Epson EMP-TW20 as a first pj

emcm0026

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As the title says im thinking of the above model as a first projector budget of £500 and limited to pcworld/currys as due to having vouchers. only use will be movies and xbox360 with also the hd dvd would these look as good as they currently do on my plasma tv?. Could this model handle 720p and 1080i from component input?, just new to this whole home cinema idea and looking for help advice from people who have used and tried this model or can suggest any other one that this company sells,

thanks for any help with this

This is not a bad first Pj if your limited to using currys/pc world, it is not a Hi def PJ just standard def but it will alow you to put a hi def signal to it but it will scale it down to fit its native resolution of 480lines.

My friend has one and it looks good with movies easy to setup never seen it with Xbox 360 as he does not have one.

But it should be ok, i have a SD plasma an 360 looks good on that but even better hi def on my sanyo z3.

hello emcm 0026,
also looking to by one of these projectors.
as it will be my first one and i know nothing about them,could you tell me if this projector can be connected to a satellite receiver with the rf out connection.
thanks.

hello emcm 0026,
also looking to by one of these projectors.
as it will be my first one and i know nothing about them,could you tell me if this projector can be connected to a satellite receiver with the rf out connection.
thanks.

No.

It has component, S Video, Composite and VGA connections. Does the satellite have S Video?

well I got this model today and for my first projector i have to say it looks great, been using the component through the xbox360 for dvds and have to say its gave me the wow factor i was missing for big movies. Still to get a proper screen still working out where to go for that any suggestions very welcome size 82inch. I would say if on a budget this seems a good model and choice, mine is only for a bedroom and for movies as ive already got 50inch plasma for tv, if anyone wants to see pics of the pj working be willing to post,

Again thanks to these forums and peoples write up reviews of products I feel ive made right choice.

I spent all my money on my first PJ a couple of years ago. I couldn't spend much on a screen so I got a £20 blackout blind from Argos. I am still using it as it worked out well. I have it from the ceiling and raise it up when I am not using it.

@ nwgarratt,
not sure about s video connection but it has these.
Connector Summary
1x LNB Input (F-Type)
1x IF Output (F-Type)
2x Scart (TV/VCR)
1x Video Output (RCA)
2x Audio L/R (RCA)
1x RS-232 (9-pin D-sub Female)
1x RF-Modulator TV Output
1x RF-Modulator Antenna Input
1x Push Terminal (Skew)
1x Push Terminal (Positioner)
cheers.

@ nwgarratt,
not sure about s video connection but it has these.
Connector Summary
1x LNB Input (F-Type)
1x IF Output (F-Type)
2x Scart (TV/VCR)
1x Video Output (RCA)
2x Audio L/R (RCA)
1x RS-232 (9-pin D-sub Female)
1x RF-Modulator TV Output
1x RF-Modulator Antenna Input
1x Push Terminal (Skew)
1x Push Terminal (Positioner)
cheers.

It doesn't have S Video.

The PJ doesn't have scart so, the only socket that would work is the composite. That is the Video Ouput RCA above. It is also the worse connection for quality so it will look rubbish at big sizes.

thanks for the reply.
are there any adapters you can buy for this model pj
for the different connectors on the sat receiver to give a better picture quality.

thanks for the reply.
are there any adapters you can buy for this model pj
for the different connectors on the sat receiver to give a better picture quality.

Check the setup for the satellite and see if it does s video through the scart (probably not as it looks quite old). Then, a scart to s video cable would work. It wouldn't do sound though so, you would have to hook up the audio L/R to the PJ as well.

You can get a scart to three phono (yellow, red and white) but the picture would be the same as the composite yellow socket.

thanks once again for the info.the receiver is a new model,so will have to do some more checking.

the projector comes with a RGB to scart adaptor but doesnt carry sound so audio would either have to be through an amp or fed to the projector with L/R audio

hope this helps

the projector comes with a RGB to scart adaptor but doesnt carry sound so audio would either have to be through an amp or fed to the projector with L/R audio

hope this helps

What do you mean by RGB to scart adapter?

Is it a component to scart like this?

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/YUV-RGB-SCART.html

This adapter is for only equipment that does component through the scart such as the Topfield VCR. It is rather misleading as a RGB scart won't work.

If that Satellite has RGB. This may work. It is a RGB scart to VGA cable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-SCART-To-VGA-cable/dp/B0002W69MY

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
the rgb to scart isnt like the one you posted, it has the rgb phono plugs that goes to a female scart socket that lets you plug a normal scart socket into it, sorry cant find a picture of it on the net jsut know the part number is
V12H005C29

the rgb to scart isnt like the one you posted, it has the rgb phono plugs that goes to a female scart socket that lets you plug a normal scart socket into it, sorry cant find a picture of it on the net jsut know the part number is
V12H005C29

Thanks, I know what you mean now.

thanks everybody for the replies.
think i will chance it and go for one of these projectors.

thanks everybody for the replies.
think i will chance it and go for one of these projectors.

It should be a great first projector. The first thing that made me go wow was the size. I went from a 28" widescreen TV to 80" widescreen. That is 9 times bigger.

Perhaps this will help. This is a page I made for my Panasonic AE100 when I got it. The Epson should equal or even be better. It has better contrast and brightness.

Look at the bottom pic to show the difference between TV and screen. Ignores the colours as I had the PJ set up wrong for that shot.

http://www.apah20.dsl.pipex.com/pj/pjsetup.htm

PS. The camera was an old one at only 1mpixel and it is actually quite to get a true to life picture unless you use a tripod. I just used the auto setting while holding the camera.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom