Epson R300.....clearing "General Error"

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Bulletguy, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Bulletguy

Bulletguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    My Epson R300 is displaying an Error warning which states on the display;

General Error. See your Printer documentation for information about clearing the error.

The reference manual says;

General error
    Turn the printer off. Remove any foreign objects from inside the printer. Wait a few minutes, and then turn the printer back on. If the problem persists, contact your dealer.

I've done that three times yet it still persists in displaying this 'error' warning which appears to be non-existent.

Any ideas to sort it appreciated as it would be cheaper to chuck it in the bin than take it to a Dealer! :rolleyes:

2. DeepDiver

DeepDiver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Try This

Turn off printer
    (the maintenance button is the one with a tear drop/paper symbol)

Press and hold 'stop' 'maintenance' and 'power' buttons for about 10 seconds. A message will appear on the screen. power off and back on for reset

Hope this works. If not, try this, SSC Service Utility for Epson Stylus Printer.

If it is what i think it is then it is proberbly cheaper to buy a new printer.
    It is likely that the waste ink sponge is full of ink. That may not sound much, but, you would have to strip the printer down to wash the sponge's. I did this with an Epson CX6600 AIO. Very messy and the ink takes ages to come off your hands.

If you really want to keep the printer then you could fit a CIS "continuous ink system" ‪Continuous Ink System CIS CISS For EPSON R200 R220 R300 R320‬‏ - YouTube

Buy Quality Epson Bulk Continuous Ink Systems CISS and Save time and money | Ink Express UK Not tried it myself so can't comment.

3. Bulletguy

Bulletguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Quite possible as i've been using a CISS system. They are ok until they start oozing ink out everywhere which is what happened with mine. Had to yank all the cartridges out and mop up the mess but after re-installing, thats when I got this error message.

As you say it's cheaper to buy a new printer so I went and got an Epson SX130 from Comet. Printer and Scanner combined......£25! At that price if it lasts a year I won't have a problem chucking it in the bin!

Might have a go at trying to repair the R300 as it was a damn good printer and well built (all these new ones are really flimsy things).

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

4. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,984
    Indeed, the general protection error usually relates to a full waste tank but can be thrown up by foreign objects jamming the printer.

If you caught it early enough you could suck the ink out without disassembly using a long syringe, then use the SSC utility to reset the counter.

Since you have removed the CISS cartridges creating a good seal may be a problem if you refit them.

5. master4wheeler

master4wheeler
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if its because of the waste ink sponge is full of ink I found a easer way of fixing the problem just take Kleenex and soak up the ink from the sponge you do not have to strip your printer or buy a new sponge