Epson LS500W reduce brightness?

RBridges

Novice Member
Reaction score
Recently bought an Epson LS500W projector. Even on the 'Eco setting' with 50% light output it is still very bright (especially the whites). Is there a way to turn the light output down further?

Recently bought an Epson LS500W projector. Even on the 'Eco setting' with 50% light output it is still very bright (especially the whites). Is there a way to turn the light output down further?
What size is your screen and is it too bright for SDR or HDR content?

What size is your screen and is it too bright for SDR or HDR content?
I'm projecting onto a wall painted in a matt blue/grey colour, so I would not think that that is very reflective. Not ideal without a proper screen but the picture is great (at least compared to our old projector). The width of the projected image is 220cm. In the settings there is a 'light output' setting which you can set to 50% (the lowest setting). There is a separate 'brightness' setting which you can turn down, but that then seems to affect the contrast. At the moment it is just a bit too bright... even reading subtitles gives me a headache. Any ideas welcome!

You could try turning down the contrast setting?
Yep, I am experimenting with all the image settings (of which there are many). It would be easier if there were some kind of pre-set to do this, but maybe need to do this manually.

Yep, I am experimenting with all the image settings (of which there are many). It would be easier if there were some kind of pre-set to do this, but maybe need to do this manually.
That's the problem with the LS500 it's a very bright UST Projector. But as i said maybe lowering the contrast setting from 50 down to about 35 and see if that dims the image a bit better for you?

I agree for certain movies and in a dark room turning down to 30% or 25% would work. Not sure why 50% is the lowest output. I got some max contrast paint from screen goo which is mid grey and that help. Much better than a white wall. You need a litre though for 120" minimum and its a bit pricey although worth it.

What settings do you use? I created a thread for setting but not had any replies yet.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom