Epson TW3200/3600 owners thread - Part 3

With the exception of this issue and some dust blobs mine is still working ok, but I'm suffering from a severe case of change-itis :D

The main problem I have is that my budget is about £1k, and for that money there just isn't an awful lot of choice. DLP is not an option because of rainbows and I know that models like the 5300 would seem a bit flimsy compared to what I have.

I did consider a 6100 but didn't know whether it would just be a move sideways rather than up.

Not sure what that will do in the long run when it doesn't run the cool down sequence.
I see in your not too distant future... a new lamp purchase.
I don't know exactly how this PJ behaves, but you might find it better to enable the standby mode (which supposedly turns the lamp off after 30 mins or so), and let it put itself into standby, and then kill the power.

I see in your not too distant future... a new lamp purchase.
I don't know exactly how this PJ behaves, but you might find it better to enable the standby mode (which supposedly turns the lamp off after 30 mins or so), and let it put itself into standby, and then kill the power.

Hehe, yeh I've done that too, 5 mins, so it's nice to just walk away from the pj. :)

Just thought I'd pop in here to say what a cracking pj this still is. I just fired it up and double checked all was working fine before the sale tomorrow and I'm still blown away by the image this produces. For the money you can get these secondhand for, they are an absolute bargain. Hope the new owner enjoys it as much as I have.

Hi all - would really appreciate some help.
I have a TW3600 which stopped working last night.

It turns on, but no light comes out the lens. When you turn it on, the two warning lights do not light up but the fan comes on.

Around 30 seconds later, the lamp warning light starts flashing red.

Does this sound like a simple case of needing a replacement bulb? Does anyone know if this one will do the trick? I'm finding it difficult to tell whether the TW3200 and TW3600 take different bulbs - the part number seems to be the same?
Epson EH-TW3200 Projector Lamp with Housing by: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Thanks so much in advance

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Any ideas what is wrong with the image from my tw3600?! Blobs come into focus, more noticeable in bright/light colours. I've changed the lamp which made no difference. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 180
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 180
crikey that is bad, surely manufacturers should fix dust blobs free as its a build fault.

Update from me. Upon reviewing the cost options for a repair, that wouldnt offer a real guarantee beyond 6 months I left the PJ alone for a while.

Upon reflection I decided new would be the only way so replaced it yesterday with a TW6600. A fair bit of cash but around 5 to 600 more than a repair. What is different is the image quality is a lot better in my setup. My room is no longer a bat cave but painted magnolia, the image is as bright now as the old PJ in the dark. I just wired in and tested now, shutters closed but still some ambient light and the image is stunning. The downside is the fan is a lot more noticable but not intrusive, the other issue is I used to have the 3200 at 7 meters from the screen, the new model has a bigger throw so has to be around 4 meters from the screen, an excuse to ceiling mount.

So there we go, no longer got the 3200, now got a 6600 and its feeling like it was a good excuse to upgrade. Bought from Richer Sounds so took out the additional 6 year warranty this time!

Hi all, my tw3600 is out of action and I need some advice what step to take next. It had the 3500 which was replaced once after bulbs were only lasting 700 hours. The replacement unit was the same.
It was replaced with the 3600 and I would get maybe 1400 from that and all was fine until a new bulb popped after maybe 30 hours.
Both warning lights came on. A new bulb still had the warning lights and no picture.
The fan was working at the back.
I took it apart as there was a bit of dust inside the lens anyway.
There I took out the glass that has dust on it and cleaned it. Then I noticed theres a prismatic glass lens near the bulb.
It is glued in and has a crack across it. I dont know how long it was there. I have it about 5 years now so could be fresh or old.
I think the bulb overheated and caused it
Any I sent it for repair and I have the following options.
Buy the first 3 cheapest parts on the check list and have them replaced costing approx 150 quid
but keep replacing parts up to 1000 untill they find it.
Then after that it still may have an issue with the crack,.
Or buy a refurbed same model on ebay for 800 with 12month warranty and use mine for spare parts
Or buy a better next few steps up model. But I have very little to spend.
If it was costing around 1500 I think I would rather by a samsung 65inch tv for the same price as its annoyed me know with bulbs and replacements and then just goes after no more than 4000 hours use in those yearss
Any advice, on parts or new model to go for?
Wanted something sorted before the Euros start
Cheers
Steve

Richer Sounds have the TW 6600 listed at £1099, available instore. You could probably get it for closer to £1000 with a bit of haggling, £200 more than your current budget but at least it would be brand new and with a decent warranty.

By all accounts the 6600 is a very decent piece of kit.

Hi all, just picked up a TW-3200 virtually unused since new with very low hours on the lamp. All works fine apart from on the left hand side of the image there is some colour error. It's a thin vertical light green hue right on the very left edge of the image. Not that noticeable on a moving picture but on static solid colour images it is quite pronounced. Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be?

My EH-TW3200 is a few months out of warranty and has just stopped working completely. On power up it makes some whirring and clicking noises, then the fan kicks in at high speed, both LEDs flash red - game over. Before I return to Epson for expensive out of warranty repair/replacement has anyone encountered (and fixed??) the same fault??

Out of warranty or not. l would explain to the good people at Epson that you had paid a lot of money for this projector and it is Not fit for purpose and you expect them to sort the problem out free of charge.
l have just noticed how old this post is... Hope you got the problem sorted...

Last edited:
Here is the pic of my problem - you can clearly see the green tinge down the left hand side. The projector is a few years old but virtually unused. Do you think this could simply be dust down one side of the optics or LCD panels?

Epson TW-3200 green tinge.jpg

My 3200 has developed an intermittent fault where the picture goes brighter and then back to normal, all in the space of a secon. It does this for about 30 seconds and then stops, but this will happens up to three times an hour.

I thought it might be source related but it happens with both hdmi inputs and even after I've unplugged/swooped out cables.

It might be the final push I need to replace it, but I don't want to sell it on for anything other than parts with this going on.

Any thoughts or opinions please.

Does it happen in 'Dynamic' mode, with full bulb (non eco)?

I think running it like that for a while 'fixed' mine, when I had the same issue.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try.

Out of interest, how long did you run it in Dynamic mode ?

I think for an hour or so.
I think I read that idea on here as a fix for 'flickering', but what I had sounds more like your description.

My 3200 has developed an intermittent fault where the picture goes brighter and then back to normal, all in the space of a secon. It does this for about 30 seconds and then stops, but this will happens up to three times an hour.

Sounds suspiciously like the air filter needs cleaning, I have a TW9000 that does this sometimes if I've forgotten to clean the filter out. I try and clean mine once every 100 hours or so.

Running it on high will solve it temporarily but get the vacuum out and give the filter a once over.

Pretty sure I cleaned the filter not that long ago, but hoovered it again and have just "enjoyed" the delights of Judge Rinder in his full day-glo splendour :D

Hoping to get a chance to watch something later with my saved settings and will report back.

So, one of the three dust blobs in my 3200 has now developed a distinctly red hue and is started to appear on screen images, as opposed to just when there's a blank screen.

Having resigned myself to using thevunit until it stops working altogether, or at least until a decent deal for a replacement turns up I'm just curious as to what else the red blob might indicate is going wrong.

Any ideas folks ?

Hi Mikemag... Any chance you could take a photo of this problem ???

I'll have a go. It's basically a red dust blob instead of the usual grey ones.

Right, had a go at taking a photo but the downside of having near batcave conditions and a rubbish iPad camera is that the image didn't really come out.

Another slightly depressing fact is that when I deliberately defocused the image to try and get a better shot I counted six other blobs beside the red one :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom