Epson launches EH-TW7000 and EH-TW7100 4K projectors - news discussion

What is the screen size?

Screen size 120", throw is quite long at 5.5m to a projector bracket on the rear wall. It's a dark cellar, but the walls are magnolia and the ceiling white.

Unfortunately the bracket is slightly off center so I need about 25cm horizontal lens shift, which eliminates most options other than the Epson; the majority only do vertical shift.

Either option will be a good upgrade, but I'm surprised to hear one person say the TW7000 doesn't match the old TW6700 for 1080 content... I think I'll wait until I've seen more reviews.

Screen size 120", throw is quite long at 5.5m to a projector bracket on the rear wall. It's a dark cellar, but the walls are magnolia and the ceiling white.

Unfortunately the bracket is slightly off center so I need about 25cm horizontal lens shift, which eliminates most options other than the Epson; the majority only do vertical shift.

Either option will be a good upgrade, but I'm surprised to hear one person say the TW7000 doesn't match the old TW6700 for 1080 content... I think I'll wait until I've seen more reviews.

This review for the HC3200, US name of the TW7000:

Also this one:

But I have some doubts regarding this review. It tries to make the TW7000/HC3200 seem washed out compared to the TW7100/HC3800. Especially in the starfield comparison.
The screenshot with the game seems photoshopped.

Also they claim that the TW7000 does not have an iris. The manual, that is for both models, does not mention the TW7000 not having it.
EH-TW7000
PC specifications page claims the HC3200 has an iris:
Epson Home Cinema 3200 3LCD Projector

The 7000 most definitely does have an auto iris. Mine gives me the option to enable/disable it as I please.

Check out this comparison, the side-by-side @ 3:30 says it all - not good!

Hi which PJ can you recommend between HC3800, UHD51 or W3550.
I have my projector in ceiling mount and 120" Tab Tension Grandview screen. Normally I don't blackened the room completely since it's livingroom but on occations I can.

Yeah but still I see no point in buying the more expensive tw7400 now.

The TW7400 has an overall better picture quality, more lens shift, motorized lenses, is quieter, covers more of the WCG with or without the filter.
The TW7100 is less heavy, smaller, brighter, has a 18GB HDMI chip.

Does anyone know how the TW7000 compares to the Optoma UHD51 with 4K? I have the UHD51 and its great, but I do see rainbows, so have been on the lookout for a budget LCD 4K projector, but dont want a downgrade on image quality.

Hi which PJ can you recommend between HC3800, UHD51 or W3550.
I have my projector in ceiling mount and 120" Tab Tension Grandview screen. Normally I don't blackened the room completely since it's livingroom but on occations I can.

We
Does anyone know how the TW7000 compares to the Optoma UHD51 with 4K? I have the UHD51 and its great, but I do see rainbows, so have been on the lookout for a budget LCD 4K projector, but dont want a downgrade on image quality.
Hi does the 51 have 3d?

We

Hi does the 51 have 3d?
I tried optoma and have 7400 now (had epson 6600 before). Personally, it will be all upgrade for you, as you said, rainbow is destroying all other benefit optoma have and I find with the exact same conclusion. Even 6600 older model is much bezter due to 0 rainbow effect. any 7xxx series drom epson, you will be delighted. reconsider at least 7400 due to much quiter fans, which is deal breaker for most mid range projektors.

Dear Friends

I have a problem with strange noise/buzzing in EH-TW7100. It's more audible in ECO mode. So after couple of hours I have figured it out, what is doing such noise/buzzing and it's 4K Enhancement, which is:

Is it normal, when it's enabled there is a buzzing sound from projector, sometimes it is louder and even like vibrating. Projector EH-TW7100 is a brand new from 03.12.2019. Should I contact with Epson and use Warranty? Will they replace my unit with the new one, or every unit has got such annoying sound with 4K Enhancement enabled?

I have projector on shelf near my viewing position and it's more annoying then fan and air noise.

Maybe other owners of EH-TW7100 or EH-TW7000 have the same problem?

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Sincerely
sadly, this is very normal. these are hd projectors, just turn off 4k enhancement at all, it will not add any more detail or more sharp picture, only opposite. picture will be a little more blurry ;) problem solved... I never use it even on my 7400... its useless feature really. If so, use only native 4k content like uhd discs and than it is 24p, which will not create that annoying noise.

I tried optoma and have 7400 now (had epson 6600 before). Personally, it will be all upgrade for you, as you said, rainbow is destroying all other benefit optoma have and I find with the exact same conclusion. Even 6600 older model is much bezter due to 0 rainbow effect. any 7xxx series drom epson, you will be delighted. reconsider at least 7400 due to much quiter fans, which is deal breaker for most mid range projektors.
TO be honest I'm. More than happy with the fan nise, it's non existant for me, or should I say I just don't notice it

TO be honest I'm. More than happy with the fan nise, it's non existant for me, or should I say I just don't notice it
good for you than. my previous pj had similar fan noise and I survived it too :)

I'm looking at maybe changing for a 51 if interested, I have the 7000

sadly, this is very normal. these are hd projectors, just turn off 4k enhancement at all

As I have the TW9400 I can comment on how this enchantment works. When watching regular 1080p content, 4k enchantment will work the same as antialiasing in video games. The pixels add-ed will make screen door invisible (if this is an issue for your) and will make jugged lines go away, if you watch something like DVD 576 p.

When watching 4k content, the 4k enchantment will actually help the projector resolv 4k resolution (details) very good. From my personal experice, watching 4k content with 4k enchantment on is much sharper and with far better details than watching 4k content with enchantment off. But here is the problem. The TW9400, even if it's using the same 3LCD shifting technology as his smaller brothers, it is equipped with superior optical parts. It has very good glass.
So resolving the 4k details with this 3LCD tech is very dependent on how good the optics are. DLP on the other hand can resolve 4k resolution easier with cheap optics.

As I have the TW9400 I can comment on how this enchantment works. When watching regular 1080p content, 4k enchantment will work the same as antialiasing in video games. The pixels add-ed will make screen door invisible (if this is an issue for your) and will make jugged lines go away, if you watch something like DVD 576 p.

When watching 4k content, the 4k enchantment will actually help the projector resolv 4k resolution (details) very good. From my personal experice, watching 4k content with 4k enchantment on is much sharper and with far better details than watching 4k content with enchantment off. But here is the problem. The TW9400, even if it's using the same 3LCD shifting technology as his smaller brothers, it is equipped with superior optical parts. It has very good glass.
So resolving the 4k details with this 3LCD tech is very dependent on how good the optics are.
I can sign this post. I can maybe add, that you can achieve screen door disappear even with 4k enhancement off and to tweak with several settings even within native 1080p (line thickers, sharpness etc) Or if its too difficult for some novices, just decrease picture enhancements to level, where it dissapear. What I do is keeping picture of BD movies extra sharp, but I play exactly with lines settings and screen door effect not visible any more.

Personally I have no problems with screen door efect even if my viewing distance is 3m away from 120 inch screen but there are people out there with much better eyesight.

So again, these projectors rely on good quality optics in order to achive good sharpness. TW9400 it's a very sharp projector and it can resolve 4k details very decent despite 3LCD limmitations in this regard. On the other hand DLP projectors are very sharp and can resolve very good 4k details because of DLP technology thus allowing for a cheaper optics.

If you take, for example, the optics from OPTOMA UHD 50/51 and you put it on Epson's projectors, the image will be utterly trash becouse 3LCD doesn't do well with cheap optics.
On the other hand if you take the optics from TW9400 and you put it on a DLP, you will end up with something like BenQ W11000 , which can resolve 4k as good as a native 4k projector. But still the on/off contrast is only half of Epson's 9400.

From what I have read, the image projected by TW9400 is the pinnacle of 3LCD technology in regards of everything, from black levels, native contrast, sharpness, etc. (I will leve out of disccusion the proffesional, very expensive projectors used in movie theaters, becouse those cost a fortune).

Epson is the only major player that has hold on this LCD technology and invested a lot of money to be able to deliver good products out of it. Others have gone for DLP , which is the easy way. We are fortunate becouse otherwise now we could not get decent black levels, beautifull vivid colors and good native contrast without paying a lot of money for LCos projectors which, let's face it, many of us can't afford.

Last edited:
In regards to the color space switching is it not possible to get it to do automatically? The Shield can switch in regards to source will the Epson not do the same?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom