

Gorm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I can send PMs... just not to Jmog =)

30. Bjur

Bjur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: