Epson launch three 3D home cinema projectors - news discussion

If they live up to that spec Inc the 'deep blacks'.... Bargain!,

Wish they'd do something reasonably priced, white, with lens shift. Annoys me no end that I would have to buy the TW6600W with wireless HDMI guff, at a £300 premium, to get a white lens shifting EPSON these days. Grrr!

You could always buy the black one and a can of spray paint.

Regards

Mark

The (claimed) increase in contrast gives me hope that a replacement for my increasingly temperamental 3200 has arrived with the 5300, but it still seems a liitle lightweight to successfully run without sounding like a swarm of slightly angry bees overhead.

Yeah, it's always a compromise. 1080p, quiet and lens shift at the same seems to have a ticket price north of £1000. I'll stick with my Panasonic AX200 for a while longer.

Wonder how these will fare vs the BenQ W1070 and Optomas?

Rainbows have never been an issue for me.

What will these be like for motion blur? I have been looking at dlp's projectors as the lcd ones in my price range had much lower contrast ratio but these specs look decent.

I will be watching a number of fast paced action films so not sure on the motion from LCDs. Has anyone got a Epson TW5200?

Very interested to see a review on this. Epson have started selling them on their website as of now I see. Hopefully AVF will get a review sample of all three!

Does the 5210 have horizontal lens shift? The UserGuide shows that there is a manual/mechanical slider which suggests a physical movement of the lens rather than a digital alteration.

lens.PNG

Doesn't look anything special from the review?

I bought a 5210 from the Epson site about 10days ago, but they have no stock. Ended up cancelling and buying from German Amazon site and saving £50 from UK price.

I bought a 5210 from the Epson site about 10days ago, but they have no stock. Ended up cancelling and buying from German Amazon site and saving £50 from UK price.
Hi mate, just wondering have you got the projector yet? Also interested in it and would like to hear some thoughts

ordered the tw5300 from amazon.fr £479 with fast delivery. sold by beamer goes pro.

Hi mate, just wondering have you got the projector yet? Also interested in it and would like to hear some thoughts
Yes, it arrive quite quickly from Amazon.de. I'm very impressed. It's very quiet in anything but BrightCinema mode, and I didn't see the need for that mode, I run it on normal Cinema or Natural mode and it would appear that the fan noise is class leading.

Very happy with the picture quality, albeit I'm not as techy as most on here and I haven't had a PJ before, so have nothing to compare it to. I just display it on my white painted wall, I don't have a dedicated screen or anything.

I haven't tried 3D yet (don't have any glasses, unless my Panasonic TV ones work!).

One odd thing is that I site the PJ on a shelf at standing head height (1.8m), and at that height I have to tip the PJ significantly so that it displays on the wall, otherwise it is displaying half on the ceiling! I thought these things were built to project downwards as std as most people attach to ceiling. There is insufficient travel in the rotating feet to raise the back, so I built a custom angled stand. Do people just hang PJs from the ceiling at an angle pointing down?

That's great to hear. As for the half on the ceiling - From projector central

The Home Cinema 2040 (american version), on the other hand, has a very slight negative throw offset. When placed flat and level on a table, the bottom edge of the projected image is about 5% of the image height below the center of the lens. This can be both good and bad. On the good side, it allows you to put a bigger image on the wall since you can utilize more of the vertical space available. On the bad side, it means a ceiling mount will almost certainly require an extension tube.

I'm looking at a similar issue when mine arrives either Friday or Monday. I used have my old HS-20 on a shelf which is about 7ft odd off the ground. Looks like I'll have to do some tilting as well :( How much of an angle did you have to do on the stand? Any pictures would be great.

got my tw5300 today. it looks a definite step up from the old x345.

tried 3d with some amazon excelvan rf glasses and I get some like eyestrain feeling, like when I use a 3ds, but ive found I can lower the 3d effect using the slider on stereo scopic player.

I can hear the iris whirring away, though I think once you have a sound system running you wouldn't hear it. 3d mode makes the fan noisy, why they cant give us the option of eco mode on 3d I don't know.

sharpness isn't too bad though windows txt seems a little off focus especially if you take off image enhancement.

a youtube clip (starwars trailer) showed some blur when panning, but enabling frame int seemed to make things jerky or over processed (like TV).

I did try a sbs 3d which played well, but it seemed the frame rate was very high. I might have to have a fiddle with the pc and or projector.

I'm kinda hoping Epson will release a firmware update to address some of the issues, though when I checked for tw5200 firmware (the old version of this) I couldn't find any, so it doesn't look promising.

Yes, it arrive quite quickly from Amazon.de. I'm very impressed. It's very quiet in anything but BrightCinema mode, and I didn't see the need for that mode, I run it on normal Cinema or Natural mode and it would appear that the fan noise is class leading.

Very happy with the picture quality, albeit I'm not as techy as most on here and I haven't had a PJ before, so have nothing to compare it to. I just display it on my white painted wall, I don't have a dedicated screen or anything.

I haven't tried 3D yet (don't have any glasses, unless my Panasonic TV ones work!).

One odd thing is that I site the PJ on a shelf at standing head height (1.8m), and at that height I have to tip the PJ significantly so that it displays on the wall, otherwise it is displaying half on the ceiling! I thought these things were built to project downwards as std as most people attach to ceiling. There is insufficient travel in the rotating feet to raise the back, so I built a custom angled stand. Do people just hang PJs from the ceiling at an angle pointing down?

Just had a look in the manual (online) and maybe it's the projection setting?
Projection

Front, Front/Ceiling, Rear, Rear/Ceiling

Change this setting depending on how the pro- jector is installed.

Anyone know the throw ratio on these? I'd swap my benq if I could get a quieter projector ...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom