1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson P-2000

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by sprint blue, Jun 18, 2005.

1. sprint blue

sprint blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

I've just ordered an Epson P-2000.

Have read a lot of good reviews about it but there is still one thing that I'm not sure about.

In many ways the Epson can be regarded as a portable photo album and I was wondering if it would be possible to download existing photos from my laptop.

Oh......and another thing. How would you rate the sound quality of music being played back through a decent set of headphones.

Thanks very much. :hiya:

2. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Along the same lines I am currently reviewing storage devices - what drew you to the Epson ? Did you look at others ?
    Going to the States in 2 weeks so may be tempted to purchase there.
    If its got usb it should be capable of downloads from laptop.

3. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    When connected to a PC, it acts as a USB2.0 hard drive - i would imagine if you put JPEGs on with the right tree structure it will be able to play them back just fine. Sound quality i'm not sure on, but i can't see it being TOO far off the quality of iPod & co.

I looked long and hard at buying one, but ultimately it was slightly too expensive, i spent another £100 and just got a laptop off ebay with better battery life, lovely 1400x1050 screen and all other manner of benefits, but then again, if size is an issue, the Epson still looks to be great device.

4. sprint blue

sprint blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Lurcher,

Thanks for your response.

I did consider the Innoplus Phototainer and Smartdisk Flashtrax and while both seem good enough, the Epson just edges it with that screen.

If you are interested in getting one and are going to The States, then you'll be getting a bargain compared to the UK.

5. sprint blue

sprint blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your reply SeaneyC.

It's good to know that photos from my laptop can be transferred.

They are helluva expensive for what they are.........but I'm a sucker for a gimmick.

Epson must have seen me coming. :suicide:

6. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Personally, i think they're actually quite a reasonable price for what they are, AMAZING screen, direct print to epson printers, output for TV, playmovies and music etc etc, native CF and SD support (plus transfer is pretty quick!!) all in all makes for a pretty decent package for £300. Only letdown is the battery life is a bit rubbishy :( Still, for it's size it's a quality bit of kit :)

7. jayell

jayell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just joined.

Got one of these for emptying my CF cards of digital photos when travelling with my dSLR (no need for laptop). I'd like a car charging adaptor, but don't think one will arrive so i may have to buy another battery.

Last time i played back a ripped movie i experienced bad sync problems between audio and video. This was with firmware 2.02. Today i noticed that firmware 2.04 had been released, but have not tried it.

Overall its a fab unit for what i want. To me its a great image tank.

J

8. busterboy

busterboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I bought the PD70X and I can tell you the speed of this device is truly outstanding. I can transfer my 2Gb CF card FULL... on to this storage device in less than 3 minutes... :thumbsup:
    The only downside is there is no viewer but that isnt a problem for me..

It takes 4 AA batteries which just seem to last forever, Comes with a mains charger plus a ciggy lighter charger too for on site charging.. :)

[​IMG]

9. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I was looking to get someting like this......but for me, it just seemed cheaper to get more CF cards...1gb Elite Pro's at around £25 on Ebay can't be bad?

Even on my 3 weeker to California, only used around 4gig.. :eek: but that was jpeg not RAW.

10. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    You got any more info on these things? I'm after something to back my CF onto as I fill them up (just for added security rather than viewing them) and this seems perfect - and much more convenient than lugging my powerbook about.

11. busterboy

busterboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi tomson, Have a look here for more info.. :thumbsup:

12. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
  13. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of ordering one of these,

I bought a Canon S2 IS digital camera for my Florida holiday next april (wanted to get good with it so ordered early)

I have a 2GB SD card but will want to take movies while in florida and the 2GB card fills up in 15mins of movie recording so thought the P-2000 will be great for dumping Videos/Pictures onto with bonus of been able to watch them

best price i seen is £300 from pixmania with a voucher i got, looking at U.S prices there not much cheaper they all seem to be about $600

Do i get now or wait til Florida?

14. ih8modem

ih8modem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I picked one of these up for 99 quid and so far I am well impressed with it.

It's a little more bulky than the other device types out there, but for the same price as most devices with no screen, it has a screen FM radio , can playback certain movies etc.

It's not as nice as the Epson 4000 or even the 2000 , but for the price I would rather have two of these, and double back up my pictures.

http://www.smartdisk.com/eWeb/smartdiskus/www/staticpages/FlashtraxXT.asp