1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

epson tw-10

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ducati, Jul 6, 2004.

1. ducati

ducati

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im new to the projector sceen and have been looking hard at the epson for a while i had a go with a infocus x1 but the dlp effects buged me ALLOT so id like t stick wid lcd . amy info from people that have or seen a epson tw-10 id like to hear from u :thumbsup:

2. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Absolutely love mine. First PJ but been desperate for the the big screen experience for a while. The Epson got good reviews in the mags and it has just about every connection I'm likely to need. I've currently got mine on the wall behind the sofa on a portable TV bracket, using the freebie screen Epson threw in with their offer this month. At only 60" the screen will need to be upgraded soon, the PJ throws a pretty impressive large picture from quite close distances then I'll need to sort out a prog scan DVD player.

Obviously still raving (and ranting!) as It's still relatively new but for a sub £1k intro to big screen home cinema I would definitely buy another and recommend one to friends and family. Bought mine without ever seeing it in use as well, bit careless I know but it paid off. BTW got mine for £880 online a month ago.

3. Jim McC

Jim McC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this the same as the Epson Home 10 in USA? I'm also considering the Home 10.

4. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes Jim it is,

Epson Powerlite Home 10 = Epson TW10

there is also a (+) and a (H) version respectively of the two with increased contrast & lumens.

www.avsforum.com may help you more as it's US based, there are also 31 positive reviews on www.projectorcentral.com

Cheers

5. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Good point, I actually have the TW10H.

6. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Was the screen in stock when you got your Epson? It is showing out of stock at the moment but says we are still elligable to recieve it (and the mini fridge and beer vouchers..lol) as the projector was bought during the offer period.

How long did the screen take to come from Epson?

7. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It wasn't in stock the day I registered online. However within 48 hrs I had an email telling me it was back in stock. Delivery was also very quick, less than 48 hours.

All in all I was pleasantly surprised, first because they had no stock and secondly, I think the offer small print said something like delivery within 28 Days; I was expecting a very long wait. However, the temporary use of the (magnolia!) wall made me appreciate the dedicated screen a lot more even though I thought the picture looked good on the wall!

8. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Cleric & PJPip where di you get your TW10H from and at what price?

I think the epson promo can no longer be cashed in after the 14th of July so if I went for the H version i'd have to be quick.

Have either of you seen the TW10 against the TW10H, curious whether the extra 100 contrast and 200 lumens makes that much a difference.

9. wayne42

wayne42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went for this model as well (while the offer was on). Waiting for my screen to come (and beer voucher) but tried it at my mates house and it was great.

10. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    The TW10H I am using at the moment is not actually mine. I was asked by my boss to buy a new projector for one of our offices but we only have accounts of a couple of places so I got it from CCL Computers in Bradford for £918. It is currently undergoing.....uuuuurrrmmm...testing...at my house :blush:

The offer is valid until the 14th of July but only on projectors bought up to and including the 30th June :(

I dont have a screen so have 'made' one to use until the projector goes into service. It is just a very basic 8ft by 4ft wooden frame with a large white sheet tightly tacked to it :D

11. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I bought mine from www.simply.co.uk for £880, despatch was fine, shame the courier put a card through someone elses door though! I waited 3 days (standard delivery) before finding out they supposedly tried to deliver on the monday - just not to my house.

Haven't seen the comparision between the 10 and 10H but considering I spend just about all my viewing time in Theatre Black mode (quietest, darkest, most efficient) I doubt the extra lumens are actually being used anyway.

12. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    The TW10H I have been using is now boxed up and ready to go into service tomorrow as a Powerpoint projector (what a waste :( )

Watched a couple of movies last night on my home made 'bed sheet screen' ..lol. I too used the Theatre Black mode as I thought the image seemed more 'true' than the other modes...plus quieter fan noise was a benefit too.

13. Bradds

Bradds
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me how the fan noise effects viewing. :lesson:
    I know it runs at 29Db when you are watching it in movie mode, but is this quite audible throughout the film.
    if I stick the projector on a speaker stand behind my settee will i hear it, or if I ceiling mounted it.

any info would be of great help, this is the only thing halting the purchase at the moment.

14. Hooky

Hooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    guys,

I really want one of these now :)

just a quick question anyone know where to buy stuff like a wall bracket, high quality screens etc.. I hope I'm not too late for the offer but the plan would be to buy a ceiling mounted screen after a while. any links or more info would be helpful.

thanks

Hooky

15. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Tricky question really as one persons perception of the noise will be different to someone elses. However, I recently had some family round for a movie and they actually commented on how low the noise was. My PJ sits on a portable TV bracket less than 2ft from the viewers head. I almost exclusively watch in Theatre or Theatre Black modes (quietest) and yes you know it's there but I wouldn't say it spoiled my viewing. For action movies etc, you won't hear it until the credits finish! IMO a PJ isn't going to get any closer to the viewers ears than mine (short of perching it on your head!) and I say buy it - you won't regret it if this is your first.

16. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,091
    My Philips PJ is a bit noisier at 34/32dB. It's wall mounted about 1.5 metres up and 1.5 metres from my head. The noise is noticeable if you listen for it during very quiet sections, but it certainly isn't disturbing.
    In the summer we run a 9" desk fan on the floor in the lounge and that makes a more noticeable noise, even on it's lowest setting.

17. Bradds

Bradds
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for the info.
    I've since purchased it and am not bothered by the PJ noise and am very happy with the purchase.

Cheers
    :clap:

18. ducati

ducati

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thnx f replys . ive orderd mine comin soon but delaid becouse of high demand lol :thumbsup:

19. Dear Mr Echo

Dear Mr Echo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Where did you order from ducati?
    I'm expecting mine tomorrow from TechnoWorld (with their own free screen) around £660ish including delivery.

As regards the free screen and fridge/beer form Epson, I understand they are out of stock at the moment but will be getting more soon. I think as long as you contact them by 14th August you can still get the freebies.

http://www.epson.co.uk/summerofsport/index.htm

20. gankoba

gankoba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my projector is awsome when it comes to dvds and console games. but how do I hook it up to my computer? I've tried a couple things but all I get on my screen is a jumbled up flashing static kind of picture. I've tried searching for drivers but nothing so far. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

21. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had my TW10H delivered today. I'm nervous about getting it home and being disapointed with it seeing as it cost so much (and I had to do some arm twisting with the other half to get it). I hope it lives up to expectations after all you guys said it was great.

BTW, the free screen and fridge offer is extended for purchases until 31/07/2004 and you must claim by 14/08/2004 so you have a couple of days left if you want to get in on the act.

22. gankoba

gankoba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nevermind, I found what I was doing wrong....was using the wrong cable....hehe.