1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

epson tw10

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by aetbaar, Jan 21, 2005.

1. aetbaar

aetbaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got this projector- here are my initial thoughts

I had tried a hp sb21 projector before and it was amazing

the epson I would say is average

the picture seems very pixelated (screendoor?) and not as clear as the hp i had seen
    I am connecting via s video lead to dvd player - i dont have composite leads and dont know how much difference that will make- my s video lead is 10m and has gold connectors- dont know how much a shorter or better quality lead will make?

i tried connecting to sky using the scart adaptor supplied and connecting to the sky box but it didn't pick it up - am I doing something worng as I thought I could connect sky

i am currently viewing with zoom which makes it mnore pixelated- when I set it up properly and set it further back and dont have to use zoom i will see the quality then- probably less screen door?

also i need a proper screen as i was testing on a magnolia wall- i am thinking of getting a blackout white blind from ikea to start and then going for a more professional one

any advice appreciated

will post back what it is like once properly set up

i also just wandered how much better an panasonic ptae 200 or 300 is than this- i f am not happy i may change but dont have a £1000 budget

if the panasonic is soo much better then it may be worth it but if they will be similar- i.e similar to the normal eye not an av pro then it may not be worth it- any advice appreciated...

2. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241

Hi Aetbaar,

This is the problem I had with my Epson, far to much blocky pixelation around the edges and backgrounds of the image.I tried via 5 metre (albiet cheap) s-video cable and dvd player as well as via 5 metre VGA lead to pc and found the problem was there on both instances.I also use very very little zoom and only project onto a "small" 5ft DRH screen, which as opposed to the wall makes no diff in terms of improving the "blocky image". :(

3. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I was seriously considering purchasing this projector but negetive comments like this worry me greatly. Are you saying your not happy with the PQ from this unit?

Thanks

4. aetbaar

aetbaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am tempted to send this back and then order a panasonic when i can afford one

5. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not sure that a PT AE200 OR 300 would be any better given they use a similar sized LCD panel and have similar specs on paper. Plus this is quite an old model so I would have thought you'd only get one second hand. I think technology has improved/become much cheaper since this was introduced.

The PT 700 however would definitly be a step up from the epson, and a comparison would not be fair given that is twice the price.

Before I bought my epson I thought about trying to get an older (maybe better) second hand model, but in the end read great reviews of this model.

I'm more than happy with mine, however what I understand is this is the cheapest model out there and there are obviously much better PJ's out there (for much more money) BUT for £500 I think this is tremendous value (it was £200 cheaper than my Sony 32" widescreen - and i get miles more enjoyment out if watching this).

I have mine set up with a pioneer 565 with a 10 metre component lead on a 5 foot screen. I watch from about 3metres away and only occaisionaly do I see great screen imperfections. You definitly can see them if you look closely for them and on some dvd's it is more noticeable than on others, but on the whole its not bad.

The review on projector central sold it to me and reading comments from other forum members.

I think what you've got to take into account is that you get what you pay for and in this case I think for what you pay its exceptional value.

6. aetbaar

aetbaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will have to set this up properly to do it justice with a decent screen and not using the zoom as i think this makes it worse- i also need to try it at night when fully dark

plan on doing this tomorrow and will let u know how it goes

i do agree with your comments about price though for the money it is good a pt ae 200 or 300 is about £800-£900 and probably not that much different

7. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241

Im not no, however this is my first LCD PJ and it may be that the "problems" im seeing are a factor of LCD? previous to the Epson I had a old 1998 £2200 DLP data projector which the epson beats hands down in terms of brightness richness of colour and lack of rainbows.But couldent touch in terms of picture smoothness.For £550 it's great if all you want is to watch movies on a BIG screen with an O.K picture, if you want more? and I do like higher resolutions than save up anouther £300-500 and buy a Sanyo z2 or Hitachi PJtx-100 :)

BTW I never managed to try upscaling a dvd image to say a HD res of 1280x700 via Zoomplayer pro and FFDshow which "may" sort out the only problem with the Epson as far as im concerned which is the said "blockyness" also high def clips like T2 played via wmp 10 with the epson
    set to a desktop res of 1024x768 produced NO BLOCKY PIXELS! :D Which leads me to belive that the only problem with this PJ is the low native res of 852x480? :(

8. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    See this dosen't make sense. No matter what you put into the projector, it can only project a maximum resolution of 852x480, so the picture will be up or downscaled. As you managed to provide a source that gave a good, non-pixelated output, that pretty much rules out the resolution of the projector being a problem and points towards your source, or at least the capabilities of the Epsons scaler.

A shame you couldn't try a progressive scan DVD with component connection just as a comparision.

9. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241

Hi Mike,

The PJ is capable of a 1024x768 image though it's native res is 852x480. When I used windows set to 1024x768 it would show up via the OSD as such but never via OSD as the Epsons "native" 852x480, I did use a standalone dvd player to check it wasent my source though it wasent progressive and again I noticed the blocky pixels.Power dvd4 was the software player and there was a thread of old on here about an Hitachi pjtx-100 owner with the same probs as mine again using PDVD4, However "IF" it was just a software issue than surely it shouldent have casued the problem via standalone dvd playback via s-video? :confused:

10. maxiboy

maxiboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't really understand the problem that you are describing, I have a TW10H connected to a Pioneer 575 via component cables (progressive) and the picture is really good.

I think that your problem will come from one of the following:
    1) You are sitting too close to the screen (you should be 2x the width away). From here you shouldn't see much screen door.
    2) You need to calibrate the projector (use Avia or DVE) this can make a noticable difference to MPEG artifacts
    3) There is a real increase in quality from S-video to a progressive input, the whole image will be much smoother this way.
    4) Avoid using keystone or zoom - just "stretch" in the aspect setting from a 16:9 source.
    5) Use decent cables if you need a 10m length

Now it is tricky for me to say do this and you will love the image if it is a limitation of the technology that is bothering you but I am very impressed with this set up. I know what home cinema should look like as my brother has a CRT projector, and whilst the Epson is not in the same league, it produces a very watchable picture.

The other thing is you really do need to project onto some kind of screen, they are cheap if you make your own.

I hope that this helps.

11. msrx7mh3

msrx7mh3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've also got an TW10H, which provides an excellent picture (bearing in mind the price)- no pixellation to the extent mentioned in the posts above.

My sources are a PC (1280x720 res) and a modded XBOX (480p/720p/750p)- no jaggies in sight! Project onto a white wall.

12. aetbaar

aetbaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice

Maybe I need a dvd player with component out- do you know where i can get a decent budget one from?

I also had trouble connecting sky- tried to plug the scart from the tv scart in the back of the sky box using the adaptor on the epson and changed the projector setting so the vide input said RGB and not component but it says that it is not supported or something? am I doing something wrong? I assume that you should be able to connect sky- any tips please?

is it advised against using zoom? my projector is 3.1m away from the wall and only gives a 1.6m wide picture so i have to use a zoom so i can get my picture to 2.3m wide- should i put the projector further back instead?

13. maxiboy

maxiboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By zoom, I meant digital zoom- sorry. The optical zoom won't make much difference to the picture quality. In terms of a DVD player check out either the Toshiba 340e (well under £100) or the Pioneer 575 (just over £100). Look in the DVD forum for more info on prices and where to get them from. I got my Pioneer from Richer Sounds.

14. aetbaar

aetbaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks- I take it the lever on top of the lense that you can use to adjust is optical and there is an option in the menu for the the digital one?

any help on setting up sky to work on my epson?

15. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Set the skybox to output RGB. Plug the Scart from the skybox into the adaptor that came with the Epson. Then plug the 4 cables into the Projector - they're colour coded so it's pretty simple to see what goes where, then select the video input (I think*) on the PJ and away you go.

*It might be a case of changing the input on input A to RGB-video to get a signal, it's been a while since I did it.

16. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I have a TW10H and absolutely love it! I use a PS2 (via RGB which isn't the best but i'm yet to buy a component lead) and Xbox (via Hi Def component which is superb! :clap: ). I have also ran my PC through it in 1024 x 768 and this produces an excellent picture indeed!!

For £500 it's a superb PJ IMO and when you consider that it uses lamps that only cost around £140 it's superb value as well! :thumbsup: