1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson TW10H...i've finally done it

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tonyow, May 16, 2005.

1. tonyow

tonyow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well as header after reading this forum for a loooong time i've ordered my tw10 today :clap: first of all i'd like to thank the posters for convincing me that a projector was the way to go....i'm also considering buying a new dvd palyer the pioneer 575 which seems to be highly thought of,i'd like to justify this to the missus though,how much better than my scan sc2000 & pacific dvd players would this be ? although i've read most of the posts about this projector i'm still a bit confused about the best way to connect it for optimum performance (i'm thick i know) composite,scart s-video i'm a bit lost :rolleyes: it will be connected to the dvd player & an xbox could anyone recommend the best way & a good source for cables etc please.
    For a screen i'm going to use the ikea blind (for the time being at least) the projector will be on a shelf & will be 3 metres from the screen,the seating position will be directly below the projector...what sort of picture size / quality should i get ? sound will be using my old stereo amp & speakers the amp is a pioneer a119 & the speakers are Tannoy 603's i think (they've been in the attic for a while).
    I know some of these questions are pretty basic but this is my first projector & although i've done a lot of reading i'm still a bit confused with some aspects ot the home theatre "game".

Any help would be much appreciated guys.

Thanks in advance.

2. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Sounds pretty much exactly what my setup is going to be like. I haven't got everything I need just yet, but did a trial run hooking up temporarily. I'm limited on screen width due to furniture, but i got 55 inches wide from 3.2 metres no problem, and could go bigger. Was using an Xbox connected to the component connectors using an XBox Advanced AV connecor ( component + Audio L&R) but have just got a High Definition connector which i haven't tried yet. I have an IKEA blind which i haven't tried yet either.
    Picture quality was great just projecting onto a large sheet of white paper from our drawing printer from work, can't wait to get it set up properly and try it on the IKEA blind.

3. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 575 is a good player (I use it with my Tosh ET1). The best connection is via component (turn on progressive scan on the dvd player). Next best picture is component without prog scan or scart RGB (the Epson needs a converter to connect the scart RGB to its 3 component sockets). Next best is s-video and finally composite.

4. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Tonyow,

Try this thread for screen size. The projector central link is very useful.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208179

Remember the projector will be upside down if on a shelf behind you, so you'll need a mount of somekind. This is because the lense needs to be at the bottom of the screen when using projectors feet on a table, or at the top of the screen, with the setting on the projector set to ceiling mount (which inverts the image). You may well be aware of this but it was something Ii hadn't thought about.

5. andylorenz

andylorenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    congrats, welcome to the unofficial TW10H owners club ;-)

I've had mine for about 2 weeks now, enjoying the experience, but still struggling with cabling.

I can give you a few pointers/recommendations:

* as there are only 1 set of jacks on the rear for each type of connection, and you should endeavour to use component or RGB wherever possible and they share the same set of jacks (note for RGB you need sync too, preferably combined with the green - and if you don't understand this, read up on the internet as you should know and its kinda interesting anyway, plus might save you the £40 I spent on the wrong cable lol) - then I bought a nice 3-into-1 component+audio switch for £15 from http://www.whitedog.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=421. This will obviously allow you to cable your xbox, DVD plus 1 more thing into your TW10H without having to recable every time you switch.

* http://www.consoleplus.co.uk are a very good place to look at the replacement RGB or even better component / HDTV cables for your xbox (I can guarantee you'll see a noticeable improvement in PQ over the composite lead you get as standard - DO IT, you won't regret! ).

my biggest problem - and might be yours too - is getting the cabling to allow you to split your projector (for video output) from your stereo (for audio output) from your input devices (STB, video, dvd, xbox) without creating a Heath Robinson system of cables, switches, connectors, pulleys and wires which might impress a fellow geek but plays havoc with the missus when the hoover's in town :rotfl:

6. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    one suggestion for the xbox would be to chip it and then get a proper Hi def kit for it from Liksang.com this lets you have true hi definition pictures from it! Cracking quality!

And also gives you the many other fantastic features of a chipped xbox.
    And yes component is definitely the way to go for the PJ.!! Enjoy it!

7. tonyow

tonyow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your help guys i'm ordering the 575 tomorrow from digitalempireonline for £94.87 inc next day del (has anyone used them before or would you recommend someone else) so as far as i can make out i need to purchase at the very least a component lead & a " 3-into-1 component+audio switch for £15 from http://www.whitedog.co.uk/catalog/p...products_id=421." to start me on my way....the xbox is chipped already noel-pilot so will definately be looking at the Hi def kit in the near future.
    lee789 i don't quite understand why the proj will have to be upside down on a shelf isn't it the same as standing on it's feet on a table only that it's higher :confused: ? i'm thinking it could be pretty awkward to have it that way round on a shelf...maybe a stand of some sort would be better then.

Thanks.

8. cartmin

cartmin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Always have the option later of upgrading your amp to one which does video converting ( at least all the numerous and different connections are hidden behind the amp ) with just one component cable running to the PJ... I know its where i'll be going next :thumbsup:

9. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It really depends how high the shelf is, but you mentioned it will be above your head, so I would assume thats quite high up.

When using it on a table the projector lense needs to be level with the bottom of the screen, as it projects a perfect rectangle from here. If it is slightly higher or lower than the bottom you end up with a trapezium shape, which can be rectified using keystone correction.

Therefore if you put it on a shelf above your head the right way up, the bottom of your image will be level with the shelf and the image will go up from that, probably past your ceiling.

You turn the projector upside down, tell the projector you have dione this, now it needs to be level with the top of the image, as it projects an niverted image down.

Ideally mount it on the underside of a shelf, then you can still access the on-off / zoom etc. The little rubber feet may work but there would be no adjustment available.

I've tried to look for some diagrams which I found last time, but had no joy. Hopefully this makes more sense.

10. tonyow

tonyow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi lee789,it does indeed make more sense now thanks very much....well the epson has arrived & is sitting on my sofa as i type...i'm getting my pioneer 575 & ikea blind tomorrow so hope to be up & running by the weekend,hope to post pics when it's setup.

cheers.