Epson issues with Blu Ray

zach3wr

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a 1080 Epson projector (do not have the specific model number at hand) that works fine with our Dishnetwork Joey receiver. But when I try to plug in my Blu Ray player (with the same HDMI cable that works fine on the Joey) the screen is completely blank.

I tried two different Blu Ray players. The first one nothing appeared on my screen. The second one, the Samsung logo showed up on the screen, but the screen again went blank when the DVD was loaded. Audio was playing on both DVD players, so the DVDs were working. I also tried three store-bought DVDs, so they weren't some bootlegs.

I have had this set up for about two years now and have never had an issue like this. The same DVD player worked a few weeks ago, and I tested an old DVD that I had watched a few weeks ago. The only changes that I have made are that I switched from a local cable carrier to Dish network. I also unplugged the projector last week so that it would not get a surge during a storm. Could this have changed a setting? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Are you sure it's a 1080p model? Sounds like a handshake problem to me. Can you try changing the output on the bluray player and retrying.

I'll have to check on the model and whether or not it is 1080p. I googled the handshake thing and it could potentially be that. The website suggested I turn off the projector and Blu Ray for 20 minutes, turn the projector on and then plug in the HDMI and turn on the Blu Ray. I'll try that tonight and if that doesn't work I'll look into changing the output if I can as well. Thanks for the tip!

After two months I still have not found a solution to this problem. I've tried unplugging everything and plugging it back in. I've tried to use the blu ray player without the Dish Joey plugged in.

It is very confusing because this same projector worked with the same Blu Ray player using the same HDMI cable dozens of times before this issue started. I've tried several Blu Ray players and several cables, but nothing has worked.

I could really use some help.

Have you tried changing the settings on the bluray player to a lower resolution? I had the same problem with my PS3 outputting 1080p when my PJ only receives 1080i. Did you establish the PJ model number?

My projector model is Powerlite Home Cinema 1080. It can and has played 1080p before. How would I go about changing my Blu Ray output? I know it depends on the specific Blu Ray player but is it that something you usually can find in the menu settings or is it more like a hardware thing (for example an A/V box that goes between the Blu Ray to the projector)?

I spoke with Epson and they believe that a board is malfunctioning and that I should just buy a new one or get this one serviced. I would wait until it no longer plays anything before buying a new one.

My last resort is maybe buying a HDMI splitter to plug both Dish and Blu Ray into that would extend to the projector. It probably will not work but who knows. It's strange that the Dish HDMI would work and not the Blu Ray. Maybe it takes a strange solution.

Thanks for all the help!

No the output will be in the menu settings. I will check mine and see if I can change it. Obviously done it on my PS3 but never needed to on BR player. I will get back later.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner I did forget and just remembered. I looked on my Sony bluray and it's in the setup menu.

It's strange that you can put a signal through the dish and not the blu-ray as this version of epson projector can display 1080p resolution. Have you tried the blu-ray player in any other devices to rule out that the blu-ray player doesn't have a fault?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom