Epson LS500 or LG HU85LS

Too Tall

I'm looking at moving my lounge around and the new layout will be more conducive to a UST projector. I currently have an Epson TW9300 with a 135" 21:9 alr screen.

I'll get a 120" ust alr screen. Probably the vividstorm.

The two USTs on my short list are the ls500 and the hu85ls. I'm looking for advice from people that have seen both.

I'm not a gamer so the lower input lag on the ls500 is not a factor.

My main criteria are picture quality (with and without ambient light) and black levels.

Which is better?

Thanks.

mudshark

Distinguished Member
I own the LG and a 100” Vividstorm ALR and I think the image quality is stunning. The unit has to be butted right up the base of the screen, in fact I had to buy a right angled kettle plug adapter and a right angled HDMI adapter to ensure I could fill the whole screen.

I also own a LG 65” CX Oled and being honest, at night the image quality is on a par and the black levels, for me, are more than adequate.

I also love LGs OS and magic remote, it just feels like a normal TV and native apps work fine.

I considered the LS500 but I just think it’s fugly and it needs to be too far from the screen, unlike the LG.

I picked the LG up from Amazon Warehouse for just over £2k and it didn’t have a mark on it.

Super happy.

JWalker1

I am considering the same 2 myself. Not hijacking but piggybacking, interested in high ambient light conditions as I don't have great light control.

Would be replacing a large TV as you can never have "big enough".

mudshark

Distinguished Member
I watched the Norwich game Saturday at 3pm on it and it was fine. I haven’t got much ambient lighting in the lounge but the curtains were open and there were no problems.

freddy24

Novice Member
I'm looking at moving my lounge around and the new layout will be more conducive to a UST projector. I currently have an Epson TW9300 with a 135" 21:9 alr screen.

I'll get a 120" ust alr screen. Probably the vividstorm.

The two USTs on my short list are the ls500 and the hu85ls. I'm looking for advice from people that have seen both.

I'm not a gamer so the lower input lag on the ls500 is not a factor.

My main criteria are picture quality (with and without ambient light) and black levels.

Which is better?

Thanks.
I have Epson LS500 and its projection quality is top-notch. The only con of LS500 is its speakers. I don't recommend using them. It is also right that you need to place it a bit farther from the screen/wall, but I don't mind as far as the colors are vibrant and realistic, blacks are decent, and the overall quality is sharper and punchier. I have also reviewed LS500 in my best Epson projectors guide. I also own an LGHU85LA being a collector, I love my LG for gaming, but for a home theater (bat cave) environment, I would give a slight edge to my LS500.
I got nothing against LG, but Epson's display is much better. You have to see it to believe it.
It is just my personal opinion. But, I would recommend LS500 over LG if you are not into gaming as you have mentioned.

Spike 2013

Novice Member
Interesting been looking at these two UST projectors thinking the colours would be better on the LS500 wish I could compare them in person, looking for a good deal in the Black Friday sales in November to buy a UST or normal short throw laser projector.

Don't mind the looks or longer throw distance and the lag is more then good enough for my gaming needs on LS500.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom