1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson EMP TW10 Screen size

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by willsy2, Apr 27, 2005.

1. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi there.
    I'm new to projectors, and am thinking about buying an Epson TW10 for my son's room for him to use his consoles & an HTPC running Meedio.
    I'll be projecting from a space above a built in wardrobe about 3m from the wall i want to project onto. Problem is the maximum width i can get for the screen is 1.5m (height is no problem).
    Will i have a problem ? I've downloaded the user manual, but as i'm a newbie, find it a bit confusing.

Thanks

2. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_10+-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Have a look at this. This is the US Equivalent of the TW10H, it looks close but the smallest at 3 metres is 166cm horizontal. You can play about with any parameter and it will give full estimated dimensions.

I have this projector and this was a problem for me, in the end I have built a shelf on the back wall with a pull out platform using drawer runners to get it about 30 cm's closer to the screen to get the correct screen size.

3. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for the reply. Good idea using runners. I might also look at using a ceiling mount if i need to.
    BTW what are your impressionsof the projector? Like i said i'm new to this, and don't want to be put off by choosing the wrong piece of kit.

4. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am very impressed with it, have a search and there is a lot of praise for this kit.

Its easy to use, the picture quality is good, and at the size of screen your looking at as long as your not too close you won't see any imperfections. I have a 180cm screen width and view from about 3m and its great.

I haven't compared this with others so can't comment but for the money this is a steal. There are undoutedly better out there and if I had more money I may well have bought something different, but at this pricepoint it exceeded my expectations by a mile.

Again, search this forum and many others agree. Theres also a cheap Benq one (6100???) thats DLP which people rate.

5. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Lee789

Ordered the Epson PJ, you don't have any pics or other details of your pull out platform do you? I'm definitely going to have to use a similar system as i want to keep it out of the way when not in use, for protection from flying objects as well as the ceilings being a bit low.

Cheers

6. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Here are a few pictures.

The projector is mounted on a piece of laminated board. This was a bit tricky to do, it took a few attempts as you can see with the number of holes in it.

The problem with the projector is that its a funny shape, i.e. not square, so there is no easy way to line it parallel to the screen, other than trial and luck (well not quite trial or luck but its tricky).

So ideally I should have bought a true mount, but as the drawer runners were £2.99 and the board was free, I didn't really want to spend £60+ on a projector mount. The bolts are M4 (or M3 can't remember) about 2/3 inches long with a bolt and washer. The bolt and washer on the platform can raise and lower the projector to get the right level.

The shelf was £60.00 from ikea , its called lack and is in a few colours.

I also made the screen, but I'm not totally happy with it , it needs some work as its difficult to keep flat, it really needs stretching round some kind of frame. But at the minute I can roll it up out of the way when not in use.

I found all this works really well and best of all as its out of the way , her indoors is happy. Plus the projector was just over £500, screen about £12, £2.99 for the runners and if you include the shelf for £60 its still all in at under £600. Cheaper than my 32" Sony widescreen CRT and infinitly better.

Hope this helps I think you'll enjoy your purchase.

Cheers

Lee

(edit: the pictures are big, hoped they would be smaller to hide the wires etc. I still have a few finishing touches!!)

Attached Files:

7. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks Lee

Can't wait to get the projector, i'm really looking forward to seeing what DVD's & my son's XBox look like on it.

The pic's really helped, looks a really good setup, think i've got a few solutions in mind now. One problem - I hate going to IKEA :suicide:

I'm also looking to make my own screen,what materials did you use?

Sorry to keep asking questions!!

Colin

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Ingenious idea with the retractable shelf. :smashin:

Agree your screen needs some work though! Painted MDF / hardboard will leave you change from 20 quid!

Cheers...PJ :)

9. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The idea was to make something that could be rolled up and stored away easily.

I made the screen with a piece of blackout material, then I (the missus) stitched a sleeve at the top and bottom to run some 2"x1" through. I was hoping that the weight of the bottom piece would keep it flat, it doesn't so don't bother !

I think the ideal way would be to make a frame and stretch the material around, but then it would fixed or as PJTX100 says a piece of painted mdf. But I wanted something that would fold away.

Anyway, let us know how you get on.

10. dave_h34

dave_h34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Have you tried a black out roller blind? The bottom 'bar' and the way it is usually wound reasonably tightly when up seems to keep it fairly flat when down. Nice idea with the drawer runners btw, I do love a bit of ingenious low cost installation work. My blind was £23 from Dunelm, is pretty much invisable when up, and although not a real projector screen, does the job well enough for the time being with my Epson tw10h. Piccys attached.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I'm just sorting out my AV reciever and speakers - budget's a bit stretched as i initially was looking at a second hand PJ.
    Will post some pics when it's done.
    Thanks for all the ideas.

Colin

PS saw the PJ in PC World today - it's a chunky bit of kit isn't it. The Infocus X2 looked dwarfed next to it.