1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson TW100 - demo...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by paublo, Jun 11, 2002.

1. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

Getting a brief play with an EPSON TW100 tomorrow night and would like some suggestions as to getting the best out of it... I didn't like the Pani, considering either 11HT or the Epson...

- Does anyone have powerstrip settings for it ?
    Native resolution - W-XGA (1280 x 720)
    525P(60), 625P(50), 750P(50/60) compatible ?????

- Any known problems or things people would like me to try on it, I plan to run a S-Video DVD feed and also a native HTPC feed using Powerdvd 4...

Cheers
    Paublo.

2. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I posted the settings according to Epson techies! Search for "official Epson TW100 settings" or something like that!

Have fun and report your findings.

Kane

3. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Kane, tried the settings, but they wouldnt give me a full screen image so I assume they were for the DVI input as stated in the previous thread...

Setting the htpc resolution to 1280,720 (via RGB Input B)resulted in the projector recognising it as 1800x666, but with lots of tweaking got a reasonable image centered on the screen...

Some background to my very subjective testing...

I currently own an old Sharp XV380H LCD 4:3 projector, getting on a bit know... hence the upgrade. Only s-video...

I have also borrowed a Pani ae100 and viewed a Sim 2 (Rainbows!!)

The Epson had a particularly vivid image with vibrant colours all round, the usual limitation in Black levels, only slightly better than the Pani....

The projector has a short throw and from my seating position around 13ft away- projector (around 9ft), I could see no 'pixelisation', but had to defocus the projector to get rid of what I "believe" to be screen door or what I struggle to describe as distracting grain in the image.

I tried a number of sources -
    PowerDVD XP4 on HTPC at various resolutions - lots of promise..
    Dscaler through Pinnacle TV Rave - dissapointing, probably down to my setup :(
    s-video from Pioneer 717 - acceptable

Disks, Star Trek Insurrection and MI2, both Region 2....

Once I relaxed about the 2 blue pixels that were out and how grainy PowerDVD is, the image was totally acceptable to me and my other half, even via s-video.... justs the blacks, maybe a filter??

It appeared that the projector highlighted how poor DVD's really are running at scaled 720p from the HTPC...would have liked to explore this a little bit more...

The other projector I would like to demo is the 11HT, just to see if blacks levels are better....

I only had the machine for a few hours and would need to play with the various screen modes and also get the 1:1 pixel mapping 100%...

overall - impressed and enjoyed it far more than the pani... The next question is it worth 3 times the money...... No.... but the higher res panel makes it far more appealing to me, with the right settings and filter this may just be the projector for me... bring on the Sony...

Just my thoughts, not very scientific and not to designed to wind up the many very happy AE100 owners, which is still fantastic value for Money...

Cheers
    Paul..:rolleyes: