1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson Photo Printer Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by barneybelly, Oct 16, 2003.

1. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just about to purchase a new printer as am really fed up of the price of HP cartridges for my Deskjet 840c!!!!:mad:

Have seen the Epson sp900 at PC world (sorry) for £99 but have seen the Epson photo 915 at ebuyer for £114.
    Is it worth the extra £14 to go for the 915 or is there not much difference??
    Or alternatively can anyone recommend a similar alternative around the same price taking into account cheap cartridges, performance & link up with a digi camera.

Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Don't be sorry, as Dixons/PC World are the only retailer of this printer :mad: . It is a good printer with very good reviews, but it normally retails for £150 and is only on special offer at the moment.
    The 915 is not an upgrade to the 900, they are different printers. The 900 is capable of printing directly onto printable CD-R/DVD-R and this tends to be its main selling point as the only other consumer printer to be able to do this (full colour/full coverage) is the bigger brother, the 950, which is a LOT more expensive.
    If you want to now, or ever think you will, print to CD's etc then this is the printer to get and at the discounted price is a great buy.

Mark.

p.s. its also dam good at printing photos :D

3. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Epsons are good printers. Just hope you never need to use Epson's support!

My own personal experience is as follows:-

* They never reply to any emails sent to their support area

* If you phone, you have to navigate through several menus before you get to where you want. I then waited, on average 30 minutes (this is not an exageration), before either giving up or, on only 2 out of about 10 attempts, finally speaking to someone. On the 2 occasions I did get to speak to someone, whilst it was about the same thing, I got conflicting answers.

I know from other forums that I am not alone in experiencing this level of support from Epson.

Sorry to have to post this, but poor / terrible / non-existant support from companies is one of my biggest hates!

4. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Mark,
    I've been thinking of buying a new printer - and have looked at the 950 - which as you point out is a LOT more expensive than the 900 - do you think it's worth the extra dosh?

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The advantage of the 950 over the 900 is that it has individual ink tanks. The 900 has a combined colour tank.
    If printing a large amount then you might make back the extra cost, but for occasional use you are very unlikely to. Print quality is about the same for both.

Mark.

6. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks very much Mark - sounds like the 900 is the one to get.

7. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    On a side note, i would say my experience of Epson customer service is exceptional. On two occasions i have had printers break on my 2 years out of warranty, and they have been fixed with no cost to myself. Even more amazingly, when i had to send my sick photo 1270 off to be fixed, it came back within the week.