Epson projector no 12v Trigger out

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lovers, Jul 21, 2018.

1. lovers

lovers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,
    I'm nearing completion of a discreet projector home cinema setup in my living room but was scratching my head for a while on how to trigger the Sapphire electric projector screen from my Epson EHTW5600, which does not have a 12v trigger out.

I spent some time searching online and the only neat solutions seem to be boxes which intercept the power line and sense when the projector is on, such as this one:
    Sapphire 200V AC Auto Trigger System - STR
    These seem a bit expensive and overcomplicated for what should be a simple electrical problem of providing a 12v feed to a 2.5mm plug.

But I found a better solution....
    The projector DOES have a USB port, which provides a 5v DC output only when it is switched on.
    There are many options of USB 5v to 12v dc converters on Amazon, such as this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-...183251&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+to+12v+transformer

I cut the DC plug off the 12v end of the adapter wired it directly to a 2.5mm phono cable which plugs straight into the projector screen, with the lead hidden inside some coving and through the ceiling.
    Now the screen comes down automatically when the projector is turned on.

Let me know if you want any further info or photos, I hope this can be useful for anyone else with the same problem!

Rich

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Thanks - that's a neat solution. I have two extra Atmos speakers to put up so I may run one of these from the projector to screen at the same time.

3. arthurdent003

arthurdent003
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I built my own 12v trigger years ago with a 12v relay in a box in the ceiling and having replaced the pj I just bumped into this problem! No 12v out on an epson tw6700

But ... I guess all I need to do is swap the 12v dc relay for a 5v dc relay and use the USB output. No need for a transformer just swap the relay in the trigger box.