1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson EMP TW100 & Yamaha LPX 500?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kane D Williams, Feb 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi folks

Anyone seen any of these in action? The Epson is now available in the UK, well, at least it is being advertised in the UK mags!

Both look very interesting!!! I hope someone will be able to give us their opinion of the PQ of these PJ's soon?

Cheers Kane.

2. CoolioCat

CoolioCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have em arriving start of next week hopefully. Will do a full test on them, and if i don't like em, will sell em on and get a plasma. Looking to get the Yamaha LPX500 for myself. Apparently they are stunning and pretty much silent.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
  4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    It is with a few tweaks. Less light spill from the side of the unit (though I see absolutely nothing from my TW100) and slightly quieter I think.

If anyone's in the cardiff area and wants to see a TW100 just let me know. (Mine will be back from Epson next week who are checking it out as I am sure it is now noisier than it used to be)

5. CoolioCat

CoolioCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TW100 (newer model) *still* has light leakage! - from the front grill for instance. Plus, as it's a regular Epson box, the noise is annoying (rather than loud).

The menus on the Yamaha are better designed, with more options, and the unit itself has clearly been designed for serious users to play with. The Yamy chassis is also a custom job, so it's sleak and silent. Throws out a LOT of hot air though.

Almost all the internal components of the Yamaha are Epson. The Yamaha does, however, have slightly different (and more of em) ports...

One of our clients has asked to check out some projectors for home cinema, so i'll no doubt throw him the one (expecting it to be the Epson) i don't keep for myself, unless i find neither suitable for ma home :p In which case, i'll sell one on here :) Anyone looking for a bargain? :)

Very impressed with the Hitachi plasma - the 42PMA400E...

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    When you expecting them CoolioCat? Be very interested in your thoughts/opinions.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    Mr CAT: Are you in the industry? Sounds like you are. If so you might want to put your employment details in your profile or sig file

Gordon

8. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my lpx500 arrives tomorrow, i will post a review comparing it to my previous lamp bug(gered?) HS10, after i get all of my cabling in.

am looking forward to the direct RGB feed from Sky+ in to its internal faroudja scaler..mmm.

cheers

9. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just bumping this thread back to the top. WebLoader, where did you get your PJ from (PM me if you want)... also CoolioCat, what was the outcome of your comparison?

Thanks - also interested in one or other of these (and also HS10). Decisions decisions...

10. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mr w u have a pm

11. CoolioCat

CoolioCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yamaha LPX-500 - awesome. Quieter than the Epson TW100, and altogether far sexier. Excellent image - perhaps the finest i have ever seen on an LCD. Better than VW12HT? I reckon so ... but it's a personal opinion of course :) Is actually quite a large unit, but very very light. Not too impressed with the lens cap though. Very poor indeed. However, clarity is truly superb, and as long as you aren't going much past "110, you can't get much better in LCD land. Point blank. Superb menu system too.

Sharp Z9000 - no bloody DVI port... well fancy that. Add to it rainbow land problems, and i wasn't impressed. Monster of a unit though. Blacks looked awesome, but bloody rainbows. I swear, all the peeps who review these units for mags etc. must be as blind as bats. 2 of the 5 of us gathered fell victim to teletubbie rainbow land effects - and got headaches to go with it.

Sharp Z10000 - oh sweet baby. DVI, DLP2... Less of a rainbow problem - unless I was distracted by someone else then looked back at the screen quickly... Weird effects on this unit, and it's nosier than some (though not a Sim2). However, the horrendous price means, despite being a SUPERB - PERHAPS THE NO.1 EVER DLP - it's IMHO not worth spending that much.

I know some of you peeps are loaded :) But even so, damn, the Yamy puts out a beautiful image, and i can't see how i'd ever see anyone wanting more than it (for everday, non-specfic use at least).

Tests conducted on 1.3 gain and 3.0 gain screens from Vutec. Oh - and on my 4 car (2x2) garage' door. It was an awesome widesceen) :rolleyes: More projectors were tested, but were pretty unremarkable.

The Sony HS10 was good - but noisy and far too dark for my liking. Not sure it was actually performing properly... However, an excellent bargain projector.

The Sony VW12HT was a quite stunning projector, and ever so tempting... Yummy. BUT the Yamaha wins for a brighter and more versatile picture. Could never get this unit looking 'excellent' on GTA: Vice City or on TV signals. Too dark, much like the HS10 (though that suffered from lack of range - in colour and brightness). However, The Matrix really looked picture perfect. 2nd best LCD ever :)

Anyway, all the proj's are sold except 2 of the Yamahas (would you freakin believe). I think those who see no rainbows are simply going to want a DLP. I pity the friends/family members that do see them - on a ££££ expensive projector too - nasty.

This was a quick review as i wrote a massive one - didn't save it - left the computer running - it locked up - lost the entire thing - then realised in retyping it wouldn't have fitted in here anyway without multiple posting. *sigh*

Feel free to ask any questions though.... or indeed put up any offers on one of the two Yamahas (i'm probably keeping one myself. Both units are Jap models, but full english menus, manual, warranty, etc. Any offers around £3000 will be accepted).

12. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cooliocat,

Id be interested to hear a little more about the VW12 HT, especially noise, and what you thought of the blacks?... Image vs the HS10 and TW100/LPX 500.

What is the warrenty on the LPX500, how long and if there are problems is it returned to Japan or yamaha uk, or is it worldwide like the Epson?

What is yamaha dead pixel policy like?

Its a pity you lost the big review, its always interesting to get shootout feedback.

Thx

Vex.

Oh... what was the source of DVD playback?.... dvd player or HTPC?

13. CoolioCat

CoolioCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, didn't fancy re-writing at 1am :(

The blacks on the VW12HT are absolutely gorgeous. I think it has more depth and brings out details in shadows better than pretty much any lcd projector. However, the image does appear - certainly without screwing about with settings too much - alot darker. Raising brightness/contrast seemed to brighten the middle of the screen, and less so the left and right areas. Only slightly though. The noise was not a problem for me, but it wasn't as quiet as the Yamy. XBOX/Gamecube Q are both louder than the Yamaha. In fairness, the VW12HT sat projecting most of the time on a 3.1 gain, which personally i dislike alot. This probably highlighted the stupid central bright spot. More testing needs to be done with this unit i think. I'm of a mind it could be a better picture than the Yamaha when set up properly, and only ever used for films. The Yamy has such a brill menu, and excellent settings, it's quick to move about the 4 stored prefs. It's range from dark to bright, focus, image depth and detail points, etc. is truly superb. The Epson can do it as well mind, but with a less sophisticated menu system, it takes some effort :(

Image quality against the HS10 - the Epson/Yamy are both better. Sharper images, far more range across the board, better connections, better menu systems - particularly the Yamy. However, the HS10 can be picked up cheap lots of places now.

Depends a lot on your desired use. If you aren't going too big, and can't be bothered with an expensive screen, get a HS10 if it's cheap. We had an enormous room, so it should be pointed out screendoor and other throw problems never really bothered us. (It's over 30feet in length.)

That is a point worth mentioning. The Yamaha/Epson both prefer a long throw distance. Image was about 36" when 1.2m from the surface. (There was a table at this distance - which allowed us to turn on the projs and get them runnin properly before moving to a fixed pedestal futher back). Both units really impressed with big "110 images a few metres back (16 feet)

The warranty is for 1 year, in Japan. The projector will be arrive in Japan 4 days after we send it back, free of charge, and a replacement unit will wing it's way back to you instantly. I am positive you will receive a better and more satisfactory experience via us this way than if you took it to Yam/Epson direct in the UK, without a doubt.

However, i'm not touting for business, and we aren't moving into this market of selling direct to the public unless it's to knowledgeable people. We can get you any projector you want, as long as it exists.

Should have a JVC DLA projector soon - i forget the code no, despite us ordering it our request. (lack of sleep i guess).... wait.. SX21... Poor contrast, but app. it's 'the bomb' of all projectors EVER. I want one :) Need to have light control in your room though, and it's going to be expensive.

Gah, that's another point from the review... The Epson/Yamaha performed BY FAR THE BEST in daylight conditions. They were STUNNING. We also used standard powersaving halogen lights giving the room a typical England yellow glow, and they continued to project a BRIGHT! image which was absolutely watchable. This was one of the most impressive feats in projector land i've ever seen, and partly why we finished with the Epson/Yamaha units projecting the longest. Everyone picked up on this fact.

14. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Have sent you a PM CoolioCat

15. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have finally completed the wiring for my lpx500 , and will be posting a review in the next few days. it is good, but i dont think it beats the hs10 in *every* area.

16. CoolioCat

CoolioCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh :) All eyes see a different world i guess :) Just to let you all know, we test interlace/progressive scan Cube/XBOX, plus Enter the Matrix and Vice City on PCI via DVI, plus spreadsheets. DVD playback via DVI/RGB/XBOX (progressive)/Kiss 450 (haven't messed with the 800x600 stuff yet) and Harmon Kardon 25. Should really have mentioned this earlier.

Cool... anyway, the more opinions and thoughts the better :) We are all here to try and educate and suggest proj's to each other.

Looking forward to the JVC though... yum yum.

17. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    coolio

do you have a source for a component cable for a uk gamecube?
    I have heard £40 plus which seems ridiculous.

cheers

18. CoolioCat

CoolioCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should be about £25 inc. postage to you.

Next shipment from Kowloon is Thursday, so let me know by then if you want one. I could also get you a VGA cable (custom made) - which i believe now supports both interlaced and progressive - rather than just the progressive - if you prefer.

Probably better off with component though.

Let me know.

19. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Another PM sent to CoolioCat... you need to setup your email notification for PMs !

20. RoyBad

RoyBad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse me Coolio,

You've said you can get the Yamaha LPX 500 .... but what about dead pixel policy? I'd be really interested in getting one - I was about to buy one from PriceJapan

Cheers
    Roy

21. CoolioCat

CoolioCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are checked before dispatch.

22. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Cooliocat,

Gordon F already posted in this thread.......

It appears from this

that you are dealing/selling projectors. Maybe some of the other posters on this thread know you personally, but it would really help if you posted your name and business details ( in the same way that Gordon Fraser, Roland Brooks or Chris Frost do) so that people reading your posts/reviews/opinions can clearly see that you have a commercial interest in the matter.

If "Cooliocat" is a commercial sponsor or advertiser on the forum, and if you are using a thread to let members know of deals available, then it would be helpful if this were made explicit in some way, so that other members or visitors to the forum would know who was posting.

Sean G.

23. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm concerned about the number of PMs being exchanged here & conscious of possible trading outside the appropriate forum.

I trust all involved will take note & hope it's not necessary to close this thread.

:smoke:

24. CoolioCat

CoolioCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not in any way deal or sell projectors as a business. I'm a film-maker, and run by own production studio. We have excellent contacts in China, Korea and HK and Japan which we often call upon to assist our clients (mostly old clients from our IT business) in obtaining various electronics or whatever.

We happened to get a whole load of projectors over to test, as it was something everyone was very interested in - clients and us. Simple as that.

There is one left, which is for sale in the 'classified section'.

I have done nothing wrong, nor have any the members choosing to private msg me. If they are seeking advice on how to order from Japan, or assistance in any way, it's clear from the outset we make no profit, and seek in no way to advertise our services.

The kowloon comment was in reg. to console equipment - LTD edition Gameboy Advance SP, various cables, the odd retro game for a collector or two, etc. It was a freakin £25 cable.
    We've been in the games/it business so long, it's sometimes hard to ignore old games/IT peeps requests. Again, little or no profit is ever made, as everyone who knows me will confirm.

As far as advertising deals to other members... Forget about it. I can do without the hassle of bothering our contacts with a bunch load of you lot. I at no point advertise 'special deals' - this Yam was a one off. If people want to ask me priv. or publicly if we can get something for them, so be it. I won't come into this place everytime to clarify whether something someone has asked is 'permitted'. If i declare deals are available on request, it becomes a business and we are not setup to do this. However, if someone chooses to ask me something, i'll reply.

Take a pill.

We're not using this board to advertise our services or offering repeatable deals. It's the usual case of 'ask' and i'll help if i can. But i'm not volunteering, as this would create a mammoth request onslaught.

In regard to the signature, i have no desire to advertise who i am or what i professionalise in, as i don't seek to hold any authoritive position in this forum, nor use it to promote anything. I'm merely another voice. If it's a voice that can help peeps out privately from time to time, so be it, much like many of you do. I have received msg.s from only 2 or 3 members. If it had been more, i would certainly have moved to stem it a little with a more public statement.

I should also point out, those who have asked to ring me or have a chat, i've happily agreed. While i don't advertise my company, my contacts, sources, abilities etc. like some of you lot, i make no attempt whatsoever to avoid any request for a voice to talk to, etc. if they are at all concerned about something they are buying through another company, or whatever it is.

Again, i don't advertise this (and would ask people to not deluge me with requests). But if the odd one takes it upon themselves to ask and push for info, so be it.

I have no desire to come on in here all the time, ponce about and show off my tech knowledge, contacts, deals etc. or anything else for that matter :)

You gotta understand, life doesn't exist in here alone, and if someone rings me having obtained my details from someone else in here, or via some priv. msg or another, i'm not going to say 'oh this is avforum stuff and should all be written in their boards'. Crap to that, we have a phone chat, lots of questions get asked faster than pages of text, and someone goes away happier and more informed - i hope - and it's actually often me.

If i say to them 'we can get it for you' i'll ALWAYS say 'or you can do it yourself this way' - and describe exactly how we would do it. It's entirely up to you.

And that, quite frankly, is the way it is.

If you wish to close the thread as threatened, so be it. Do so.

There is no attempt to sell (other than our remaining unit), or repeat sale. If i wanted to, i'd make a far more professional and explicit effort.

I was simply commenting on projectors. If peeps ask me publicly if i can get them something because they happen to see i've mentioned 'progressive scan' and 'gamecube' in public, or that i've received stuff from various places, so what. Quite frankly, mods, i don't give a damn.

25. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Cooliocat,

A simple request for clarification seems to have bothered you, eliciting a defensive (and to a certain extent, rude) response. If you considered my post earlier tonight as having been accusatory in any respect, it certainly wasn't intended in that spirit - you have had access to a smashing range of projectors, and I was interested to know more about whether you were, and how you were dealing in them, no more and no less.

It's unfortunate that you appear to be so offended - the reply in your first post responding is perfectly clear. The other posts aren't worth commenting on.

Sean G.

26. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    coolio
    posting after a night in the pub? :)

seriously, i forgot to get back to you on the gc component cable, can i order it from you or have i missed the boat (literally!)
    send me a pm ... if u can be bothered!

27. CoolioCat

CoolioCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha heh *ahem* I warned people about not asking me to post after midnight. Strange things happen. Don't react well to authority figures at that time of night. Certainly didn't mean to be rude :)

Webloader: sure you can matey, i'll priv. msg you when it turns up. Bothered? Gah, don't take the above too seriously, you lot aren't THAT annoying :) Was trying to impress i don't make a point of flying about selling stuff in boards etc. when i shouldn't be, that's all :smashin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.