1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson printer problem

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Rindless, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Rindless

Rindless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For some reason my Epson Stylus 600 stopped printing using the black ink (colour cartridge prints fine).

I thought the cartridge was empty (but did not perform the ink level check), so I replaced it with a new one, but the printer still will not print using the black ink.

When I try to print a letter, the printer goes through the motions, but the page comes out with olny a few faint black lines here and there.

I think it's a blockage but after performing the nozel cleaning and print head cleaning using the cleaning utility, I still have had no luck.

What do I do now ?

2. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If it is out of warranty, it is cheaper to replace it than repair.

With some of the very cheap printers on the market now, it has almost reached the stage where it is cheaper to replace when the ink runs out!

3. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Why not give this a go? IIRC the 500 one fits the 600 but you should check ;)

4. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this problem before with 2 or 3 different inkjet printers from epson. In the past I have tried to resolve the issue, but without much success. Even dismantling the printer with a view to cleaning the heads was impossible - you cannot get the units out very easily.

Don't waste money getting the printer repaired, you'll get better value for money if you just go and buy a new printer. I bought an Epson 830 Photo earlier this year and I'm very pleased with it. I can also get a four black and four colour cartridges from choice staionery for about 35 quid. I know this invalidates the warranty, but I object to paying £40 for two 'official' carts.

The only other thing you can try is some of this cartridge flush solution that rct has found, though I've never used these before.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,758
    I decided to get a cheap laser printer for printing letters etc and just use the inkjet one for colour printing. Samsung do some incredible little laser printers for just under £100 (bought mine from DABS). We have sold lots of these to our customers and have not had any problems so far and they are cheap to run.

6. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I have twice returned printers that were years out of warranty to epson, it might be worth having a call, see what they can offer you. The numbers are all on the epson website. In the first instance, the servicing company actually lost the printer, and epson gave me the latest model of it, fully boxed no less, for nothing! The 2nd printer, my 1270 Photo, got broken in a freak cartridge changing incident (the contacts for the chip on the cartridge got ripped off) this printer was fixed in under 7 working days.

Cost to me: Nothing!

Unbelievable service in my experience.