1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson Emp-tw10h

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pamph, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Pamph

Pamph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey There Does Anybody Know if this is still the best budget projector around. I have around £500-600 pound and would like to buy my first projector. I would also like to know if anybody has any screenshots for this projector or knows any where i can find some. Thanks Pamph

2. Pamph

Pamph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey There Also Wondering Which Is The Better Two Projectors Out Of The EPSON EMP-TW10H And The EPSON EMP-S1. Pamph

3. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The TW10H is a native 16:9 projector, designed for home cinema. The S1 is a 4:3 projector better suited for data projection.

4. Pamph

Pamph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It has a native 4:3 LCD panel with a resolution of 800x600. To display a 16:9 picture, the projector will simply turn off some rows of pixels at the top and bottom of the screen. The results are not as good as a native 16:9 projector.

6. Pamph

Pamph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah I see thats why i was gettin confused. i think that going by reviews and peoples opinions i'd say that the EPSON EMP-TW10H sounds like a good projector for watchin movies on. Do You Know anything about the Toshiba TLP-ET1 because ive heard its good but am not too sure.

7. Pamph

Pamph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the diff between a DLP and The Epson EMP-TW10H ?

8. roadrash

roadrash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tw10 is lcd and the other is obviously dlp totally different in the way they project images .
    my advice if its for the family then steer clear from dlp almost certainly one of the family will suffer from the dreaded rainbow effect i did ! lcd for me but some people have dlp with no probs at all just depends how your suited ,
    also for the money the tw10h is an incredible pj ,had one for several months but then sold it and bought the epson tw200 still lcd but 3 times the price ,in fact this is not an advert and i hope i helped but i am selling my tw200 in the classifieds kinda nearly meets your budget ,regards phil

9. Pamph

Pamph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How Much Would You Be Willing To Sell It To Me Today For? Is This Projector A Native 16:9 or 4:3? Thanks Pamph

10. roadrash

roadrash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. GladIReadThis

GladIReadThis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend it. It is the best you can buy for a small budget.
    Here is a link to a screen shot in my house.

http://gladireadthis.tripod.com/

Sorry, the picture does not do it justice because I am crap at taking photos. Buy it and you will not be disappointed

12. Pamph

Pamph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey there. Thank you very much for the screenshot and advice. I am defo going to buy this pj as it loks like the best i can get for my budget. Does anyone know anywhere that has it on offer at the moment. The best i have found is dabs, who have it for £505 with p&p. Pamph

13. Pamph

Pamph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just Seen The Projector On http://www.oyyy.co.uk for £474 inc P&P Bargin Going To Order It Tomorrow!!

14. Gordon WT

Gordon WT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  15. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    But the benq gives a much better image.

16. Gordon WT

Gordon WT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well, I've never seen the Epson but I imagine it has a better picture than the Toshiba ET1? If that is the case then I would prefer the Epson to the Benq because I prefer the picture on my ET1 to the picture on the Benq.

I'm not saying it's bad but with the supposed contrast level of the 5120 being more than 3 times the ET's then I expected a far better picture than I am getting....maybe it's faulty...who knows??

Gordon

17. GladIReadThis

GladIReadThis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is a very good price. I paid £570 for mine. Is the company OK though? If they are it is a bargain. If you are not sure, I would go with Dabs.
    The best thing about this projector is that the bulbs only cost £120 to replace as opposed to £250 + for others.

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I've not seen any comparative reviews between the TW10 and the 5120 and I'd be surprised if the 5120 was significantly, if at all, better.

Cybes is probably basing his comments on the CR specs and the fact that he bought a DLP which knocked the snot out of his early model LCD...PJ :)

19. dave_h34

dave_h34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    £525 plus pay nothing for 9 months at the mo! :thumbsup:

20. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    The TW10 is 800:1 contrast ratio which is very similar to my Panny AE200 which was 700:1 and was a great projector but the BenQ 6100 killed it with it's 2000:1 contrast ratio. Even the misses noted how blacks the black were and how much punchier the picture was.

The 5120 is probably a better PJ then the 6100 so I would imagine it would blow away the TW10h.

To put it into some perspective. Contrast ratio is key to a punchy gobsmacking 3-D type image. My PB6100 has a higher measured contrast ratio then the golden standard LCD machine, the AE700 as measured by a an Australian review website using the Ansi test and a light meter. This is a true real life measure of performance and a DLP machine over half the price of the AE700 in terms of contrast was the better performer.

I would imagine the 5120 is just the same (or better). You would not say get a TW10H in preference to the AE700 so why would you say get one in preference to the 5120 when the 5120 has a much better image.

If you not particularly sensitive to rainbows then it's a no brainer.

Also. When you get dust blobs. And you will get dust blobs. The Benq line of PJ's are really easy to take apart and clear the problem.
    I've heard that Epsons are quite tricky.

Whatever you go for will blow your socks off. There is no 'right' projector. They all have the pros and cons.

21. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I think assuming the AE200's performance is akin to the TW10H just because the CR's are similar is perhaps not the best basis to make these assumptions. Unless you've seen them side-by-side of course. All the comment I've seen is that LCD has advanced dramatically over the past year or two, in all aspects of performance.

...PJ :)

22. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Unless the TW10 is better real world CR then the AE700 then the 5120 is going to be significantly better.

23. deem

deem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A few pics of my TW10, taken this afternoon. The room was much brighter than it appears, as my camera has auto compenstated, but it gives you an idea. I only have blinds in the room, and it was sunny.

The pics arent great, but they may give you some idea.

http://www.saucedesign.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/PRO.htm

24. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That looks like a nice and bright picture!

I am on the verge of deciding betweein a TW10 and a Benq 5120 so I would appreciate some clarification from your experience.

Which colour mode does that correspond to?

How is SDE from 9ft back?

How is the contrast with a dark room at night?

25. dreeko

dreeko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im in the same position lucas although im leaning towards the epson due to possible rainbows and the cheaper bulb price ....let us know what you decide

26. john_lyng

john_lyng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just purchased this projector have it on a wall and it looks perfect. Getting a Blackout blind from Argos this weekend so hopefully look even better will get some screenshots when i do. Anyone have any hints on tweaking the setup?

27. Greyowl

Greyowl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    I've just purchased the epson tw10h from oyyy.co.uk with no problems. :thumbsup:
    Before getting this i had an old 3M MP7730, using a pc to run with it. The Epson now runs with the JVC TH-S55 kit i brought from http://www.sselectricals.com/model.php?ID=1912.
    Ive found no sde with it and i found the best results using progressive scan via component leads.

28. rapid

rapid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm considering getting a projector in the near future, a few months back I was looking at the TW10H - but I've now seen the Z3 is available at a very respectable price (bulb voucher/3yr warranty) - would this not be a better option?

Thanks
    R

29. Greyowl

Greyowl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just looked at the specs on the Z3 and it does look good. I chose the Epson because of lots of things that the 3m didn't have, better contrast,higher lumens, cheaper bulbs, and most of all better picture.

What ever your budget is, there's good and bad in all projectors. :lesson:

The Z3 looks good but maybe someone who owns one could give more detail on the picture quality.