Epson launches EH-TW7000 and EH-TW7100 4K projectors - news discussion

Had an email from Epson: "You have chosen a very popular product from Epson. Unfortunately, due to the increased demand, we are awaiting further stock. For this reason, the delivery of your order will be delayed". So now the delivery has been pushed back to next week at the earliest! Hopefully it does come next week and isnt delayed further.

Hi All,

I am an epson devotee after having a 3200 then a 6600. The later recently failed but fortunately I had 6 years warranty, Richersounds have said the unit is being replaced and I have a store credit for the original purchase price.

The 6600 was great at HD and I have no real intrest in 4k as most of my content is HD anyway. I am getting confused though as the 7000 claims a 40000:1 contrast which is lower than the 6600's and the 7100 is an extra £500 and offers built in speakers (not necessary but nice). The 7100 claims 100,000:1 contrast ratio.

Is the 7000 really that much lower or is it calculated off the HDR which uses a filter (I'm not intrested in HDR for the cinema room).

Has anyone bought one of these yet?

Hi, I had the same scenario with my 5300, which just stopped working. Again I had the Richersounds warranty and they gave me a full store credit (kudos to them as it was completely quibble free). Subsequently I purchased the 7000 and have just installed it (after finally sourcing a 10m HDMI cable that performed as claimed)

My initial thoughts are that the image is stunning (I can only compare to a Sanyo PLV 700 and the 5300, both HD rather than “4K”). The lens shift was really helpful given the difference in lens position between the projectors) In ECO mode, the picture is great and the projector near silent. The auto-iris that was quite intrusive on the 5300 (noisy) cannot be heard at all.

I have a dedicated room; I really wish I could now have a larger screen to really benefit from the increased resolution...in summary, really happy (so far) with the Epson. I had considered the alternate DLP offerings but that lack of throw ratio and lens shift etc made it impossible for me.

I got the 7100 on Wednesday, first impressions are great, picture line up really easy. It is replacing my BenQ W1400

Hello. The only difference between the 7100 and the 7000 are the built-in speakers and more contrast?

My initial thoughts are that the image is stunning (I can only compare to a Sanyo PLV 700 and the 5300, both HD rather than “4K”).

I just installed my TW7000 and the picture quality is really really nice … besides the blacks … more greyish than black … i wonder if the old tw6700 would be the better choice (more contrast and i dont need 4k) …

Hello. The only difference between the 7100 and the 7000 are the built-in speakers and more contrast?

From another forum:
Epson's specifications show the 3800 with better contrast than the 3200, just as they showed the 3700 with better contrast than the 3100 and the 3500 with better contrast than the 3000. In real world testing the 3100 measured the same native black level as the 3700 and the 3000 measured the same native black level as the 3500. There's no reason to believe the 3800 and 3200 are any different in native black level.

This is especially true if the room is not treated for wall reflections, which will wash out the blacks/contrast.

HC3800=TW7100
HC3200=TW7000

Watched the F1 and a couple of films. Really enjoying not having to set my Sky TV to 1080 every time I want to watch a film on the projector. Loads of picture alignment and adjustment options, can’t wait to get my colour meter on it :)

Last edited:
i installed the 7100 at the weekend and so far very mixed feelings. the good is that it's incredibly bright, even on eco setting we are trying to find ways to adjust things so we don't blind ourselves watching movies at night. with good 4k movie content and youtube streaming it's stunning no doubt. the bad so far is that for any content which is sub-par, including most amazon prime and netflix content we are seeing distorsion in the blacks and artifacts to the point that sadly it may have to go back unless we can pinpoint the cause. this is running from a new high spec pc through hdmi with all default graphics settings and windows hdr setting on (with it off we found content would show very darkly as though the brightness had been set to 0). any tips on what the cause may be would be very helpful!

I agree about it being very bright; I have been darkening my cinema room as a result [more black paint!]. I haven't played around with any of the settings yet and the only Prime show I have watched is Carnival Row and I didn't notice anything that I dont see on my 4K TVs. , i.e. it's not great material full stop and I think it just is more obvious because of the screen size. Fully downloaded material from Sky and YouTube looks really good [to me?]. I am hunting a 4K player to really put it trough its paces.

i installed the 7100 at the weekend and so far very mixed feelings. the good is that it's incredibly bright, even on eco setting we are trying to find ways to adjust things so we don't blind ourselves watching movies at night. with good 4k movie content and youtube streaming it's stunning no doubt. the bad so far is that for any content which is sub-par, including most amazon prime and netflix content we are seeing distorsion in the blacks and artifacts to the point that sadly it may have to go back unless we can pinpoint the cause. this is running from a new high spec pc through hdmi with all default graphics settings and windows hdr setting on (with it off we found content would show very darkly as though the brightness had been set to 0). any tips on what the cause may be would be very helpful!

Post a picture of the artifacts?

I finally got the 7000 at the start of the week and I'm really happy with it. The colours are so much nicer than the DLP projectors I had and the image is bright even on the eco setting. The two 18Gb HDMI 2.0 ports are a nice bonus, as the ViewSonic PX747 I tried before it only had one 2.0 port, so I can leave my 4k HDR capable Roku stick in one port and use the other for my PC/PS4.

Hi,

I bought TW7000. I have apple TV 4K and LG sk8 not supporting 4K passthrough. If I connect APT to first HDMI and soundbar to second HDMI, can I get any sound? If I got the sound, would it be dolby atmos?

I am considering buying this projector but have some concerns on the comments about the brightness. The projector will be viewed in a cinema room with almost total darkness could anyone advise if this would turn out to be too bright.

Thanks for any advice.

I finally got the 7000 at the start of the week and I'm really happy with it. The colours are so much nicer than the DLP projectors I had and the image is bright even on the eco setting. The two 18Gb HDMI 2.0 ports are a nice bonus, as the ViewSonic PX747 I tried before it only had one 2.0 port, so I can leave my 4k HDR capable Roku stick in one port and use the other for my PC/PS4.
are you satisfy with noise it produce?

Anyone seen/compared the TW7000 with the TW71000? Just wondering if the extra £600 is worth it for the improved contrast? (Dont care about the built in speakers)

Looking to upgrade from my elderly Panasonic PT-AX100E which has finally packed in.

I'd be interested in the contrast ratio comparison as well. I was going to buy the TW-7400 but opted for the 7000 due to its size.

I'm battling with instant regret as while the image is nice and sharp, the black levels are quite washed out. While I'm not in a treated room, most walls are dark grey apart from the ceiling.
Is the room the main factor for poorer contrast, or would I see a marked improvement with a TW7400?

I'd be interested in the contrast ratio comparison as well. I was going to buy the TW-7400 but opted for the 7000 due to its size.

I'm battling with instant regret as while the image is nice and sharp, the black levels are quite washed out. While I'm not in a treated room, most walls are dark grey apart from the ceiling.
Is the room the main factor for poorer contrast, or would I see a marked improvement with a TW7400?
Well we have a 7400, which is currently used in our living room on a 100" screen. Our living room is rather bright which doesn't do the contrast any favours, obviously better as it gets darker outside.

We did however, have the 7400 in a dedicated bat cave, dark curtains, walls, carpet, and the difference between contrast from the living room to the bat cave is certainly noticeable. The bat cave looks better.

Maybe a darker/grey screen material could help, a bright white projector screen reflects and throws light back into the room, im considering a darker material maybe, for when we get our dedicated bat cave back in action.

Last edited:

We've had a 6700 for some years and have been very happy with it. When I saw the 7000/7100 had been launched, we bought one expecting 6700++ picture quality.
However, it didn't quite work out like that - both of us thought the HD picture was not as good as the 6700 and even the 4k blurays didn't seem that much better. Sadly by the time we realised this our old 6700 had been sold!
Our room is compromised for viewing by light ceilings and walls and a log burner so perhaps they may work better in a darker environment. Or possibly we had a poor example...
We decided to return the 7000 and went on to buy a 7400. Although its a big beast and more difficult to hide away, its picture in both HD and UHD is sublime. I really like the motorised lens feature.
Once its run in I might get it calibrated but given the limitations of our room I'm slightly dubious that we will see much of an improvement. If you can return your 7000 and stretch the budget then its worth having a look at the Epson outlet store in eBay. Our "open box" 7400 was just £1350 but as far as I can see has never been touched and the box was sealed as new. Just be sure you accommodate its bulk!
Russ

Dear Friends

I have a problem with strange noise/buzzing in EH-TW7100. It's more audible in ECO mode. So after couple of hours I have figured it out, what is doing such noise/buzzing and it's 4K Enhancement, which is:

Using the projector's 4K Enhancement Technology, you can receive 4K (3840 × 2160) signals and project ultra high-definition images. This technology shifts each pixel diagonally by 0.5 pixels to double the image resolution.

Is it normal, when it's enabled there is a buzzing sound from projector, sometimes it is louder and even like vibrating. Projector EH-TW7100 is a brand new from 03.12.2019. Should I contact with Epson and use Warranty? Will they replace my unit with the new one, or every unit has got such annoying sound with 4K Enhancement enabled?

I have projector on shelf near my viewing position and it's more annoying then fan and air noise.

Maybe other owners of EH-TW7100 or EH-TW7000 have the same problem?

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Sincerely

Dear Friends

I have a problem with strange noise/buzzing in EH-TW7100. It's more audible in ECO mode. So after couple of hours I have figured it out, what is doing such noise/buzzing and it's 4K Enhancement, which is:

Is it normal, when it's enabled there is a buzzing sound from projector, sometimes it is louder and even like vibrating. Projector EH-TW7100 is a brand new from 03.12.2019. Should I contact with Epson and use Warranty? Will they replace my unit with the new one, or every unit has got such annoying sound with 4K Enhancement enabled?

I have projector on shelf near my viewing position and it's more annoying then fan and air noise.

Maybe other owners of EH-TW7100 or EH-TW7000 have the same problem?

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Sincerely
Is this buzzing apparent with all refresh rates? The 7300/9300 also emits a buzzing sound as a result of the E-shift but only when receiving a 60hz signal and is considered normal.

Dear 494930

Is this buzzing apparent with all refresh rates? The 7300/9300 also emits a buzzing sound as a result of the E-shift but only when receiving a 60hz signal and is considered normal.

It is on all possible refresh rates. I have tested all possible scenarios and in every of it the problem is the same.

Sincerely

We've had a 6700 for some years and have been very happy with it. When I saw the 7000/7100 had been launched, we bought one expecting 6700++ picture quality.
However, it didn't quite work out like that - both of us thought the HD picture was not as good as the 6700 and even the 4k blurays didn't seem that much better. Sadly by the time we realised this our old 6700 had been sold!

Hi I'm looking to upgrade my ancient Sony VPL-HS60 projector and was initially looking at the Epson 6700 but it seems the 7000 is the latest version, the spec looks much the same except it does 4k so I was surprised to see the comment above.

All my content is 1080p I'm not interested in 4k other than future proofing, HD picture quality is the priority, should I be looking for a 6700 instead? Or is your 7000 faulty?

Would be interested to hear from anyone else who has experience of both the 6700 and 7000.

ETA: from googling I see it doesn't really "do" 4k, it's just pixel shifting a 1080 image... I wonder if the 7000 displays 1080 content better (as well as the 6700) if that is disabled?

Last edited:
Hi I'm looking to upgrade my ancient Sony VPL-HS60 projector and was initially looking at the Epson 6700 but it seems the 7000 is the latest version, the spec looks much the same except it does 4k so I was surprised to see the comment above.

All my content is 1080p I'm not interested in 4k other than future proofing, HD picture quality is the priority, should I be looking for a 6700 instead? Or is your 7000 faulty?

Would be interested to hear from anyone else who has experience of both the 6700 and 7000.

ETA: from googling I see it doesn't really "do" 4k, it's just pixel shifting a 1080 image... I wonder if the 7000 displays 1080 content better (as well as the 6700) if that is disabled?

The Epson's out of the box settings are not that great and could use some correction.

The 4K the Epson's do is a "simulation" in which ~4m pixels are addressable.

The source needs to be 4K. But even with a 4K source, it might have originally been shot at 2K. There are only around 80 titles shot in 4K.
Games are capable of 4K.

There are other aspects of a projector that can enhance the sharpness: lenses, LCD panels, contrast, etc.

The TW7000/7100 can accept and tone map a 4K HDR signal, which often have higher bit rate than HD SDR. If the tone mapper does a good job, then the HDR signal can look better than the SDR.

A user has tested the TW7000 and TW7100 and claims the TW7100 is better in dark scenes:

The previous generation of these projectors in the US were the HC3100 and HC3700. Outside the US only the HC3700 was sold, as the TW6700.

So the user above has tested the better version of the previous generation with the lesser one of this generation.

Thanks for the reply. I'm comparing the TW6700 and TW7000 because they are the same price. One thing that stands out is the TW6700 has much better contrast ratio (70,000:1 versus 40,000:1).

I guess the TW7000 compromises 1080 image quality somewhat for pseudo 4k features. Maybe the old TW6700 will suit me better, as I have no 4k content.

Thanks for the reply. I'm comparing the TW6700 and TW7000 because they are the same price. One thing that stands out is the TW6700 has much better contrast ratio (70,000:1 versus 40,000:1).

I guess the TW7000 compromises 1080 image quality somewhat for pseudo 4k features. Maybe the old TW6700 will suit me better, as I have no 4k content.

Native contrast for all of these projectors is somewhere around 2000/2500:1. I don't even know if with the iris they reach that high.

Using the right settings, not just on the projector but the rest of the equipment is required to get the right image.

What is the screen size?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom