1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson EMP-TW10H

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ewan, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Thinking about buying the Epson EMP-TW10H, is it any good?

2. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Yes :)

But it would be better if you checked it out first, or even read a few reviews.

3. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply :) There are not any home cinema shops where I live.

4. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Decent piccie (for £600), good connectivity, up to 3000hrs bulb life, 3 yr next day warranty (on projector, not bulb) & bulbs for £140 ish.

I have one :)

Delh

5. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    If the part of cyberspace u live in, is in the Midlands, u are welcome to come round & have a look at my TW10H

Delh

6. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one too. After a few modifications I made to the screen this week with a few tins of paint, I can certainly say it's a top piece of kit for the money. The image quality is top class for LCD and it's pretty quiet too (which helps as it's right above the sofa). I couldn't recomend it enough if that's the budget you're looking at!

7. thewul

thewul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    richmercer,
    what colour did you paint your screen, is it fabric or solid to go against a wall
    i`m about to embark on the same trip you see

8. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Thanks for all the replies :)

I live in the Scottish Highlands :thumbsdow

9. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thewul,

My screen is made of a timber frame with black out lining stretched across it. I painted the bo material using 3 coats of B&Q matt white emulsion. The picture looks great with it. However, the thing that really set the picture off was this weeks job. I bought a tin of blackboard paint which is about the mattest black you can get. Using masking tape around the edge of the screen, I painted a black border (2" top and bottom, and 4" down the sides) around the screen. Be carefull not to use too much paint on the brush else the paint will bleed under the tape onto the viewable area (I need to do a couple of touch up jobs where a bit of black got away). The black frame gives the picture a whole new dimension though and really is essential to the finish.

Also, before this week, the projector wasn't quite lined up properly so I was using a lot of Keystone correction and the picture wasn't quite right. Now I've dropped the pj down to line it up exactly (keystone set to 0 :) ) and it's another great improvement.

I'm going to be taking some photos tonight of my set up (once I've done some cable management) and I'll post a link to the gallery here for you to take a look.

If you have any question, I'm more than happy to answer them. That's what we're here for after all ;) .

Good luck,

Rich :cool:

10. thewul

thewul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    thanks rich,
    one of my main concerns with making my own screen was the finish of the area to project onto. Will a paint brush give a smooth enough finish or should i use a roller ...........or spray :confused:

11. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    What cables do I need to connect the projector to my DVD player? My DVD player is a Toshiba SD330E.

12. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    330e has component out, but it would not be progressive, so u could connect via s-video, Scart (RGB) via the supplied adaptor by Epson, or by Component cables.

Do u have an amp/rcver that supports Component switching ??

Delh

13. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used a paint brush with great result but I suppose a roller would give you the best finish. I am thinking about re-doing my screen anyway with the knowledge I have now. I am looking to build one out of MDF. Maybe.

Here is some photos of my setup. Link

14. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    RichMercer - Notice u are down the road from me - I'm in Nuneaton.
    I'm projecting on to Plasterboard painted with Dulux Icestorm 5 (7ft screen at the mo, still playing :))
    As i don't want to hi-jack Ewan's thread, would it be okay to PM u, to compare notes??

Ewan -Do u have plans for a screen yet, how large, type, etc??

It might be worth considering the Epson TW10 (1000 lumens/700:1 contrast ratio) at Technoworld, as it comes with a free 5ft widescreen screen (while stocks last, they describe it as a tripod screen). I say this, having seen screenshots of the 10, that are very favourable, & unless anyone knows different, may well have the same or similar output brightness/ contrast in theatre black mode as the H.( i never really thought about this when deciding which to buy)

U must remember to get up to 3000 hrs bulb life, u have to project in Theatre Black mode (recommended for dvd use anyway), that doesn't use the highest lumens.
    So the extra lumens may well never be used. (bulbs are the same price btw)

Just a thought.

Delh

15. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    I was just about to ask about a screen. I'm not really sure yet what to get.
    I don't really want to build a screen-I'm not very good at D.I.Y :rolleyes:

@Delh68- so I don't need to buy a cable to connect the projector to the DVD.

@Delh68- I don't know if my amp does Component switching. I am thinking about getting a new amp.

16. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the projector comes with an adapter from scart to RGBs but it's only about 6" long so if your ceiling mounting you'll want to find a better solution.

My amp does component switching but it really isn't much good. It means that you need to get an RGB to component converter for each thing you want to polug into your amp (and they're quite expensive, especially when buying three of them). As the component inputs on the amp don't support RGBs which the common DVD/Satelite receivers output through scart. If you are just pluggin in say a DVD player then yes, it's worth it, or if the DVD player already has component out. The solution I went for is this plugged into this control center with all the other components plugged into the control center. It really is superb.

And finally, regarding the screen, take a look in the screens forum where you'll find many peoples opinions about what is the best. But briefly, cost wise, a wall/ceiling mounted pull down screen seems to be the best value for money as the pre-made screens like the ones we make are upward of hundreds of £'s and not especially cheap. You quite easily speng over £500 on an average size screen. Can you see why we do it ourselves? Not to mention the satisfaction of a completed DIY project. :D

[wipes brow] That's it I think. That should do you for now. ;) :cool:

17. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    RichMercer - Unless it's my Pioneer Rcv'er, I actually have the supplied adaptor connected to the back of my Rcv'er(saves on a 10m scart lead), then plugged in Sky for RGB scart connection, works a treat, which would suggest that it supports RGBs doesn't it??

Delh68

18. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How many RCA sockets does your receiver have then? If it's 4 then yes, it supports RGBs, but if it's 3 then, I don't know. RGB requires four inputs from a Sky receiver (of course, it is possible to sync on green, but Sky boxes don't do that. They sync on composite, hence the fourth connection required). It all gets a bit complicated to be honest, but my Yamaha receiver only switches component and not RGB. I suppose it is down to the receiver. The other problem I have is that I need to switch Sky+, DVD, XBox and PS2 and most amps only switch 2 or 3 components. I don't know where you'd get a lead from that went from DVD to component/RGBs in this country (same goes for PS2 also). Sadly, my Sony DVD player doesn't have scart pass-thru so I can't daisy chain either.

Man, I'm clocking up some longish posts today!!

19. hotrod

hotrod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if i am hijacking the thread

i'm also interested in the tw10h for my new house as my budget doesn't stretch too far but want a big screen - does anyone know where to i can view one in the birmingham/south staffs area as i bought a plasma (and sold it) without seeing before and won't do that again. Has anyone tried using prog scan with a toshiba sd440, what is the quality like?

I am also thinking about getting an 82" (roughly, if my maths are correct) is sitting about 3 metres away too close? Are you going to notice any screendoor type effects.

Any help would be gratefully received

20. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    RichMercer, thankyou very much for those excellent photos. I'm having a tough time deciding which budget projector to buy (which will be my first PJ), but from the quality shown on those pictures I'm now 99% certain to go for the Epson. Cheers.

21. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a slighly smaller screen at about 68" but I would have thought that 82" is about the most you would want at that distance. I make that about 6' wide which is the size I am going to be building next. I don't notice and SDE on my screen, although that will depend on the quality of the screen you are viewing it on.

HTH

22. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, no problems. Pleasure to be of some help (I'll contact Epson and see if I can get some commision ;) ). [edit]I'll try and take some photos in ambient light also so you can see what it's like during the day. Those photos were done in theatre black mode so there is a lot more brightness to be had if required in a lighter environment.[/edit]

Like it says on the gallery, please ignore the marks which I am sure are the weave of the fabric as you really cannot see those with the naked eye. Has anyone else experienced this?

That said, I am looking at doing a screen on MDF (I think I said that before) which should completely do away with that effect. I just need some way of getting the MDF from the store to my house. Can't see it fitting in the back of my 206!!

23. hotrod

hotrod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the reply rich - nice photos by the way. do you know what the actual size of the screen you are using width and height - like i say the screen i will probably be getting is 173(w)x129(h) which according to y dodgy maths will give 80ish inches? (might be wrong on that though). Also whats the moving image like?any blurring or smearing on fast scenes?

24. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Nope, the picture is comparable to a big TV so there is no problems with action shots. No blurring at all.

If you go for a 16:9 screen (which you should) then those dimensions are wrong. If it's 173cm wide, then it should be 73.3cm high. That will give you a diagonal of about 188cm (74"). I think my screen diagonal is 68" but I need to measure it and check really.

25. hotrod

hotrod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry my mistake (its £129 :laugh: looked at the wrong column) it is a 16:9 from drhscreens its 173x97 which using pythagoras give about 80" (correct me if im wrong)

26. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Close, I make it 77.5". Either way, that will be fine from 3m away.

The formula is (width squared + height squared ) square root.

I couldn't figure out how to do superscript so had to type it all. ;)

27. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    hotrod - If u want to see one in action on painted Icestorm 5, Nuneaton is about 25 miles from Cannock (i think), u are welcome to have a gander (using progressive DVD Recorder, looping thru a pioneer DVD player & sky), have a dreamcast & saturn kicking around too if u want to have a look at game consoles, or even a laserdisc player!
    My screen is currently 7ft diagonally & sitting about 3 metres away, so might make an interesting visit

Delh68

28. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Richmercer - I just use the associated Composite port with the Component port on the back of the receiver to enable the adaptor cable to work in RGB

Delh68

29. hotrod

hotrod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Delh68 - thanks for the offer ygm :D

30. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmmm, see I don't think (from memory) I have a composite for each channel which is my problem. I might take a quick look tonight. I still have more devices than I can connect through the amp so I don't mind so much in my setup.