1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson TW100 pixel problem???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by alnikolo, Oct 14, 2004.

1. alnikolo

alnikolo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my firts post and I would apprecaite any assistance that other memebers could offer.

I have had my Epson TW100 for just over a year now and have been very happy with it. Recently a bright spot has developed near the centre of the image. It's only visible in black and cannot be seen when the image is all white, all red, all green or all blue. Unfortunately my eye is really drawn to it in dark scenes. I have looked at the spot really closely and it doesn't seem to be just confined to the boundaries of the pixel as it appears to be slightly longer.

I had come to the conclusion that it must be dust on the LCD panels given the previous discussions on this subject in this forum. This morning I took it to be professionally cleaned and he immediately concluded that it was a stuck pixel....end of story!

I guess I am still hoping that it might be dust so I have attempted to open the unit to try and clean the internals with a can of compressed air but cannot seem to get to the LCD panels.

Does anyone have any experience in opening and cleaning this unit? Or does this sound exactly like a stuck pixel?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    A dust blob is round, usually a very faint greenish-yellow in colour, generally only visible on a black background and if you focus the lens you can bring it into sharp focus.

A stuck pixel OTOH is a single point of light, which if you go up to the screen and look you'll see it in the matrix of pixels making up the panel.

Your description of it as 'a bright spot of light' to me sounds very clearly a stuck pixel I'm afraid. :(

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi alnikolo & welcome.

If the "professional" deemed it to be a stuck pixel, then it most likely is I'm afraid :(.

A stuck pixel should be clearly defined when focussed although it may blur slightly into surrounding pixels.

If it's dust, it should become clear while adjusting the focus as the rest of the picture goes (slightly) out of focus.

If you can get a good close-up shot of it (digital camera) & attach it here, we should be able to answer definitively.

May well be worth contacting Epson as they're pretty good at replacing units etc. & IIRC, offer 2 year warranties on some PJs. Not 100% certain on that though but worth checking all the same.

Best of luck with it :).

4. alnikolo

alnikolo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interestingly enough, when I got the projector home last night and set it up again I was again looking at the spot and noticed that it now goes to black after a few seconds on an all blue screen and it is quite clearly the one pixel with a clear edge. This did not happen before. I guess the pixel is slowly degrading. The thing that initially gave ne some hope it wasn't a stuck pixel was that the bright spot on a black screen does tend to bleed into adjacent pixels as you mentioned. This made it seem bigger than just one pixel and gave me cause to think it was something else. Oh well, at least I now know for sure.

Ive actually tried playing with one of the ideas mentioned on this forum regarding placing a small yellow spot on the actual screen. This does seem to make that bright spot almost disappear. This might be the best solution for now until I upgrade in the next year or so.

Again thanks for your replies.