1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

epson tw10h OR toshiba ET1?????

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by neilly boy, Jun 2, 2005.

1. neilly boy

neilly boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

really fancy buying my first projector, but want to make a decision in the next couple of days.

I have it down to two choices after exhaustive research and reading....
    EPSON TW10H £550
    TOSHIBA TLP- ET1 £399

Both have pros and cons from what i can see but i would appreciate some help in making my mind up.

Cheers

2. systemsdead

systemsdead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,539
  3. systemsdead

systemsdead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,539
    nice about blackout blind ive looked on ikea site but cant find any, what size and colour is at as well show us the way dude.any chance of a pic off what it looks like

4. neilly boy

neilly boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, any pictures gratefully received of both PJs in action.

5. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    went for Epson TW10H as well, fairly cheap replacement lamp (£150 ish), IKEA 160cm blackout blind, XBox with softmod, AV receiver with THX (2nd hand from these forums, 5.1 surround speakers. Bl**dy brilliant.
    Will try and post some pics tomorrow.

6. neilly boy

neilly boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my research it would seem that the toshiba has a smoother look on Freeview pictures due to the built in de-interlacer but I can't help feeling the lumens output could be too dark compared to the epson.
    I actually like the look of the Toshiba but don't want to be disapointed when I plug it in.....so come on you ET1 owners out there - convince me at £399 I should go for this instead of the epson TW10h.

7. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Epson hands down bud no match I demo'ed both and the epson is leaps ahead but I ended up getting a benq5120 cause it was better than both and a bit more suited to my room also had better blacks.
    May be worth a look

Darko

8. SJGIL

SJGIL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Neilly Boy,

I have had the ET1 one now for a couple of months and am very pleased with it. I posted some pics of the PJ in action in the FAO Toshiba ET1 Owners thread. Check them out for yourself. I couldn't demo the ET1 anywhere locally but as it was so cheap I took a risk and do not regret it one bit.

You do need to have the room in complete darkness for it to work at its best.

Which ever one you go with I am sure you will be happy with it.

SJGIL

9. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another happy ET1 owner here. If you want budget I got my ET1, a multi region Pio 575 DVD and an Epson screen plus component cables. Less than 550 quid.

The Epson will be easier to position (joy of a zoom lens). If you plan a permament instalation the ET1 has both component and scart sockets. The Epson takes scart RGB through its component so if you want DVD and freeview/sky wired up at the same time you'll need extra equipment for it.

At less than 400 quid the ET1 is excellent value, you have to decide if you can spend the extra 150 and if so will you spend if on the Epson or on something else (150 buys you some basic surround sound if you don't have any).

The Epson will be brighter than the ET1 but if you watch in darkness (as I do), the ET1 is still bright enough that you'll be using low power mode.

However, irrespective of how much I like my ET1 (and I do) Darko seems to be the only person thats seen both and prefers the Epson, although it'd be nice to know whats better and if it justifies the extra cost.

10. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
  11. neilly boy

neilly boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all thanks for your feedback, what I forgot to mention was that I am hoping to use the projector that I buy for parties and discos and weddings to either project some cool lava lamp style shapes or actual video footage - does this throw a different light on which budget projector I should go for???? I very nearly bought the tosh et1 tonight but the guy in the shop could not assure me that the bulb was guaranteed for 90 days!!! Something inside is telling me to go for the epson TW10h but my wallet is telling me to go for the toshiba......I believe the picture is smoother on tosh because of de-interlacer chip and that the epson is prone to "jaggies" on analogue material.....please help!!!

12. neilly boy

neilly boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In addition to what I have written above... what I am saying is that i am concerned when people state that the toshiba et1 is fine but only in complete darkness. I think i need a budget projector that can cope with some ambient light.....Am i answering my own question here????!!!!!!!

13. tonyjones

tonyjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a satisfied ET1 owner :) and my advice is if you buy one don't pay £399, I paid £382 online

Tony

14. marker

marker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Epson owner here m8, pio 575a hooked up via component, PS enabled, absolutely fantatsic pic on my Beamax screen, visible image of about 92" diagnol from about 11', veryt slight chicken wire effect, don't even notice after the first couple of mins.. Sky hooked up via S-Video, again excellent picture if slighly softer than the pio, expected though... Gamecube, specially bought for Res Evil 4 hooked up via composite, again brilliant pic for the size i'm throwing, i was going to spend around 1g on a PJ, very glad tthat i bought my TW10H now... First ever PJ so my expectations might be lower than some others, but all i can say is for £550 from ebuyer,, WOW!!!!!!

15. neilly boy

neilly boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks marker - its comments like that, that make me realise that if i search my feelings (in a luke skywalker way ) that it is my destiny to own an epson tw10h.

Marker, in your humble opinion, is the epson the one to use for indoor and outdoor parties, discos etc etc....????

16. stevieboywonder

stevieboywonder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can recommend the ET1 at £320 from www.oyyy.co.uk you can't go wrong

17. marker

marker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now i'm blushing :blush:

The epson has four display settings, dynamic, living room, theatre and black theatre.. The dynamic and living room settings let me use it with a lot of ambient light in my room, by that i mean the blinds are open full and i can still see my picture more than enough to watch, only lose it when the sun screams in through the blinds... The two theatre settings are best when its it a darkened room, lowers the output of the light and lowers the fan speed. It also gives you more of a black than the other two settings...

For me £550 is a steal for a PJ of this Q, you really have to think hard about what time of day you will use it, and if its outdoor in the daytime forget it, someone else here can tell you what PJ to use there, prob if you have about 20G to spend...

All i can say is that 4 of my mates now have one after seeing mine in action...

BTW
    Got my screen from www.beamaxed.co.uk for £99 from the end of line stock.. 1 gain 222cm wide by 122 high, manual pull down....

Good luck m8..

18. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think so, the Epson is brighter and the zoom lens will make placement easier. However, depending how much light you expect you may find even the epson is not bright enough. I think this is deffinately a time when you should demo your PJ, or get it on approval so you can try it in the conditions you want it to work in. You may also find that data pj's are brighter.

19. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the Epson and I think its excellent value and quality for the money.

It is designed as a cinema projector, hence the 16:9 panel. Ideally with limited ambient light, but there is a living room setting which works OK during daylight, but is far from perfect.

When you say outdoors I assume you mean at night, as I don't think you'd have much chance in daylight.

If you are just using it for discos for lava lamp images etc, have you considered an office type projector. These can be found with much brighter bulbs as they are designed for daylight office use rather than for home cinema use. I know little about these though.