1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson EMP TW10 or ScreenPlay 4805

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by keithris, Apr 15, 2005.

1. keithris

keithris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody have an opinion on which is the best value for money. The Epson EMP - TW10 or the Infocus Screenplay 4805. Both seem to get good reviews for budget projectors but there is still a £400 gap in price between the two. Is the extra money for the Screenplay 4805 worth it?

2. FaB*Bo*Peep

FaB*Bo*Peep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive me for being lazy - I have cut + pasted my below response from another similar post of mine, (I bring to your attention the part marked with ****** as in my opinion this answers your question exactly, (but I must stress this is just my opinion :smashin: ):

"I have had my Epson TW10 for a couple of months now and can honestly say that I am constantly amazed by the picture quality every time I turn it on, (and I am not easily satisfied trust me) .

I am currently feeding it a progressive scan signal via a component lead from a Pioneer 575 dvd player, but even when I had an older dvd player linked up via a non progressive scan s-video lead the results were still awesome .

looking at the images produced on screen it is hard to believe that this projector has such a basic resolution, the images look far better than the paper specs suggest.

Thats not to say that there are not better projectors out there because undoubtedly there are, but keeping in mind the price of the TW10, ******I doubt very much if I would enjoy watching a film any more on a more expensive projector******, coupled with a decent sound system the whole experience is totaly incredible.

For the money I think you will be hard pushed to find a better projector."

3. dj

dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The optoma Themescene H30A is now the same price as the screenplay 4805 and is worth looking at.

If you are looking for something at a low price point the Benq 5120 can be picked up for about £600 with a free x-box this is a native 16:9 chipset, but has a slower colour wheel than the Optoma and Screenplay.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Well, it's a bit of a strange comparison.

As someone mentioned, the Benq 5210 and the TW10 is probably an interesting choice at around £600.

The Hitachi TX100, Screenplay 4805, and the optoma H30a are another interesting comparison for around £1K.

The Tosh MT200 lies somewhere in between.

If you are asking is it worth jumping from £600 to £1K my gut feel is yes, but your biggest quandry is what to go for at £1K.

...PJ

5. keithris

keithris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just come across a special offer on http://www.cclonline.co.uk for the Epson TW10, Toshiba SD 44 home cinema system and 70" screen for £757.
    Seems like a good deal to me...any comments?

6. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    That link doesn't work. Try this one

7. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Have you had a look at BenQ PB6100. Great DLP machine for less then 600 quid. Much better spec then the TW10.

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Cybes.

Prompted by your obvious enthusiasm I had a look at the Benq site. And they certainly seem to produce some nice kit.

However I am a bit confused, 'cause judging by their site they seem to aim the 6100 mainly at the data projector market? And it seems to be native 4:3?

The 5120 seems to be their budget home cinema offering? Native 16:9.

Now, I'm not saying that the 6100 doesn't do a fine job, but I think it would be best to point people at the 5120 unless they really do want something that's a 4:3 data projector?

...PJ :)

9. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174

You do have a good point but i'll only recommend kit i've used and owned. The 5120 is probably a great machine. Maybe i'll side grade to it but I can't recommend a machine i've not even seen.

However. The 6100 is a great bit of kit for home theater.

Here's a snippet from the projector-central review

10. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I Have a Benq 5120 and for the money, it' a great projector. Saying that, it's the first PJ I've owned so I'm waiting for the wow factor to wear off. The proof in the pudding will be when I take it round to my mate's house. I will then be able to do a direct comparison against his 4805.
    Will report back with my findings when I have them.

11. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Looking forward to it. Make sure you bring a film with you that you are familiar with.

12. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if the 6200 and 6100 are calibrated apropriately they are fine projectors, im inclined to agree they are targeted at the data market as they only have vga, composite and svideo inputs however they accept component through a vga adapter... thats what im using, the picture quality is impressive and i chose it over the 4805 (PB6200) because of the native resolution.

13. keithris

keithris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The more I learn the more difficult the decision is becoming. I can't bare the idea of getting rainbow headaches on a DLP machine. I wonder what percentage of users are badly affected by this (the forums seem to be full of em). I've decided to go for the Epson TW10. I'll let you know if it was a mistake...fingers crossed ;) Thanks for your help anyway. The BenQ 5120 did look interesting but just not prepared to take the risk with a 2X wheel.

14. keithris

keithris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Epson TW10 arrived next day. Well done Dabs, very efficient. For £550 a 90" picture is pretty great value. Impressive but not perfect picture, would have liked deeper blacks and more detail in the shadows with a little less square pixels showing, but all in all great value I think. Waitng now for proper cables, progressive scan DVD and surround sound system. That should help ;-)

15. FaB*Bo*Peep

FaB*Bo*Peep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have not already - try the TW10 in "theatre black mode" which in my opinion is by far the best for viewing films, (not to mention the fact that it reduces fan noise and increases bulb life) :thumbsup:

16. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    90" is really pushing the picture size for the TW10. Big pictures are great, but you sacrifice a lot of brightness and suffer more screen door. Tweak it down to say, a 75" picture and it will look a whole lot better.