1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson Tw-10 or Panny PT-AE300?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mark.h.ellis, Jan 4, 2004.

1. mark.h.ellis

mark.h.ellis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok Heres the problem.
    I have just read the review of the epson tw-10 in home cinema choice and they gave it 4.5/5 points as what they reckon is an excellent home cinema projector.
    This I can get for £818 inc. Or should i spend the extra and go for a panny PT-AE300? I know it is slightly higher resolution but what extras do I get for an extra £200? All I want to do is watch home movies/dvd/sky at a larger size than currently on my 28" TV.
    I shall be watching from about 11-12 foot away from the screen. Is screendoor effect on any of these projectors gonna be a problem?
    Your opinions would be appreciated, possible from someone who has demo'd these two projectors?
    Cheers
    Mark

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, viewing a 6' or 7' wide screen from that distance should minimise the SD. The AE300 has a slightly softer picture (softscreen technology :D) but it undoubtedly does reduce the visibility of the picture structure.

The AE300 is one of the quitest PJs I've heard (low lamp mode) & has a scart for RGB input from Sky etc.

They're not too dissimiliar TBH. Whether the AE300 justifies the extra £200 is ultimately a decision for you but personally, I'd probably opt for the Panasonic.

BTW, welcome :)

3. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the ae300 and, having not seen the epson, I am quite happy with it.

During purchase I demo'd the panny, NEC, Tosh MT8(? £5k DLP that was the bees knees at the time), sanyo and something else. For the price vs performance it was between the tosh and the panny/ The DLP gave me eyestrain, headache and terrible rainbow effect after about 35 mins of viewing so I bought the panasonic and have been very happy apart from two things:

dust spots (bloomin LCDs!)
    scanline artifact which is very noticeable on large areas of moving white on screen. However, a slight defocus and this is all but invisible.

Oh, it's whisper quiet and has a plethora of inputs. But it doesn't support native 1:1 pixel mapping for PC or HD input, but Colin McCrae Rally at 6ft is an experience for all the family!!

Until someone makes a definitive display projector (the ultimate of current times) i'm sticking with the panny!

4. RajUK

RajUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've a Hitachi pjtx10 which is the same sorta price

IMHO it's very quiet and not noticable when watching a film / game

anyway if it is just up the volume on your amp

;)

i tried an infocus x1 but even though i couldn't see rainbows, some of my friends could so i ended up not buying it and looked at LCD instead

5. RajUK

RajUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    oh and lots of people will recommend the sanyo z2 which is supposed to be a bargain for the price, even more so on that 1100 quid nexnix offer they had for preorders