Question Epson tw 9400 connection with ps5

Zizux

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have an Epson TW 9400 and cannot set it to the highest resolution on PlayStation 5.

Either I have 2160p without HDR, or if I have HDR on it automatically downgrades the image to 1080p. The devices are connected through the Wireless Connection from Epson, since the distance between the projector and PlayStation would require an HDMI cable of 10m.

Why is it not possible to get the highest resolution through the Wireless Connection? Furthermore, if I buy a 10m HDMI cable and I connect both devices in this way, will it work better than with the Wireless Connection? Any cable trademark in particular that you would recommend? The seller told me that HDMI cables this long are not keeping the 4K signal.

Thank you in advance for your tips and support! After spending a lot of time and some money, the fact that I’m not playing/watching series on highest definition really drives me crazy!

wireless connection wont work for you for highest bandwidth..

i have a 10m passive hdmi that passes full bandwidth 18gbps. its available to me locally though, unlikely to you. you will likely need a fibre at 10m to do full bandwidth. eg ruipro.... but it is not cheap.

if you want and have a conducive retailer you can try borrowing a 10m passive cable to see if works....lot cheaper ... but is likely a hit and miss experience. ie either works or doesnt. we have cable tests you can run these days eg with appleTV 4k, xboxonex & panasonic players. not sure if the ps5 has a cable test facility.

the epson wont support hdmi 2.1 clearly for ps5 but you will still enjoy just about everything with it.

Thanks for the constructive feedback. That means the only way to get the maximum of the projector and PS5 is with a cable connection.

In my case above described, does it make a difference if I buy a cable that supports HDMI 2.1 or one that supports HDMI 2.0b? I find it hard to get a cable 10m long that supports HDMI 2.1, even from ruipro as suggested...
Honestly of course money is important but since already spent some on the projector and PS5, I am determined to get smth that works 100%.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the constructive feedback. That means the only way to get the maximum of the projector and PS5 is with a cable connection.

yep 👍

In my case above described, does it make a difference if I buy a cable that supports HDMI 2.1 or one that supports HDMI 2.0b? I find it hard to get a cable 10m long that supports HDMI 2.1, even from ruipro as suggested...

nope... as projector doesnt support hdmi 2.1

note the cable spec is "ultra high speed" to support hdmi 2.1 chips sets

with ultra high speed cables the only certified ones are avaible in quite short lengths 3-5m at most. ruipro wont have their certified cables on market till 2021 jan - feb if i remember... they will be certified to work. certification is mandatory on ultra high speed cables.

longer than that... will have to buy something like ruipro gen 3. they did have some issues with that
(as all cable makers) and gear out there and compatibility ... as its still shifting sands..companies are still trying to get their hdmi 2.1 chip sets sorted out...so till they do its hard for cable companies to match to suit... if buy from a local retailer who sells ruipro or amazon. ruipro has a lifetime warranty so if not doing what they say they will swap over... which is good ... but wont help if you want it hard run through walls or through ceiling and such....

I am having the very same problem with ps5 and epson tw7300 but wired via hdmi. Nvidia shield passes 4k hdr over the same hdmi cable no problems. Any thoughts to solve this problem would be great. Ps5 gives the message that the display only supports hdr in 1080p as the op has stated and again my htpc and nvidia shield pro passes 4k hdr to this device with no issues.

wireless connection wont work for you for highest bandwidth..

i have a 10m passive hdmi that passes full bandwidth 18gbps. its available to me locally though, unlikely to you. you will likely need a fibre at 10m to do full bandwidth. eg ruipro.... but it is not cheap.

if you want and have a conducive retailer you can try borrowing a 10m passive cable to see if works....lot cheaper ... but is likely a hit and miss experience. ie either works or doesnt. we have cable tests you can run these days eg with appleTV 4k, xboxonex & panasonic players. not sure if the ps5 has a cable test facility.

the epson wont support hdmi 2.1 clearly for ps5 but you will still enjoy just about everything with it.
There is a cable test facility on the panasonics? Where do I find that?

Any thoughts to solve this problem’ - replace your HDMI cable, how long is the cable you are using?

Joe

There is a cable test facility on the panasonics? Where do I find that?
As soon as select 4k50/60 as option in video setup, it will swing into cable test. Then ask for confirmation can see image, If get no image by default will drop back to 4k24

As soon as select 4k50/60 as option in video setup, it will swing into cable test. Then ask for confirmation can see image, If get no image by default will drop back to 4k24
Ahh, right. Yes. I though there was a specific test that I had missed. Not that it matters as all my signals go through fine.

@dazzer123 the Epson 7300 HDMI chipset is 10.2Gbps max.

Attachments

• hdmi_2.1_bandwidth_chart_murideo-1.pdf
    209.6 KB · Views: 114
I am having the same issue, please if anyone could help?

ps5 is telling me to change to 1080p for hdr otherwise won’t let me turn it on in 4K. I am using a passive hdmi cable that is powered.

I am also able to get 4K hdr on every other device fine! Although Apple TV also doesn’t want to turn it on from the video device settings, however it still auto switches hdr on when a hdr movie is played on Netflix or Amazon prime.

Anyone know how I can enable hdr 4K on ps5 please with this projector?

I am having the same issue, please if anyone could help?

ps5 is telling me to change to 1080p for hdr otherwise won’t let me turn it on in 4K. I am using a passive hdmi cable that is powered.

I am also able to get 4K hdr on every other device fine! Although Apple TV also doesn’t want to turn it on from the video device settings, however it still auto switches hdr on when a hdr movie is played on Netflix or Amazon prime.

Anyone know how I can enable hdr 4K on ps5 please with this projector?
Are both HDMI ports on the 9400 hdcp 2.2 compliant? You need to check every point in your chain is set to full bandwidth operation. Usually when a device forces, or wants 1080 applied, it is due to hdcp 1.4.

From the spec sheet so it seems both hdmi ports are 2.2 compliant. And it makes sense as I’m getting 4K hdr on some other devices like nVidia shield, although Apple TV 4K doesn’t want to set it either on settings but still turns it on when a hdr movie is played.

Any idea why some devices would work and ps5 wouldn’t?

The PS5 is going to want to connect @ 10bit 60hz for HDR and as such is expecting full 18Gbps bandwidth. You need to make sure every device in your chain, display, AVR and sources are set to full/enhanced HDMI function. If you have never touched these settings before it is more than likely they are set to standard mode which will still allow anything below 30hz to come through correctly.
You need to start with your display and then work backwards to check the HDMI ports on each device are set to full bandwidth.
Beyond that, hopefully someone with a PS5 will be able to help more specifically.
Good luck.

The PS5 is going to want to connect @ 10bit 60hz for HDR and as such is expecting full 18Gbps bandwidth. You need to make sure every device in your chain, display, AVR and sources are set to full/enhanced HDMI function. If you have never touched these settings before it is more than likely they are set to standard mode which will still allow anything below 30hz to come through correctly.
You need to start with your display and then work backwards to check the HDMI ports on each device are set to full bandwidth.
Beyond that, hopefully someone with a PS5 will be able to help more specifically.
Good luck.
I think it could be a setting on my avr but I don’t know which one!?? I have a Arcam AVR550, also I’m using fibre optic hdmi cable so it’s definitely not that!

I think it could be a setting on my avr but I don’t know which one!?? I have a Arcam AVR550, also I’m using fibre optic hdmi cable so it’s definitely not that!
Not all cables are created equal even fibre optic ones. Check your Arcam manual to see if there is something needs changing. If you have never done so in the past, chances are it is still set to standard.

Also, do you have two outputs from your arcam used? Do they both support full HDR 4k signals? If you have a tv in the main one and the projector in the secondary, then they may not both be able to output 4k at once.... .?

Not all cables are created equal even fibre optic ones. Check your Arcam manual to see if there is something needs changing. If you have never done so in the past, chances are it is still set to standard.
Ok any idea what I should be looking for in manual or in settings? Is it hdr?

so I have two hdmi plugged into projector but only one plugged into the avr as the second was for backup purposes incase the first one stopped working ever. But yes avr only has one output used.

A quick Web search will yield the manual for your pj if you don't have a copy already. Sounds like you need to go back to basics and be methodical in your testing.
Good luck.

A quick Web search will yield the manual for your pj if you don't have a copy already. Sounds like you need to go back to basics and be methodical in your testing.
Good luck.
i tried plugging cable directly into a xbox series X, and still having same issue with no HDR. and it only outputting rec709, 8bit, 59hz, SDR to me.

Also i was told by installer that it cant be the cable because i have a celerity 4k optical cable and should be good to 18gbps.

So any idea what else it could be? Has anyone managed to it 4k HDR working with this projector and a PS5, XBOX Series X?

Perhaps you need to get your installer back round to properly earn his pennies?

In that case it is highly possible that your cables are not up to 4K 60hz HDR.
I have an expensive cable right here that is supposed to be capable of 27Gbps bandwidth.
It failed when I started to use full on 4:2:2 12bit 60hz (over 13.4Gbps) signals.
HDMI_data_rates.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom