Epson TW-9400 HUM

bisher

Hi all

I have the TW-9400 setup in a dedicated cinema room.

I am having an issue when a 60Hz signal is put through it. It does not matter what resolution it is, it makes a noticeable drone/hum noise.

The company i bought it from have been very good and got it returned to Epson but they said everything is within normal parameters.

The projector is about 5 months old but only recently installed it. I noticed it when my streaming box was set to 60Hz but i thought nothing of it as i could set it to 50Hz.

The issue now is that i got a PS4 and this only runs at 60Hz, no way of changing it.

I did some research and seen within this thread that the 9300 had a similar issue. The Epson rep said that this has been sorted for this model.

Just wondering if anybody else here is having the same issue before i go back to them.

Many thanks

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
It’s eshift, if you send it a 1080 signal you can turn it on and off to narrow it down to eshift... with a 4k signal you can’t turn it on and off

bisher

Hi Thatsnotmynaim

Thanks for the reply. Sorry mate, are you saying the projector has an option to turn on or off?

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
the PJ is a faux 4k PJ so use ms eshift enhancer to make a 1080 picture closer to a 4k picture. With a 1080 signal you can optionally turn it on or off (it’s on by default), but for a 4k signal it has to be on. It’s usually this that makes a noise / buzz, but to determine if it is this, send the pj a 1080 signal (not a 4k) signal then you can toggle it on and off to quickly determine if it’s this mechanism that is causing the noise. It usually makes a ‘different’ noise at 50/60hz to 24hz, if you measure it with a microphone or mobile phone it’s often not actually louder, it just has a more annoying / intrusive tone. It is usually normal even if annoying...

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
It’s under Image - Image Enhancement - 4k Enhancement...

bisher

Yes mate, just tried it.

It does do that, I may have to just live with it. I can run the streaming box at 4k 50hz anyway.

The ps4 will have to stay at 1080p and disable the 4k enhancement.

I've asked the company i got it from if i can come to them and have a listen to theirs.

Thank you for the help mate.

kayti

I've found for mine that 24Hz and 50Hz are quiet, but 60Hz can be a real pain. Curiously, it tends to make a different sound depending upon how much white is in the image (PC internet browsing = AARGH, fullscreen video = bearable).

Supersonic

I get this with mine, which is 2 weeks old.

I'd say it's noticeable if you listen for it, but not loud or intrusive, and definitely not 'aargh'! I can browse 'white' forums like this one without issue.

How is yours mounted, and whereabouts is it, relative to your viewing position?

Mine's above and slightly behind me, ceiling mounted.

I might try placing some foam or egg box material in different places around it just to see if that makes a difference, as the sound seems to be quite directional.

bisher

Mine is the same as yours Supersonic, might take it down and see if it's any better the other way.

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
It is annoying but I tend to find once I’m shooting stuff in the nuts on whatever game I’m playing I don’t notice it.

VAMET

Dear Friends

EH-TW9400 is not only Epson projector, which has got such problem with hum, when 4K Enhancement is enabled. I own the newest one EH-TW7100 and I have the same issue/noise. When I add 1080 signal and disable 4K Enhancement there is no other noise then fan and air noise. I use ECO mode and I have projector in normal front position on the shelf, which is 0.84 m from my viewing site. I can hear this hum only in ECO mode, when in Medium or High, the noise from fan is much louder.

I have tested it with NVIDIA SHIELD Pro 2019 with Netflix and Kodi. Default display settings are 2160p 4:2:2 10bit BT.2020 60Hz for NVIDIA SHIELD Pro 2019. When I watch Netflix with 60Hz, there is a little hum and it's constant - I can accept it, but when I change refresh rate to 23.976Hz it's more annoying, because there is constant hum + some pulsing hum, but this pusling hum is only on specific time, which I don't resolve yet, when it happens. Maybe, like someone said before, when more white is on the screen - I need to check it.

As for replacement, you may do this, but this is lottery 50:50, that you will have a good unit and you may only set your prayers and believe, that your new unit will not have this hum once more, but after few days (in my case 26 days without hum and then hum noise appears), 4 month, 1 year etc.

There is an official statement from Epson:

When the 4K Enhancement setting is enabled, the projector's internal 4Ke device operates at a high speed to display an image in fine detail. It is normal for the projector to hum slightly when the 4Ke device is operating.

Note: The 4K Enhancement setting cannot be disabled when projecting a 4K signal.

I have warranty to 03.12.2021, so I will be observing if the hum will not be louder and when 23 months will past I will decide to use my warranty.

Sincerely

Le3

Novice Member
My TW9400 is loudest at 30 Hz and 60 Hz at UHD or lower res with 4Ke. I can still hear at 24 Hz but just barely. The former are so loud that people sitting in the next room find it annoying.I wonder though why it is an issue at 30 Hz and 60 Hz but not at 25 Hz and 50 Hz. Is it a coincidence that the buzz is at 420 Hz which is divisible by 60 Hz?

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
JVC eShift and DLP "faux-K" units also all have this kind of thing, and it does seem to vary between units. I myself have had 2 JVC X7900s and this one is much quieter than previous.
I've never heard of it being audible in the next room though, that sounds pretty severe - though I don't have up close experience of the Epson units, and perhaps you have the hearing of a dog! :)

Only the native 4K units obviously manage to avoid this sort of thing, and it's one of the reasons to be keen on those products IMHO.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Like above its part and parcel of e-shift but whilst mine is audible at start up it quickly settles down to barely noticeable after a minute or two.

I’ve yet to hear a DLP True 4K machine that shifts twice as much as either the JVC or Epson so can only imagine it’s even worse. An expensive pill to swallow but maybe your only option is to switch to a native 4K though then fans might be the thing you hear.

Mattyex5

Hi all

About to pull the trigger on an epson 9400 have just sold a jvc x5000 and the eshift noise although not super loud was annoying once I noticed. Was going to ask I'd anyone had compared but reading through it seems very subjective and in certain circumstances can vary by unit. Will just go for it as just can't afford the step up to native and to be honest from reviews for the price the image of the epson is amazing

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Hi all

About to pull the trigger on an epson 9400 have just sold a jvc x5000 and the eshift noise although not super loud was annoying once I noticed. Was going to ask I'd anyone had compared but reading through it seems very subjective and in certain circumstances can vary by unit. Will just go for it as just can't afford the step up to native and to be honest from reviews for the price the image of the epson is amazing

You will be impressed by the crispness of its image with e-shift or as Epson like to call it “Image Enhancement” but it’s HDR that will be the biggest jump unless you are using MadVR.

bisher

Le3
Mine is exactly the same. I sent mine back and they said it was ok.

To be honest, it cannot be used at 60Hz it’s so bad.

Le3

Novice Member
I’ve listened to your video link and can’t hear a thing? o_O

If you turn off Image Enhancement does it stop?
The sound is not normalised so, naturally, you need to turn your volume up. There's also some info in the description of the video.

Here's a frequency analysis of the sound. The first ist how it is supposed to be. Anything not 4K/Image Enhancement at 60 Hz or 30 Hz:
1605368757486.png

Next is 4K/Image Enhancement at 60 Hz or 30 Hz. Clearly a peak at about 420 Hz. Way above the noise level of the spec:
1605368765652.png

... and yes, I can still hear this in the next room. It's that bad and it's supposed to be normal. I effectively can't use my PS4 at 4K because it only supports 60 Hz output.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I never heard anything distracting from the Epson 9400 personally. Sure silent scenes.. you can kind of hear it... but otherwise its absolutely fine. yes it makes noise, but its a projector..

now if you were to shift the lamp to 'high mode'.. then i have a problem with it.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
So many years working in the car audio business has left me with Tinnitus so maybe I just can’t hear it because of this.

Quick question, what’s the firmware version you are running, 1.03 or 1.04?

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
M&K Sound launches V+ Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett